WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum and boutique divers in general, but there's one thing i just don't get. Why are Bluerings going for so much money? Yes, it's an interesting watch and somewhat unique. And, yes, it is a limited-production run. But this niche is FILLED with interesting, unique limited-production watches. I would like to try one out to see what the hub-bub is about, but I flatly refuse to pay $700-750 [the going rate as far as i can tell] for a watch that retailed for ~$350 new [as far as i can tell].One thing is for sure; someone made alot of money selling these watches [if they bought one new] and someone is going to take a bath if the bottom falls out of the market.Someone please enlighten me!!!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum and boutique divers in general, but there's one thing i just don't get. Why are Bluerings going for so much money? Yes, it's an interesting watch and somewhat unique. And, yes, it is a limited-production run. But this niche is FILLED with interesting, unique limited-production watches. I would like to try one out to see what the hub-bub is about, but I flatly refuse to pay $700-750 [the going rate as far as i can tell] for a watch that retailed for ~$350 new [as far as i can tell].One thing is for sure; someone made alot of money selling these watches [if they bought one new] and someone is going to take a bath if the bottom falls out of the market.Someone please enlighten me!!!
The watches sold for $499 new( plus shipping) and they have held the current $700-750 price since they sold out.
Its simple supply and demand. If you want one, you will have to pay the going rate.

·
Banned
1,785 Posts
I've owned 2 and flipped them both one black(6r15) and one blue(eta) I paid around $425 for them. The were a decent value at that price but surely not at over $600. The crown was gritty and bezels were hard as hell to turn. Personally I find the sumo to be a much better value.IMO

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'd say it's valued just right as a popular discontinued item that's still in high demand.

As far as reselling, the bottom could fall out of just about any watch and especially the micros. I wouldn't buy any microbrand as an investment, I'd only buy to keep.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,221 Posts
Reminds me of the Seiko Spork, which I think once sold for 200 something but now fetches prices of 400 and up.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Only time will tell - it's a crapshoot - like an IPO

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Quite a few have popped up lately. I hadn't seen one in months, and now I've seen five in the last week.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I personally hate when folks ramp up the price for self gain, but I do understand it's the demand & how bad you want it. The MIIK "Kingston" is the true case in point. There are many others of course. It's the watch game for sure.

There's a blue dial "Blue Ring" on the SF right now for $800 smackers! Go fish I say :-d

RD

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I personally hate when folks ramp up the price for self gain, but I do understand it's the demand & how bad you want it. The MIIK "Kingston" is the true case in point. There are many others of course. It's the watch game for sure.There's a blue dial "Blue Ring" on the SF right now for $800 smackers! Go fish I say :-dRD
I've always found the law of supply and demand to be very interesting. I mean, how does it start? The person who gets greedy and decides it is worth $750 or the person who is desparate and decides to pay it? You could advertise $750, but if no one wants to spend it, the price will drop. Just like houses. I guess that's why I'm an engineer, that all makes sense. Finance....not so much!Thanks for the opinions, guys! I guess i was really asking what the draw was about the BLuering, in particular. At $500 with the ETA, it was a good deal. At $750, it's got a lot of competition. Especially used.

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
Yes, you sound like an engineer!!! J/K! Dont think you are going to be doing a special guest appearance on "Mad Men" anytime soon with logical thinking like that!

And on the other side of the coin.

What about folks who purchase a watch like the Rolex 6538 at an estate auction for $500 and put it on Ebay and get $60,000. Are they greedy because the market value of the watch dictated that it sold for $60,000? Or are they smart for purchasing the watch for $500 and getting their just rewards for their knowledge and the risk they took.

Or what about the folks who purchased a Dreadnought for $700 when they were first introduced and saw the prices soar to over $2000 and then offered their pieces at the market value? Is that greed?

We can be pretty quick to categorize folks on here for decisions which, for the most part, are personal and which have to do with their own financial situations, among other considerations. I would think we would be happy if someone would be able to make a few bucks on a watch sale which in most cases is a money losing transaction.

Do we have to lose money on a sale of a watch for it to be an ethical transaction? J/k! Of course not is the answer. If market trends dictate or offer an "asking price" offer then the rest is just fodder for the fire.

Lets face it. We just have to accept the fact that for some folks it is always going to be a dreary dreadful day. Woa is me.

As for the Blue Rings? The design just works. Great looking watches that transcend time and space. It is a design which is both retro, current, and visionary in a very cohesive and original presentation. What did Tim Temple call these kind of pieces..... Retro-Futuristic?

Halios is really to be admired for their original designs and the success they have achieved. It takes a lot of committment, money, and dedication to put your money where your mouth is and produce original product.

I've always found the law of supply and demand to be very interesting. I mean, how does it start? The person who gets greedy and decides it is worth $750 or the person who is desparate and decides to pay it? You could advertise $750, but if no one wants to spend it, the price will drop. Just like houses. I guess that's why I'm an engineer, that all makes sense. Finance....not so much!Thanks for the opinions, guys! I guess i was really asking what the draw was about the BLuering, in particular. At $500 with the ETA, it was a good deal. At $750, it's got a lot of competition. Especially used.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I've always found the law of supply and demand to be very interesting. I mean, how does it start? The person who gets greedy and decides it is worth $750 or the person who is desparate and decides to pay it? You could advertise $750, but if no one wants to spend it, the price will drop. Just like houses.
You're right - think of it just like real estate. Its not that someone (ie the seller) is greedy ... they just want to get what the market will bear. Houses go for $500k in a particular neighborhood, that's what you'd list yours for.

In the case of the Bluering, its a uniqie looking watch that was a limited run and is currently out of production. So at any given time only one or two are available. A buyers who wants it will pay more. Is $750 a little over priced? Probably. But as long as there's one person who wants it at $750 then it will sell.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a blue one 12 months ago for $715. I just fell in love with the design and had to have one. I know that someone has made a couple of hundred bucks along the way but when there is only a production of 100 pieces of each colour, was the watched priced correctly to start with? It's a simple case of supply and demand. The fact that there are only 99 others in the world that have my watch is pretty cool too!!

The watch hardly leaves my wrist and I have no plans on ever parting with this baby.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There is quite a following for this watch, but for me the design is not that appealing. As for Halios, I think they hit a home run with the "Puck"!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The crown was gritty and bezels were hard as hell to turn.
Just want to correct the situation here, When I got mine (used) I had the same problem, it appeared that the gasket underneath the bezel is expanding over time and tightens up the bezel action.

You can put a new one or simply remove it by popping off the bezel, very simple to do and it will be very smooth to use. As for the crown being gritty, I can only speak for the 6R15, mine is just fine and Jason from Halios is top notch when it comes to service. A little email to Jason and I am sure he would have looked at your watch to ensure your were a satisfied customer.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I had a blue ETA. It's a $600–$650 watch any day. But no more than that. For $800 you could get a brand new Sumo and add an MM300 clasp to it -- a better choice IMO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts