WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
No, because they don't notice my watches in the first place. WIS know the cost so generally speaking, I never talk about it.

Reactions: Rmmiller1985

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't ask don't tell, that's for sure.

Funny, actually had the same discussion with my gf a few days ago.
Depending on the friend I'll either tell the real price or slim it down a bit (5x) so they wont freak out completely.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
"Yes" to both questions.

·
Premium Member
64,888 Posts
No. Most of my friends are of the opinion that I've got too many watches already. If they had any idea how many I'd really got they would have me committed. One guy went to the trouble of looking one of my watches up on the internet and was just a bit shocked when he saw the cost of it.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Yes, but very rarely does anyone ask the price. Generally, they just ask if it is a Rolex... I would tell them if they asked, it's far less than most Americans spend on their numerous superfluous vehicles.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
No. Most of my friends are of the opinion that I've got too many watches already. If they had any idea how many I'd really got they would have me committed. One guy went to the trouble of looking one of my watches up on the internet and was just a bit shocked when he saw the cost of it.
He saw your watch, likely wanted it for himself, looked it up, and was shocked at the price-tag.

Same thing with high-quality lights. Folks are impressed when I whip one of mine out. Get excited, want one just like it, but for some bizarre reason are shocked when they learn how much it costs. It's just so odd watching as it dawns on them that yes ... quality costs a premium. Apparently they think they can get a high quality watch for $25 or a high quality flashlight for $5. Just weird bit of mentality there.

Reactions: l3wy

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Once a neighbor asked the price of a watch I own and I told him; he subsequently told someone else. I no longer discuss price.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have friends that have quarter-million-dollar musical instruments that don't understand why I'd spend "so much money" on a watch. To each his own. My friends know that I like watches, and that it's where I spend my money instead of booze and smoking.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Generally people who ask about one of my watches has some clue as to luxury vs inexpensive. I mean come on, most people aren't so oblivious they don't know Omega or Breitling is a luxury type watch. It's very rare to discuss price after. The few times its happened, I just say it was a gift.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,619 Posts
I've had a few people ask how much something cost. Could be a watch, clock, camera or bike. I will answer honestly. No big deal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Generally, my friends do, as they know I collect watches. Most of the time I tell them the cost of it and go on to compare with something of the common fashion brand. Though, for the money I'm spending, it's worth every penny (In my honest opinion, that is)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Question #1: Yes.

Question #2: Sometimes.

It depends on how the question is asked, who is asking it and whether I think they'll start saying I'm crazy for having spent for so much money on a watch. It's a discussion I don't need to have.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Once a neighbor asked the price of a watch I own and I told him; he subsequently told someone else. I no longer discuss price.
A friend is one thing. But a neighbor, co-worker, mild acquaintance, etc.; completely different. They don't even realize it's genuinely rude to ask a non-loved one, "How much?"

·
Premium Member
7,776 Posts
Yes - those who know I like watches always ask me and I tell them. They're my friends - we don't have any barriers about discussing things like that.
Same here. To casual acquaintances I have two responses. "A pretty penny" or "not too much".

Reactions: drickster
1 - 20 of 120 Posts