WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

To be entirely honest, I'm not entirely sure if this watch qualifies as high end - but I feel like it being a spectacularly rare set of complications from an independent manufacture, this sub may get a kick out of this watch.

I picked this up while shopping in Ginza, Tokyo just a few days ago. For those who don't know, Habring2 is a small independent manufacturer from Austria, with the entire company consisting of just 5 people. I read that this is technically the smallest independent watch manufacture in the world. They make less than 200 watches per year, and of those 200, a maximum of 12 of each model. Of those 12, the dial color combinations may vary... so you start to realize that each watch is incredibly unique.

This watch here was custom commissioned for the Japanese market. Usually the Foudroyante Dead Seconds model comes in a (borderline oversized) 42mm case. However this one may be the only of it's kind in a more traditional 36mm case.

So you have a custom commissioned watch from the smallest independent manufacture in the world, with two extremely rare complications; foudroyante and dead seconds.

Pardon my nerding out here, but this my friends is something to be excited about.

The movement shares architecture with a Valjoux 7750, but is manufactured in house (read: not bought from ETA and modified - at least, not since 2011). The complications are modular, and from the caseback you can see an opened area in the middle of the mainplate where the dead beats complication is on display.

Enjoy the eye candy! I had a heck of a hard time getting these photos to post the right size and orientation, so hopefully they came out okay.

v7Pps5d.jpg

euvo7nX.jpg

jSv8nIK.jpg

NIhaGtV.jpg

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the pickup. I too own a Habring Foudroyante Dead Seconds. Mine is the 42mm version with flame-blued hands. Absolutely love it, and won't give it up.

For the uninitiated, GaryG recently wrote a great piece on Habring that's definitely worth checking out:

In Praise of Habring2: A Collector’s View | Quill & Pad
Fantastic piece!!

I plan to get in touch with the Habrings to see if I can possibly purchase another colored dial. I read that this brand will allow you to do that - and I wonder how much it will cost.

Also it would be crazy cool to add a GMT hand some day. I read they allow customization like that as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Congratulations on the wonderful acquisition. Habring definitely qualify as high end in my book. Perhaps not in terms of cost, but then I wouldn't call any Hublot a high end watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
Great watch, congrats! Not sure where you read that Habring is the smallest independent brand but that is extremely suspect. There are plenty of watchmakers out there who work alone. To cite one from Japan, Hajime Asaoka.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That is one super cool complication. Such a stunning contrast in movement to the eye. Congrats on your Habring!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Really like the combination of Foudroyante + dead seconds, great pick up!

Someone above mentioned you can request a colored dial -- is case size another spec you can alter?

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is quickly becoming my long-term grail, especially at this case size! (had no idea they could fit the movement into the kleine case). Congrats on the purchase, and I imagine it must be quite difficult to take your eyes off of it for more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The foudroyante is definitely my next purchase. When I ordered a dead seconds pilot from Habring2 I was able to specify the dial colour (though I had to wait a few months for them to get one from their supplier) and I know some people also specify other changes ranging from relatively minor all the way up to custom tourbillons. I would like to ask them to put the foudroyante onto a blue 'pilot' type dial, as I like the larger numbers on the outer edge of the dial. The standard foudroyante with small numbers fairly near the centre just looks a bit too cramped, for my taste.

Edit: here's my jumping seconds pilot
Habring2 2.jpg
Habring2 6.jpg

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I carefully read all responses to the op hoping someone else would ask, but no; so....What is the desirability of an expensive mechanical watch with a second hand that moves like an inexpensive quartz one and with another small hand that propellers at 8 times a second for apparently no reason? I think it is better that I don't understand it or I might want one. Besides, I am still saving up for that Hermes "to stop time" watch. Now there's a mechanical masterpiece that makes sense.

heb

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I carefully read all responses to the op hoping someone else would ask, but no; so....What is the desirability of an expensive mechanical watch with a second hand that moves like an inexpensive quartz one and with another small hand that propellers at 8 times a second for apparently no reason? I think it is better that I don't understand it or I might want one. Besides, I am still saving up for that Hermes "to stop time" watch. Now there's a mechanical masterpiece that makes sense.

heb
This is definitely a far more romantic than practical set of complications. It harkens back to the days pre-quartz crisis where a "ticking" timepiece meant a timepiece of unusually high precision and quality.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Ok, I get it. Kind of a "build it and they will come" sort of deal. Nice looking time piece; especially the blue one shown by a responder above.

This is definitely a far more romantic than practical set of complications. It harkens back to the days pre-quartz crisis where a "ticking" timepiece meant a timepiece of unusually high precision and quality.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Ok, I get it. Kind of a "build it and they will come" sort of deal. Nice looking time piece; especially the blue one shown by a responder above.
Personally I find the movement and sound of a ticking hand on a quartz watch quite irritating, but on a mechanical deadbeat seconds watch it's fascinating. I doubt that I'm the only watch enthusiast stuck in this irrational state of mind.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I find the movement and sound of a ticking hand on a quartz watch quite irritating, but on a mechanical deadbeat seconds watch it's fascinating. I doubt that I'm the only watch enthusiast stuck in this irrational state of mind.

Yeah it's quite interesting because you hear 7 "normal" ticks followed by one extra loud tick. So if you are in a quiet enough room, you can actually tell just by the sound exactly when 1 second has elapsed. Pretty neat.

Also, someone here was asking earlier if you can customize case size: Yes, but I don't know the extent of it. You can certainly do 42 or 36mm.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Setting price aside, the quality is certainly high-end. Maria and Richard Habring run a well "oiled" operation of a watch company, and this here is another fine example from their bench. Great pick!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Congrats on your new watch. They are Great people as well. I had the chance to meet them at an AD when I picked up my Habring Chrono.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Howdy all,

Unfortunate update to this thread:

I noticed a few days after posting that there were a number of inexcusable QC errors on the dial of the watch. The most severe of which, you can actually see in the third of 4 photos on this thread. Just to the right of the 6 o clock indicie, there was a light scratch spanning all the way from the beginning of the inner ring to the outer seconds track. I hadn't noticed it right away as it only appeared in certain lighting conditions.

Having noticed it, I reached out to the Habrings to see if it would be possible to source a replacement dial. The Habrings kindly offered to ship a new dial to Tokyo to have the watch repaired while I was still on vacation (fantastic customer service, I think)

Anyways, the day of the "repair" comes, and the Habring's watchmaker in Tokyo replaces the dial. Unfortunately on inspection, I found not only the dial color of the replacement was different than the original, but there were also similar scratches on the dial.

The retailer I purchased the piece through then informed me that there were 3 other identical pieces in Japan, and they had found similar scratches on all of them. At the time, I also dug up this review on WatchProSite of a customer with similar QC issues: http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf.forumpost/fi-16/ti-904013/pi-6194598/

With 5 examples of the dial all having scratches, I elected to simply exchange the Foudroyante for a new watch from the same shop.

I will make a new thread for this piece shortly:

2ZZFqi9.jpg

1DMcrex.jpg
gWzhCwb.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts