GX-56 or GXW-56

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I did search. With all the recent GX-56 posts I got to wondering what about the atomic sync King? Then I got to thinking there wasn't one, so checked ebay, and sure enough there was and I was not losing it.

So, why all the GX posts? For me, if I was going to spend the money, I'd go the little bit extra to get the atomic sync'd King.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
the original GX is already solar; in a lot of cases, adding "W" makes it atomic and solar, which is a big difference. in this case, its just atomic, thats the only difference, and the price is more than TWICE in some cases just to have atomic. you can find the black/red non-atomic for about 100 bucks, whereas the atomic usually runs anywhere from 250-300. for that much, you could buy the non-atomic black/red, plus the non-atomic orange one which usually goes for about 130, and still have money left over!

its up to each guy whether atomic is cool/necessary, but for my money, an extra 150 bucks just for atomic on the same watch is crazy sauce. the ONLY reason i see for that extra dough would be either the DGK/purple one, which only comes atomic and you cant buy cheaper, or the blue/black GXW, which is the same case. but then, you're paying for the exclusivity, not just the atomic feature.

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too like the blue/black one.

A quick look on ebay, and the price differential I saw was like 30-50 bucks. This was a few weeks ago though... and my memory is shot. I could see the reason with a $150 differential for sure.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
The only reasons you should pay the extra $150 has been summed up nicely by the others: either you are getting a DGK (which is the same as all the other Solar Kings save for the coloring) or the blue-black combo (which also has atomic). For people like me who live in Southeast Asia, atomic is not a useful feature. So if you ask me, I'd go for the GX.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I had to have the blue and black
IMAG0039.jpg

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Well let me start off by saying I own all the different models of The King. For me only I don't need to own the Atomic models. I do own the black with blue model it's only the 2nd atomic I own. I don't think the extra $$$ for Atomic model makes a difference to me. Don't get me wrong I love them all. They are all top of my rotation. New birthday G Shocks 001.jpg

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
If I were to get a King, I'd stay away from the GXW-56... the price difference just doesn't seem worth it. If you want the unique color scheme, maybe the parts can be ordered separately?

What I'm starting to appreciate is that for the person who builds up a Casio watch collection, the solar and atomic function becomes tedious. Because you need to keep the watches exposed to light (you can turn off the atomic sync). There's only so much window sill space... ;-)

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I think the price difference is mainly because the GXW is Japan only. If it would be a worldwide release then the difference between solar and atomic/solar would propably be much less - I checked the prices in Yen once and I think the difference between the atomic and non-atomic version considering the Japanese MSRP was only about 50US$ (or was it €?) - same as on most other Gs that come in both versions. So in general I'd go for atomic but not in this case - and I only got my GX because it was reduced in price - 149€ MSRP seemed way to high for me but 100€ seemed like an OK price. Prices for new releases are ridiculous anyway most of the time.

regards, Sedi :)

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,569 Posts
It's not really fair to compare these two models as the GXW version is onloy available in Japan. G-Shocks in Japan are expensive. Therefore you can't say you pay more because of the atomic time function. The DGK was also pretty expensive in Japan.

As for the function I love Atomic Time. Simply, because I have Shocks on rotation and I don't like setting them to the correct time every time. I work on a schoolpretty accurate time. 15 seconds a month is OK, but if I haven't worn a watch far a few months, it can be a few minutes.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess maybe I came at this poll a bit backwards. For one, like I said, when I posted it, I wasn't seeing that big of a difference on ebay. But the backwards part, maybe, is that I really like the atomic time, and could take or leave the solar. So, if two models are offered and one has atomic, and that's the only change, I'm going to like the atomic every time.

I think many of us here see the solar and atomic as tedious... but really it's only the solar part that is tedious if you don't wear the watch all the time.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I think many of us here see the solar and atomic as tedious... but really it's only the solar part that is tedious if you don't wear the watch all the time.
To those who work or live outside of the atomic transmitters' range, they have no choice -- it is the atomic that becomes tedious ;-)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To those who work or live outside of the atomic transmitters' range, they have no choice -- it is the atomic that becomes tedious ;-)
Oh, didn't even think of that. I travel a bit and I've not been outside of a transmitter's range since I got an atomic G. Yeah, why would you even think of paying extra for something you can't even use?

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
@over2land
Yes, sometimes it appears that those who live within the range kind of take the atomic technology for granted. Of course they will because the atomic sync is indeed a very useful feature, I think if I live stateside I would prefer Casio put atomic sync on every G-Shock sold there. But a large market is out there outside the range too, and Casio seems to have taken them into consideration. A good example of this would be the appearance of the non-atomic GF series.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For me it came down to $$$. I wear G's for the look and the durability more than anything else so the extra $100-150 just didn't make sense. I do think the atomic function is cool and look forward to someday owning one (none of my current 8 has it) but double the price for 1 function is pushing it. I also do not care where my G is made and while my GX-56-1B is from Japan Y that was just luck of the draw. I did like the black & blue version but that was also not enough to get me to spend the extra cash.

Maybe someday ;-)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
see, im the other way, i love the solar option (you can argue about whether it actually lasts longer than regular batteries, but regular batteries don't come with an onscreen battery meter) but don't like atomic. some of my watches, i like to set 5 or 10 minutes ahead and you would have to set them again every day if they atomically corrected themselves. i know some atomics have a feature that lets you turn the atomic receiving off, but if you're just going to turn it off, what's the point of having it?

·
Registered
174 Posts
What do you think about durability..do you think that GX-56 are more indestructable than GXW-56 cause of they have not a signal receiver? Sometimes I think that less functions mean more durability. Less technology means less possibility to break when they get a "kick".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts