WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GWM5600-1JF has arrived and I want to share with you my impressions. Without doubt this is a timepiece true to the original G-Shock DNA. Its desing cues come directly from the venerable DW5000 of 1983. That makes the watch visually atractive and comfortable to wear. It is relatively small, light, and colorful without exaggeration. It is my opinion that this can be a very good all-around beater for any occasion.

The 3063 Module reacted very quickly to the first manual sincronization (North America). The World Time mode includes 48 cities (29 time zones) from all over the planet. It's something of a disappointment for me that Casio didn't reprogrammed the module to reflect the new time zone for Venezuela (CCS), which is, since last December, half an hour less than it used to be (GMT -4.30 now). For a model going into the market this very Febraury (two months later after that change), it's a major overlook. I do travel frequently to Venezuela, and if I'm wearing this watch I would have to make a mental substraction, something you wouldn't expect to do wearing a watch of the Multiband 5 series and its world time appeal.

The 1000 hours Stopwatch is more than enough than you need for measuring elapsed and split times. No problem there.

The 60 minutes Timer is, as many in this forum know, a significant shortcoming of all G-Shock Waveceptors, so nothing new here. Auto-repeat is not possible in this mode either.

The watch has 5 daily alarms and the classic Hourly Time Signal. The first alarm can be set to snooze, that is, to beep up to seven times at five-minute intervals after reaching the target time. You can't target the alarms for specific days, dates or months, as in some basic G-Shocks

The strap has the typical extra flexibility of the DW5600 and G5600 models. It's really very comfortable.

A good EL with Auto EL function complets the package.

You can see day, month and date in the main display. Current time is visible in Timer and Alarm modes, but not in Stopwatch mode.

With everything, I'm liking this model. The red trim and the blue lettering on the cristal are very nice. As I said, it's an upgraded classic, yes, but not yet to perfection.

Now I'm waiting for the reversed display version.

Thanks for looking. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the impressions and great pics! I am currently awaiting the arrival of mine as well as the reverse display version I just ordered today. Next week is gonna be a good week.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
That's great shots and yes it looks just like the orginal first g-shock dw-5000 and more high tech and it's my next wish list.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. guys. Much appreciated. :)

I'm liking this one by the minute. It's almost a Multiband 5600E, if I may put it that way, It's little and unobtrusive, light, simple.

Some quick pics of it with a DW5600E. As you can see, the strap is even a little less wide in the GWM5600:

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the digits seem as deep into the watch as they do on the G5600 or are do they seem closer to the glass as in the dw5600 or gw5600.

Thanks,
Ryan
Hi RWare,

The digits are as close to the crystal as in a DW5600.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Excellent writing Vintage. I also like all the comparison shots :-!.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vintage, where did you buy it from? I've been searching the forum and the www, and can't find anything... Thanks for the help!

P.S. give me a break... I'm new!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seamaster and Vintage, thanks for the info... I will be ordering one soon. Do you know if Casio is going to sell this model in the US? and if so, when?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
557 Posts
As much as I'd love to own one, I'm having a lot of difficulty in justifying the ~$175 (and up) price just for the convenience of having the day and date displayed simultaneously. Maybe if/when the prices come down to less than $100, I'll consider it seriously.

·
Banned
98 Posts
As much as I'd love to own one, I'm having a lot of difficulty in justifying the ~$175 (and up) price just for the convenience of having the day and date displayed simultaneously. Maybe if/when the prices come down to less than $100, I'll consider it seriously.
I would like to have one too, but it is rather expensive for this G. When do you think the price will drop?

Watcheye

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
The prices will only really drop once enough people have bought them and started selling them used. It might take a bit, as the models are so "new".

I think you could pick up a deal on a GW-5500, and put the module in a proper fitting 5600 (don't know which it would fit best in) :-!, as that's what this model is.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts