WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! Today's issue: I just cleaned / assembled my first 735...everything looks good, but the watch will stop after just a minute or so...if I remove the balance and pallet, and just 'touch' the sweep wheel, the train is once again free, with good escape wheel recoil ( I made sure of this before putting in balance )..so: what am I missing, and...how may I fix it?! I will say that the 735 is unusually fussy to assemble, but, really, not as challenging as I've heard...then again: thank Heaven for Dumont #5's...!! As always: Thanks! Sincerely, Michael.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love those 735s---those were great years for Hamilton movements.

A few questions: What is the amplitude of the balance wheel when the watch is running? Are the hands on the watch? Did you replace the mainspring? Are the pinions and teeth in good shape?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello, woof! I just put the 735 back together, and the hands are not on...mainspring is excellent, as are all pinions and teeth...I do not have a device that'll tell me amplitude, but I'm certainly looking at a healthy balance! I'm thinking about the adjustable steel 'collar' that the sweep wheel passes through; it's obviously (!) designed to be positioned to interact with the sweep wheel pinion, to generate, I assume, a degree of friction...Hamilton's replacement for the spring steel 'finger' that I've encountered in other sweep second's watches...yes?! Thanks for your comments! Sincerely, Michael. ps; now that I take a Proper Look at the steel collar , I was wrong to see it as adjustable: there are tabs fitting into notches that do not allow movement. The more I gaze upon this little sweetie, the more inclined I become to think the issue is one depthing; the sweep wheel wants to be driven 'just so'...AND: I've just taken the train apart, looked things over, and reassembled... Voila: the 735 is running just fine...let's see for how long ( hopefully, for a Very Long Time...! ) Michael. Maine, USA 3:31 AM

·
Registered
78 Posts
Glad it works! And the visual, old-school method works pretty well for these slower-beat watches. But once you get a timing machine, you'll wonder how you lived without one. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts