WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing some of these on the forum for the longest time, I had mentioned in another thread, I was always a little nervous to pull the trigger on one of these because it looked smaller in photos. This past weekend I took a friend to a local jeweler, and I saw this sitting in the case. I tried it on and knew I had to have it. They gave me a decent price, but I wanted to check here to confirm....indeed it was.

This is definitely NOS, this had to had been sitting in his case since it was originally released. They had Citizen watches there from the 90's, and the original tag showed $175, I haggled them down to a lot lower :) So needless to say, I just got back with a new watch on my wrist.

I know details can be found in many locations, but I always like to throw in my reviews to add to the fun :-!

This is a great simple basic field watch. Nice black face, the numbers are large and easy to read, they are polished SS around the edges of the numbers, as well as the Citizen logo. The second hand hits the marks all the way around. I really like the screwdown crown, it has the rough finish to it and the back has a polished screwdown backcase.

The cloth strap has a leather backing to it, the holes are reinforced with steel so no worries about ripping or stretching. It's got 2 keepers, a cloth and a Stainless Steel.

I am finding it to be a very comfortable watch. It it is large and hefty enough to know it's there, yet very low key. It is a very casual watch, I thought T-Shirt and Jeans, and business casual. It could be worn with a suit, but I wasn't thinking suit when I got it.

Here are the photos :-!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I was in the same boat "had to have it" syndrome from this forum. I finally won one on Ebay for around 70 bucks brand new in box and I have to say it was the best 70 I spent. If I feel like this look but think there is even an outside possibility it could get a ding or scratch I wear this one but if I think I will be able to be more careful I wear my PMT56-2731. Similar looks but the BM is actually a little larger. I'll post pics later.

·
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in the same boat "had to have it" syndrome from this forum. I finally won one on Ebay for around 70 bucks brand new in box and I have to say it was the best 70 I spent. If I feel like this look but think there is even an outside possibility it could get a ding or scratch I wear this one but if I think I will be able to be more careful I wear my PMT56-2731. Similar looks but the BM is actually a little larger. I'll post pics later.
I definitely look forward to those photos, if you possibly might have some side to side comparisons, that would be great :-!

I may end up getting the black version of this as well :think:

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled. As far as I know, the watch above is a current model.

This is the 'Ray Mears watch' that has been discontinued for some years and is pretty rare:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
o|

I don't need to see any more pictures of this watch! (I've been thinking about one of these for a little while, though I don't need and can't afford another watch at the moment)

Have you tried any alternative straps? I'm not too keen on the standard strap; if a 22mm Rhino would fit through the 21mm lugs the watch would be perfect for me (for about ten minutes probably:-d).

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Very nice! Don't they have a version of that model with a green canvas military looking strap? I had my eye on one some time ago, Great deal on these to, cool pickup.:-!

·
Registered
115 Posts
the original tag showed $175, I haggled them down to a lot lower :) So needless to say, I just got back with a new watch on my wrist.
I hope it was a whole lot lower; you can get these from jewelswarehouse.com for $102 with free shipping and no state sales tax.

·
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is the 'Ray Mears watch' that has been discontinued for some years and is pretty rare:

I wish I had taken you up on that one when you sold it Tribe o|

When I mentioned NOS, I mean that it's been sitting for a loooooooong time. It's a current model that has been around for quite some time if I'm not mistaken? :think:

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I wish I had taken you up on that one when you sold it Tribe o|
:-d

I'd forgotten that...

When I mentioned NOS, I mean that it's been sitting for a loooooooong time. It's a current model that has been around for quite some time if I'm not mistaken? :think:
I get you. |>

·
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
o|

I don't need to see any more pictures of this watch! (I've been thinking about one of these for a little while, though I don't need and can't afford another watch at the moment)

Have you tried any alternative straps? I'm not too keen on the standard strap; if a 22mm Rhino would fit through the 21mm lugs the watch would be perfect for me (for about ten minutes probably:-d).
I was thinking one of the things I really like about this watch is its versatility, you could get away with a lot of straps on this one.

Very nice! Don't they have a version of that model with a green canvas military looking strap? I had my eye on one some time ago, Great deal on these to, cool pickup.:-!
They have a green strap, and they also have a version of this watch with the Bracelet, I think thats a Japan only though :think:

I hope it was a whole lot lower; you can get these from jewelswarehouse.com for $102 with free shipping and no state sales tax.
That was only what was on the tag, I for it for lower than the $102 :)

I have one and had the case glass bead blasted. A 22mm Nato fits fine, that's what I use.

Mike
That looks incredible....I don't think I'd mind shipping it off at some point to do that :p

:-d

I'd forgotten that...
You gave me EVERY opportunity too lol

Nice one Doug... I grabbed one of these not long ago... I LOVE Mine!
What's not to love...THIS is what the beater was meant to be :-d

·
Registered
391 Posts
After seeing some of these on the forum for the longest time, I had mentioned in another thread, I was always a little nervous to pull the trigger on one of these because it looked smaller in photos. This past weekend I took a friend to a local jeweler, and I saw this sitting in the case. I tried it on and knew I had to have it. They gave me a decent price, but I wanted to check here to confirm....indeed it was.

This is definitely NOS, this had to had been sitting in his case since it was originally released. They had Citizen watches there from the 90's, and the original tag showed $175, I haggled them down to a lot lower :) So needless to say, I just got back with a new watch on my wrist.

I know details can be found in many locations, but I always like to throw in my reviews to add to the fun :-!

This is a great simple basic field watch. Nice black face, the numbers are large and easy to read, they are polished SS around the edges of the numbers, as well as the Citizen logo. The second hand hits the marks all the way around. I really like the screwdown crown, it has the rough finish to it and the back has a polished screwdown backcase.

The cloth strap has a leather backing to it, the holes are reinforced with steel so no worries about ripping or stretching. It's got 2 keepers, a cloth and a Stainless Steel.

I am finding it to be a very comfortable watch. It it is large and hefty enough to know it's there, yet very low key. It is a very casual watch, I thought T-Shirt and Jeans, and business casual. It could be worn with a suit, but I wasn't thinking suit when I got it.

Here are the photos :-!

Congrats on the nice pick up! |> Smart-looking watch, looks good on you. I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years to come.

I have had what appears to be a distant cousin of that watch for several years...in fact, I sent it in for service this past spring and Citizen replaced the solar cell and gaskets, performed pressure testing, and sent the watch back to me free of charge. Tough to argue with that kind of service!

Here is a picture of mine. It's not really the same watch, but the styling of the dial is pretty similar. Tough as nails, still looks new after seven years.

Congrats again, wear it in good health.

Jim

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Here's a little comparison photo shoot of a few famous Citizens!

The BM is just a tiny bit bigger then the PMT but both are obviously dwarfed by the autozilla and the Chono-time, but then again these are pretty darn large watches. I have to say I have a tough time figuring which of these I like to wear but if I had to rank them it would be PMT > BM > Autozilla > chrono-time (only because the time zone dial on the right side of the case is big and digs into my hand a little).

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Congratulations Doug. I hope I helped to inspire you on this one. I think it is a great, simple, casual summer watch.

Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Nice pickup Dougie :)

I have been looked at this style a couple of times and really like the clean dial |>|> It is on my wish list.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Holy cow! Nice collection of Citizens. I have a "Blue Orca" on rubber strap, and also the JDM PMT...great watches. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
692 Posts

I got one of these back in 1999 - absolutely love this watch - though it has to share wrist time with a lot more other watches these days. It originally came on a kevlar strap - nice idea but it got really stinky pretty quickly and didn't wear very well. I raised this with my AD at the time and they sent it back to Citizen UK - the watch came back wearing a really nice bead-blasted titanium bracelet - free of charge.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts