WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You know what Michael, I wanna buy you a beer. I wanna buy you a case of beer.

My assortment of hubs came in from Casker. At a cost of $33.

View attachment 15847665

$33 dollars. I am currently over the moon.

View attachment 15847678

I believe a bunch of these others are for 18 size motor barrels and a bunch of them for the 12 size, but I think at least a few are for the newer 952 or 950B with the split barrel plate maybe.

In any case, I'm going to put these away for now and install the new hub later when I've calmed down. Considering I saw a guy selling the metal washer top from a 950 barrel on eBay for like $75, I believe I managed to land a once in a lifetime deal here. And now I have these other barrels to sell to anyone who might need them, but this single 950/952 hub that came in the assortment is mine.

For the record, I reached out to lot of places trying to find this hub. I never would have expected to find one in this assortment. Never in a million years. I think you sent me some good luck, Michael!

On a different note, my own theory about why the original hub cracked might be because the large amount of pressure put on this thing over a hundred years. I'm sure Hamilton never considered wear and tear after a century. It's not like they could run a simulation of millions of windings through the computer to see where the highest stress points are. Which is probably why the conventional wisdom is to not unscrew it from the ratchet wheel. This replacement hub looks like NOS. Once I screw it in to the ratchet wheel it is never going to be removed by me ever again and repeated windings will just make it tighter. I just need to open up the new mainsprings inner coil so I can slip this in. For that I'm definitely looking for recommendations. I don't want to break the new mainspring.
Although I've not worked on this part of a 950 before, let's assume that Hamilton's White Metal spring will go around the arbor with no adjustment necessary. I'd be reluctant to move the metal in any way...unless an Expert suggested it!

On something like this, then, I'd go over to the NAWCC or AWI and ask. Someone there will turn-out to be an Expert, and be happy to advise accordingly.

Michael.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
IT LIVES AGAIN!

New arbor hub installed, new alloy mainspring installed. Everything properly lubed and greased. It is running at a solid -70 seconds a day according to my machine. I don't want to send the regulator all the way over, so I'm going to adjust the timing screws on the balance tomorrow night. Then I think this is going to be perfect!

A new main spring makes all the difference. It even sounds strong! I can't wait to get this completely back together!

For the record, I was able to coax the inner loop of the mainspring open by gently squeezing the curve straight with my brass tweezers. It was hair raising to say the least since it was like $20 and having it break would have sucked big time. Not as bad as breaking or having a broken part that would be impossible to find though. Like an arbor hub.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So tragedy, or more like "what the f-bomb", this happened overnight while the movement was running.

I've never seen a mainspring catastrophically fail to this extent. It was brand new alloy.

At first I thought the new hub was slipping. Nope, it wasn't.

I'm open to ideas as to what could have caused this disaster. If it was something I did wrong. I lightly greased this pig with some Moebius 8200, but I had to install it by hand since I don't have a winder big enough. But there were no kinks. So now I'm stuck emailing Dave at Dave's watch parts and sending him this pic. Hopefully this isn't my fault. Dave is pretty good though. I'm sure he'll take care of me. Or it's another $20 and a GFY.

It's always something...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
'Some days you get the Bear / other days the Bear gets you'. Ouch...

So: these things do happen, although ( it seems ) VERY rarely. In 25 years, I've had one, white metal, 'Give up the Ghost', catastrophically, and it, too, did so right away. It was a Swiss-made item that went into an 18s Elgin. BANG!!

I'd try to find an Authentic Hamilton NOS spring. White metal. One of their "Dynavar" items...the best! Clean the barrel again, try one more time. Assuming that the spring's inserted correctly you should be all set...the chance of another Blow-Up like this, seems very remote.

My technique is to wind a new spring just a bit at first, and let the watch run for several hours. I've never been comfortable with winding a new spring all the way at once...blue steel or white / old or new, I like to give them a little time to get used to their new task...which is very tough & demanding.

And: 'Always look on the Bright Side of Life...'!

Michael.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
So new issue.

I guess this one isn't as expensive as the others... I hope.

Got the new mainspring in finally. Got the watch wound up and its running like an Olympic champion. Good strong beat.

However, now I can't get it to time out. Time grapher says it's gaining 100+ seconds a day when it's face up. Sideways it loses 30 a day. Face down it seems to vary. I've checked the inshake and that seems ok.

I'm at a loss here. Looking for some advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So a final update to this:

I replaced the foot jewel with another I had on hand and now it seems to run solid. Have it installed in the case and it's sexy again. I've been sort of bench timing it, or at least keeping it nearby and seeing how it does for timekeeping. I think it's losing about 30 seconds a week. I think it could do better, but I'll mess with the regulator some other time. For now I just want to bask in a mostly successful restoration.

Perhaps I will invest in some enamel repair to repair the chip in the dial.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts