WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to service a watch for my father that he received from his father-in-law. It has a Hamilton 735 movement in it and while I was looking on the internet for any info I could find, I noticed that there are some for sale on eBay. The odd thing is that the ones for sale are 12 hour movements and the one I have is a 24 hour movement. Is it common for the same movement number to come in both 12 and 24 hour styles?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have not looked up the 735 but Hamilton did do some variations as well as other companies regarding 12 or 24 hour time as well as time zone watches. It is quite possible and if the dial is a 24 hour dial .... so be it. The complication is simple in that the gear train ratio for the motion works is changed to produce 24 hours per revolution vs 12 hours per revolution of the hour hand. Does that mean a 24 hour watch is interchangeable with a 12 hour watch except for the motion works? In "theory" yes. Is that how Hamilton designed and manufactured this particular movement? I do not know definitively.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts