WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just managed to snag myself the above on eBay this evening for £60, which for a second hand GXW56 in good condition is a bargain I think.

I now have three Kings (this one joins my GX56-4 and my GXW56-GB).

I wasn't really in the market for another King, but I always liked the only model to use a positive display, so when I happened upon this one at such a decent price, as a confirmed G-Shock addict I had to bid!

I'll be posting a photo of the new arrival as soon as it, er, arrives.

Will also pay a visit to the King count thread.

Cheers,
Ash

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Crikey that's a steal, figuratively speaking :p

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. When I was after my first King it was the 1B I wanted most due to the positive display, but fate brought me the GXW-56GB, which I must say I've loved every minute of owning. This latest purchase got me thinking - why did Casio choose to make the GXW Japan only? And is there another model of G-Shock that Casio have kept to their home market also?

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Thanks guys. When I was after my first King it was the 1B I wanted most due to the positive display, but fate brought me the GXW-56GB, which I must say I've loved every minute of owning. This latest purchase got me thinking - why did Casio choose to make the GXW Japan only? And is there another model of G-Shock that Casio have kept to their home market also?
The Frogman series, GW-5000, and a few other solar/atomic models, I think.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Congrats! sounds like a great deal on an awesome watch!

now that the King is dead, does it seem like people are buying it more? seeing a lot of GX56 threads recently.. wish it would have sold better when it was alive, maybe Casio would not have scrapped it then. If it starts selling well now you think Casio might change their minds?

·
Registered
554 Posts
£60! a mega bargain! Hope the crystal is perfect (no reason it shouldn't be) if so £28 at Casio UK (band and bezel if needed) would yield basically a brand new watch. My Atomic 1B king cost me £220 to get in from Japan a few months back. My other 3 non-atomic Kings are sulking in the sock drawer. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I paid about $240 USD last month for my GXW-56-1B and couldn't be happier. I stumbled upon a GX-56GB-1 on Kijiji on Saturday and bought it for $60 for work. Definitely prefer the positive display but like the variance from work to home.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
£60! a mega bargain! Hope the crystal is perfect (no reason it shouldn't be) if so £28 at Casio UK (band and bezel if needed) would yield basically a brand new watch. My Atomic 1B king cost me £220 to get in from Japan a few months back. My other 3 non-atomic Kings are sulking in the sock drawer. Enjoy!!!
Cheers bro. When I was planning my first King acquisition I gave serious consideration to importing the same model you did. It was only by luck that I found a perfect used atomic GB in the UK (and even driving distance from my home), so decided not to fight the hand of fate. I've always fancied the posi display version though, so I'm pretty pleased with my luck on this latest purchase. I guess only my buddies here at F17 can truly understand!

I paid about $240 USD last month for my GXW-56-1B and couldn't be happier. I stumbled upon a GX-56GB-1 on Kijiji on Saturday and bought it for $60 for work. Definitely prefer the positive display but like the variance from work to home.
$240 is a great price I think. And as for $60 for a GX-56GB, man, that's a bargain that equals or even exceeds my little pick up!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here's my King tip: Polish the case back with 'Brasso' metal polish wadding it takes very little effort to get a chrome like shine (so easy!). Look after your crystal so it doesn't get scratched. Lash out £28 for a new band and bezel and keep them safe. Then when you fancy waking up to a 'brand new' King strip it down, clean and polish then fit the new resin...Voila! Apologies if this sounds a bit mad but I'm flying out on holiday in a few weeks and I've got a new orange band and bezel ready to do just this the night before. BTW keen to hear if this sounds at all crazy please do say I won't take offence. My wife just rolls her eyes she's used to this by now.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are not crazy at all buddy. Just a regular G-Shock enthusiast. I've already bought a new bezel for my GW6900 (now donated to my son). It's just another brilliant thing about the toughest watch brand in the world - beat the crap out of your watch, then return it to looking new for a small cost.

Cheers for the brasso tip. I've never worried too much about the case back, but it would certainly be nice to see it shiny!
When I went on holiday this summer I bought a GX56-4 specially for the trip. I purchased it about six weeks prior to my holiday, so decided not to wear it until then. So, I feel your vibe re wanting a special G experience while chilling on vacation!

Cheers,
Ash

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk now Free

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Arrived today. Is in great condition. Not perfect (a couple of minor scuffs on the strap), but otherwise A1. Could do with a clean, but bought from the original owner, and accompanied with all paperwork, original packaging etc. Even has the original Japanese invoice note! My apologies for the lack of paragraphs - my browser has suddenly stopped allowing return breaks on this forum, which is a real pain. Cheers, Ash

1 - 15 of 15 Posts