WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Just want to share my story on my battery changing experience of my DW-5000-1JF last night (finished at 4:00 AM to be precise). The battery in my pre-owned DW-5000-1JF: a reissue DW5000 model released back in 2001 was dead last week. After debating about whether I should bring it to a watch shop to get the battery replaced, I had decided to DIY the whole process. I had a bad experience in a watch shop where the fast (but reckless) clerk put two deep scratches on my Wenger. So for a precious and rare G-Shock like the 5000 I would like to do everything by myself.
After a week later I finally had time to change the battery, but the whole process began at 2:00 AM in the morning today.

The Job:

The biggest problem was figuring out how to unscrew/remove the screwback back plate. Without the proper tools, I gave the duct tape method a try: I squeezed the tape into a ball and I sticked it to the back of the 5000. Surprisingly, the tape unscrewed the back with ease. For people who want to remove the plate on their screwback G-Shock, the duct tape is probably your best friend.

The duct tape is very efficient to remove the screwback cover. It will not scratch your cover too! ;-)

This is how the 5000 looked like after the cover was removed. Inside you can spot the 1545 module. It just needed a battery to come back to life again.

This is how she looked like after a fresh battery! :)

More things I can share are that:

1) Make sure the module is positioned within the case properly. If not, some functions might not work properly.

2) I was freaked out when the module did not produce any sound after the battery change, but I realized that you need to put the black rubber plate back and the screwback plate in order for the sound to come back again.

3) For the small clip that holds the battery in place, you need a small tweezer to pop it open. Make sure you open the side where it says UP (+), not the other side.

4) It is a good thing to put some silicone lubricant on the gasket o-ring. In my 5000 I was unable to put the gasket back on yet because it always trapped between the scewback cover and the watch case itself. Any advice on how to put the gasket back to the watch is appreciated.

--------------------

Now I need your help!

Do anyone have any idea on how I can put this circular thing back to my 5000? It popped out after I removed the screwback cover.

I can't seem to fit this thing back to my watch. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

That's all I have for now. Hope that you enjoy reading my input. b-)

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
I see four slots and two plastic dots that probably hold something in it's place. I would try to fit that metal ring in the slots, so that the holes fall into those plastic dots. If you did it right, it fits, if it doesn't fit, you have to try the other option.

As it came out of your watch, I suspect it is placed over the rubber shock absorber. I have seen such rings in MR-G models. I have never opened a DW-5000 before.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I see four slots and two plastic dots that probably hold something in it's place. I would try to fit that metal ring in the slots, so that the holes fall into those plastic dots. If you did it right, it fits, if it doesn't fit, you have to try the other option.

As it came out of your watch, I suspect it is placed over the rubber shock absorber. I have seen such rings in MR-G models. I have never opened a DW-5000 before.

Cheers,

Sjors
Thank you Sjors! I will try to put this back to my watch again. :thanks

UPDATES: I was able to put the circular thing back to my watch. And Sjors was right, it was placed above the rubber shock absorber. The circular thing fitted into the empty slots of the 1545 module straight.

I was also be able to put the rubber gasket back to the watch. I think I have to order a new one as the one I have right now is a bit old. When I order that I will put some silicone lubricant on it. I don't wear this watch too often and not in the water so I can hold this off until later.

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
I own the DW5000SL. Is that same stainless steel ring also on the DW5000SL Spike Lee? I don't see what goes into the metal holes. Is there a plastic tip that fits inside the stainless steel holes?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own the DW5000SL. Is that same stainless steel ring also on the DW5000SL Spike Lee? I don't see what goes into the metal holes. Is there a plastic tip that fits inside the stainless steel holes?
I own the SL too. Not sure whether the SL has the same steel ring. I think that both the DW-5000-1JF and DW-5000SL are nearly identical so I guess that steel ring is in the SL. I don't think that Casio would spend extra just to have a different design. I guess someone who has had opened up a SL and exchanged to a regular 5600E module will be able to tell us the differences.

It's the clasps on the steel ring that "fit" the empty space you see on the module. The clasps just go over the space and there are no plastic tip that fit those holes. Not sure about the function of the steel ring, but I guess it provides extra protection, and due to the extra height of the screwback it is used to accompany the extra space.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
just the two pieces are for 1545 but can switch an older model like 901 or 240 and then don't need the two pieces but the only thing the sound don't work cause the sound way is different way than older ones and dw-5000-1jf and dw-5000sl are same set up and using 1545 module with those two pieces.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Looks like a movement spacer ring of some kind. Try putting it on the movement and then reinstall the caseback~Good luck! ;-)

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
What is the mm lug size for the watch band pins on the original DW5000 that was made in 1983 and what is the lug size for the watch band pins for the DW5000SL Spike Lee?
Does the original 1983 DW5000 and the 2008 DW5000SL Spike Lee have the same size lugs for the watch band pins? Does anybody in here know?

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
What is the mm lug size for the watch band pins on the original DW5000 that was made in 1983 and what is the lug size for the watch band pins for the DW5000SL Spike Lee?
Does the original 1983 DW5000 and the 2008 DW5000SL Spike Lee have the same size lugs for the watch band pins? Does anybody in here know?
Does anybody know?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
no they are not cause the dw-5000-1jf and dw-50000sl are thicker where the watchband pin goes and that section it little thicker and the oringal dw-5000c-1a is 18mm but on dw-5000-1jf and dw-5000sl are like 16mm size.

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
Okay, thanks. That's what I thought. I was looking at a picture of an original DW5000 from 1983 and it looks like the lugs are wider and farther apart from each other than they are on the DW5000SL Spike Lee. So the original DW5000 from 1983 has 18mm lugs and the DW5000SL Spike Lee has 16mm lugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts