WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Watch Collection Vision

This 5 watch group would cover Dress, Office, Casual, and Sport settings. And there is additional overlap since each of the watches can fit in two or more of those categories.

1. (own) Omega Speedmaster Automatic
2. (wishlist) Rolex Datejust 36mm
3. (wishlist) AnOrdain Model 2
4. (wishlist) Oris Diver Sixty Five (or Christopher Ward C60 Saphire)
5. (wishlist)Tudor Black Bay GMT (or Christopher Ward C65 Pepsi)
Recently, Christopher Ward watches have become very enticing to me for a few percieved reasons. Lower price; very attractive "light catcher" case design; very good bracelet with micro-adjust.

Are there any reasons to skip the Christopher Ward watches and stick to my original plan? Or am I smart to pick a Christopher Ward option?

Alternatives:

·
Premium Member
63,039 Posts
Chris Ward are very good and you’ll not be disappointed by them. At the same time the BB and the Oris 65 are VERY strong runners and I would be inclined to stick to my original plan.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The Second Ward you posted doesn't correlate to any in your original plan. What if you stick to your original plan, PLUS add on the blue dialed Ward?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Second Ward you posted doesn't correlate to any in your original plan. What if you stick to your original plan, PLUS add on the blue dialed Ward?
Thanks, I was thinking the Blue CW would replace the Oris, but it does change from a vintage feel to a more modern look. Good observation! It would definately be the sportiest option.

Another question I just thought of. If I purchesed one new (to me) watch per year, which one would make the most sense next? I am already wearing the Speedmaster. I am thinking Rolex, get the expensive on out of the way!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks, I was thinking the Blue CW would replace the Oris, but it does change from a vintage feel to a more modern look. Good observation! It would definately be the sportiest option.

Another question I just thought of. If I purchesed one new (to me) watch per year, which one would make the most sense next? I am already wearing the Speedmaster. I am thinking Rolex, get the expensive on out of the way!
Hard to say--I think the best option would be to get the most expensive one you really want out of the way first (the keystone of your collection), then fill in as the opportunities present themselves. I don't think there's any one way to do it, though

·
Registered
30,041 Posts
CW makes very nice watches for that price point, IMHO. If you like it, get it and enjoy.

If you are planning to shop for a Rolex now, bring a large sack of cash......prices are getting BEYOND ridiculous and they have lost all appeal to me because of that.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I would switch Oris to CW, and keep the Tudor GMT.

next watch - Tudor and anOrdian would be my suggestion. Rolex prices are out there, better see what's new in Sept if that will change your preference (cost might not change to less anyway)

Reactions: Gprog

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would switch Oris to CW, and keep the Tudor GMT.

next watch - Tudor and anOrdian would be my suggestion. Rolex prices are out there, better see what's new in Sept if that will change your preference (cost might not change to less anyway)
AnOrdain crossed my mind since they are a microbrand that might change models or production with little notice. Also, I don't see those watches on the secondary market that often, and when I do, it's usually not the color of enamel dial that I want.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Farmkid-
Are you ok selling off watches that don't work for you? You ok buying used?
If so, what have you got to lose? Buy your favorite CWard on sale or used and see if they are your thing. If not, move it on and you'll be out less than $200.

If someone came to me saying: I had this plan to buy 5 watches, but now I've found at least one cheaper option that might be just as good and I might even like it more. I'd think they were foolish if they didn't at least explore it. That you're posting about it signals you want to, but are worried it's not the safe choice? This is our hobby, the fortune of our company doesn't rest on this choice. Its' fine to take some risks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The CWs are really great watches, but I've always been disappointed when I buy a less expensive watch just to hold me over. If you really want the Tudor, I'd save and wait. But, I think the CW is a great option in place of the Oris.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've found that regardless of my watch collecting plans something always happens to change them (I see a new watch that speaks to me, a watch I buy doesn't fit quite right or I don't really connect with, a watch I planned to buy I'm no longer that excited by after looking at it thousands of times online and watching youtube reviews on it, etc.). I see no problem with your plan, and no problem with your new ideas. I don't know how far along you are in your watch collecting journey, but I have found that my tastes continue to evolve and several watches that were in my plans at one point were beat out by other watches eventually. Good luck and enjoy the journey!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
AnOrdain crossed my mind since they are a microbrand that might change models or production with little notice. Also, I don't see those watches on the secondary market that often, and when I do, it's usually not the color of enamel dial that I want.
I am waiting for my Purple fume, and yes they will have newer options coming regularly. I chose the Model 2 fume over the new Model 1, even though I thought the larger dial on Model 1 was more attractive. I have caught only 2 watch resales of this in 2020, not easy to get secondary.

Reactions: FarmKid

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Personally, I think CWs are horribly generic looking. I’m not saying they cannot be had for a decent price, but price doesn’t matter if I won’t wear it. If I was in your shoes Id slowly try to build the collection I want and if I had to buy something in the mean time I’d make sure it was used so I could sell it for the same price that I purchased it for. To be fair though, I don’t really make collection plans; it kind of takes the fun out of it for me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Stay with the Rolex, Tudor and Speedy if those are the ones you like, the others will be very hard to sell for anything less than 30-50% of what you pay for them. Or only buy them at minimum 50% off retail.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stay with the Rolex, Tudor and Speedy if those are the ones you like, the others will be very hard to sell for anything less than 30-50% of what you pay for them. Or only buy then at minimum 50% off retail.
I think there is certainly something to that. I have the Speedmaster already and would plan on going secondary market for the others, except for the anOrdain which I would go new. Tommywine0 asked above if I was comfortable selling off watches. I am, so feel I would have the lattitude to "Test Drive" a watch that I got and decided to let go later without losing too much sleep or money.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My Watch Collection Vision

This 5 watch group would cover Dress, Office, Casual, and Sport settings. And there is additional overlap since each of the watches can fit in two or more of those categories.

1. (own) Omega Speedmaster Automatic
Ok, you can just stop with the Speedy. It covers all your settings. It's a strap monster, so whatever strap you put on it will help fit in.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend time looking for other watches just to fit various occasions, it's a trap of the watch world and you'll end up overwhelmed. Look around, get a feel for various watches, and you'll have grails. Get those grails and you'll be happier.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ditch the idea for the Oris and go for the CW, but I'd stick to the Tudor GMT. That's what I would do anyway. I would also jump on anOrdain. The model 2 is unbelievably gorgeous in person. The ones with solid numerals vs only the outlined numerals are really attractive. I'd love a purple dial model 2 for myself at some point. I think I've only seen one of their white dials for sale elsewhere before.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've found that regardless of my watch collecting plans something always happens to change them (I see a new watch that speaks to me, a watch I buy doesn't fit quite right or I don't really connect with, a watch I planned to buy I'm no longer that excited by after looking at it thousands of times online and watching youtube reviews on it, etc.). I see no problem with your plan, and no problem with your new ideas. I don't know how far along you are in your watch collecting journey, but I have found that my tastes continue to evolve and several watches that were in my plans at one point were beat out by other watches eventually. Good luck and enjoy the journey!
To paraphrase Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they read a thread on WUS

1 - 20 of 44 Posts