WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Kind of new to this board, been lurking awhile though. I've done some searches and don't see much chatter on Hami Electrics, do we have any collectors out there?

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

Sweet!

The Electrics are tough to collect, as they are fairly rare (at least on this side of the pond) and it's becoming harder to find people who are willing to work on them.

But that *is* attractive: does the second move like the old Accutrons did (i.e. appear to sweep) or does it run like a "normal" mechanical watch?

JohnF

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finding nice ones is getting tough on this side of the pond also John. I've been watching for what they sell for and it seems like they are going up a couple hundred dollars each year.

The guy that really knows these and can refurb them to like new condition is Rene Rondeau, he usually has some nice ones for sale on his website also.

I'll try to take some pics of mine this weekend and post them.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,173 Posts
Dunno, never seen one in person - but from what limited technical knowledge I have, I would be willing to swear that it runs like a "normal" watch! Why? Because it has a balance wheel swinging to and fro, connecting to the geartrain, even if that balance receives its impulse from an electronic system.

Hartmut Richter

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,306 Posts
Dunno, never seen one in person - but from what limited technical knowledge I have, I would be willing to swear that it runs like a "normal" watch! Why? Because it has a balance wheel swinging to and fro, connecting to the geartrain, even if that balance receives its impulse from an electronic system.

Hartmut Richter
Note also that it has a one-way ratchet drive i.e. it impulses the train in only one direction of sweep of the balance. I once borrowed a friend's Ruhla Electric (cal. 25, 18000bph) and the mere 2.5 visible 'ticks' per second, compared to a wind-up's 5 ticks was starkly obvious.

By the way, if electric watches are of interest to anybody, they must take a look at this site:
http://www.electric-watches.co.uk

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As promised here a some pics of some of my Hami Electrics, these all have the more reliable 505 movements.

The last pic is of a Hamilton Cross Country, kind of a cool watch that I forgot I had, each hand shows a different time zone. this is a mechanical, not an electric.

From left to right is the Pacer, the Savitar II, the Titan II, the Vantage and the Cross Country

Attachments

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

Now that is an outstanding collection! Two asymmetric watches! This is one design area that a number of makers have tried, but usually failed completely because their designs just plain looked *bad*. Hamilton got it right. :)

Now, the Cross Country is intriguing: am I right in assuming that the inner dial turns in conjunction with the movement of the hour hands?

Thanks for sharing!

JohnF

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks John, on the Cross Country, if you are referring to the black disk turning, no it does not. The 5 hour hands actually turn together. If you look closely at the picture you will see the letters G, P, M and C on the base of the hands, this signifies Greenwich, Pacific, Mountain and Central time zones

1 - 10 of 10 Posts