WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my Hamilton 974. The serial number should place it around 1910 I think. I have a question to the dial design; I have recently seen a 992B (ca 1947) for sale with almost identical design. The font used is the same including the little tail of the hour mark 4. The only difference I see is that on my watch the orientation of the smaller red minute digits is radial while on the 992B they are arranged horizontally. And the dial of my watch is double sunk, the 992B single. Was the same basic design used for the entire period, or is one or both having a non-original dial? I did not include picture of the 992B as it is still for sale, but hope my explanation is enough to give some advise.

Erik_H

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
This is a question that Ron in PA is best qualified to answer.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If you really want a "qualified" answer you should go to the NAWCC.org web site, the American pocket watch section. At the top of the page there is a "sticky" with a list of Hamilton oriented threads.

Ray calls me an expert for some reason, but the real experts on Hamilton stuff are over there, the folks I've been learning from.

My observation on my own Hamilton PWs is that superscripted numbers on the dials of RR watches are always horizontal while on non-RR dials it can be both ways. Single sunk and double sunk dials are on both RR standard watches and non-standard watches.

"Hamilton" in scripted form is indicative of earlier watches, but I can't remember the cutoff date.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Most collectors like a Hamilton pocket watch so I've added my Hamilton to the mix.

It is a Hamilton & Co, 18kt half hunter with London marks dating it to 1887.
The movement is a very nice quality 3/4 plate English lever, pin set and with
going barrel :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you really want a "qualified" answer you should go to the NAWCC.org web site, the American pocket watch section. At the top of the page there is a "sticky" with a list of Hamilton oriented threads.

Ray calls me an expert for some reason, but the real experts on Hamilton stuff are over there, the folks I've been learning from.

My observation on my own Hamilton PWs is that superscripted numbers on the dials of RR watches are always horizontal while on non-RR dials it can be both ways. Single sunk and double sunk dials are on both RR standard watches and non-standard watches.

"Hamilton" in scripted form is indicative of earlier watches, but I can't remember the cutoff date.
Thanks, a really useful link. After checking I found there are indications the scripted dial signature as found on my 974 was used between 1905 to 1918, so should be appropriate for this watch. Around 1918 there was a transition to block signature dials. Even though there may have been excess stock of the earlier dial to be used up later, it seems unlikely that it should have lasted until 1947.

Erik_H

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
This is a very different Hamilton to be sure. The American Hamilton didn't really get started until the 1890s.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Thanks Ron but don't be too modest. You are certainly the most knowledgeable Hamilton collector here. And you are in Pennsylvania after all. ;-)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Luuuuuuuuuuucky!

Oh mother, that case looks...wow...Wish mine looked that good.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Here is a 974 I recently picked up. Serial number dates it to 1929. Can anyone recommend a good contact for servicing Hamilton pocket watches?

0217 - Hamilton Face.jpg 0217 - Hamilton Movement.jpg

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've checked the Hamilton Finishing Records and your 974 is from a lot that went to the finishing room between 7/30/1925 to 9/5/1925. The case appears appropriate for the 1920s. I've noticed that your watch is missing the regulator lever adjusting device, note the two empty screw holes next to the regulator. Don't know any watchmakers in your neck of the woods, go over to NAWCC.org, they list some watchmakers. Also don't sink tons of money into the watch as arguably it was Hamilton's bottom of the line 16 size watch. Not to knock it, Hamilton didn't make any junk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts