WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I am new to G-Shock. Just got my GWM-5610 an hour ago (ordered from Amazon this week).

Did a quick comparison about the renowned GWM-5610 with the budget F-91W, and surprisingly found that the viewing angle is bad on the GWM-5610, at least compared to the very cheap F-91W.

Is it common, or is the GWM-5610 supposed to look like this?
I admit it is a little shocking to me to see the panel on GWM-5610, and realize how clear the panel on the F-91w is.

5610_1.jpg
91w_1.jpg
both_1.jpg
both_2.jpg

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hi guys, I am new to G-Shock. Just got my GWM-5610 an hour ago (ordered from Amazon this week).

Did a quick comparison about the renowned GWM-5610 with the budget F-91W, and surprisingly found that the viewing angle is bad on the GWM-5610, at least compared to the very cheap F-91W.

Is it common, or is the GWM-5610 supposed to look like this?
I admit it is a little shocking to me to see the panel on GWM-5610, and realize how clear the panel on the F-91w is.

View attachment 12509495
View attachment 12509497
View attachment 12509499
View attachment 12509501
Casio watches without the EL backlight, that have a small bulb on the side generally have a MUCH better contrast and viewing angle so I find this normal

WatchGeek YT Channel

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,202 Posts
this!!! :)

Casio watches without the EL backlight, that have a small bulb on the side generally have a MUCH better contrast and viewing angle so I find this normal

WatchGeek YT Channel

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,202 Posts
Rant on

Yes, that somewhat catastrophic.

Its not only the lost fun of WRUW etc. but a lot of tutorials will become useless too.

The current cloud service policy sucks.
It seems that a lot of buisnesses try to lure you into total dependency to their services and then rise the wages.

Im somewhat curious now how the younger hosting services from Google, Apple , Microsoft, facebook and Amazon behave when they think that the masses are hooked and cant switch to other services easy.

And of course i have no good plan for a next reliable hoster.
I will use this site attachment service so far and keep always a local copy of everything!

Rant off

a bit OT but your signature just explained all the missing pics on this and other forums!!!!

Wow that is bad on their side!!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I know what you mean. I got my first G-Shock (a GW-M5610 like yours) earlier this summer, after having Timex for years. That was an adjustment! I find the Ironman display immensely more legible than the Casio. It took some practice to remember to angle it just right by more diligently angling my wrist straight at my eyeline.

Nice watch, by the way! I'm a fan of mine.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If I have been informed correctly it's the angle of the polarizing filter. They are apparently using different types or orientations to get the specific results. This has been one of the disadvantages of digital displays from the beginning of LCD.

LED didn't, tho. We (sh)could return to it but it has higher power consumption. An LED four color display won't need filtering - and the brightness level is excellent. They just have to power every tiny pixel. Electric watches have negative issues for every positive.

It's not a problem with analogs using flat crystals, if the chapter ring depth is reasonable. I can read the time on my GAX 100B at angles much lower than the SGW Casio digital display. If you can see the hands, you can interpret the time, even with 45% of the dial markers obscured.

Advantages and disadvantages.

I'd like to see a chart with a lot of these features measured and listed to show which does what, or at least become part of a standard list of things reported when reviewing a digital watch. I find the poorly angled displays more than annoying when I'm forced to twist my wrist everytime I want to view the time during the day. I guess I've worn too many diver analogs to trade away reading the time.

·
Premium Member
6,695 Posts
More than any square or early MRG I have, the best clarity from extreme viewing angles are on my G-7800 and G-8000. I can read them basically no matter how far I turn my wrist away. I usually check the time between zero and what I guess is 10-20 degrees anyway. I had some led's in days past (Pulsar, Texas Instrument, Fossil, Bulova) and I love them. However they are battery hogs as mentioned, some had 2 batteries, and I'd rather turn my wrist a centimeter to see the time than than press a button any day.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
More than any square or early MRG I have, the best clarity from extreme viewing angles are on my G-7800 and G-8000. I can read them basically no matter how far I turn my wrist away. I usually check the time between zero and what I guess is 10-20 degrees anyway. I had some led's in days past (Pulsar, Texas Instrument, Fossil, Bulova) and I love them. However they are battery hogs as mentioned, some had 2 batteries, and I'd rather turn my wrist a centimeter to see the time than than press a button any day.
At present I have two digitals, one positive and the other not. Just have to turn the wrist/Watch ever so slightly to get a perfect read. Not an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I returned mine for the same reason. My 22 year old databank 50 was easier to read. I could understand the atomic being iffy, but not being able to read time is just sadden me.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Yes that module is quite limited, but my GW5000 is better.

Also, many Casios with backlight are better too, actually the one with broader visual angle I have is the DW5030D with sunburst dial.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont think it is normal for GWM-5610 to have such display, it should be clearer, maybe you should bring it back to the seller and inquire about it. Good luck .

·
Registered
645 Posts
That is normal. Is synonymous with my GW-M5600 similar. Reasons have already been mentioned.

But never had problems reading the time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry for reviving a necro thread, but this is also what I noticed with mine today as I am playing through the menu..

this is what I see when the watch is on my wrist and trying to look at the time:

then I have to tilt my arm away to get a clearer picture:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Sorry for reviving a necro thread, but this is also what I noticed with mine today as I am playing through the menu..

this is what I see when the watch is on my wrist and trying to look at the time:

then I have to tilt my arm away to get a clearer picture:
Both seem fine. It’s showing 8888 segments that bothers people.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's obviously a slight angle / reflection issue because the digits are clear enough when you get it just right, wouldn't be too much of an issue for me.

If you think the F-91 is impressive, check out the B640 - amazing contrast and clarity.

B640WB-1AEF.JPG
B640WB-1AEF (2).JPG

Incidentally, has anyone got side by side comparisons of a regular display versus STN?
I've read a lot of posts with comments like "I'd love that one if only it had an STN display".
The main benefit as far as I can tell is better legibility in direct sunlight, have you found that to be true?
Also, a quick web-search brought up the CSTN, where a range of colours can be used and HPA with better response times and contrast.

Do you think there's any likelihood of digitals appearing where we can choose from a range of display colours at the touch of a button?

Update: Just watched a video comparison between two similar Pro-Treks, not much in it in terms of sharpness and clarity but the STN display definitely had much better viewing angles. The reviewer also mentioned improved readability in all lighting conditions, so I guess that answers most of my questions above.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts