WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hamilton Field Auto chrono: case difference between strap and bracelet model

hi,

I recently bought the watch I named in the title with blue dial an a leather strap. however I would like to replace the leather strap by the OEM stainless steel bracelet. I know that the result will not be perfect because of the different lug ends and the spring bar located in a different position, but is it ok?

has anyone made the experience? May I see a photo before I spend 100$ on a bracelet?

thanks to you all

p.s: I found a guy on the french ebay selling a watch with the same case number as mine: H715560. is it the same watch, expect the dial?

here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/MONTRE-HAMILTON-...yZ116454QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it was already sold, so I don't think that I make some publicity for the watch but I only wanted to show you

bye

fred

·
Banned
661 Posts
Re: Hamilton Field Auto chrono: case difference between strap and bracelet model

Funny you should post on this topic- I'm doing the exact same thing, only a couple of steps ahead of you. I ordered the bracelet (which arrived yesterday and looks pretty good, btw) and the watch is at the AD now, where their jeweler/repairman is going to see if he can drill a couple of new indentations in the lugs for the different springbar placement. I don't know if it's possible for him to do it, I don't know how much they'll want to charge to do it and I don't know how it will look when, or if, it gets done. However, I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Banned
661 Posts
Nope. Apparently, Hamilton makes cases that are the same size and look exactly alike, but have different locations for the springbars, depending on whether it leaves the factory with a bracelet or a strap. Afterwards, you can't swap one for the other without taking power tools to the lugs. On my watch, I stuck the endlinks into the lugs (without the bracelet or springbars) and looked to see where the holes should be. They're off by about 1-2 mm. Stupid design by Hamilton, if you ask me, but obviously, they didn't.

BTW, the thread titled "Hamilton quality...." discusses this subject and includes some pics that might be helpful, if you haven't found it already. Oh, and the watch shop called and said mine is ready, so I'll go pick it up and see what sort of alterations they made and let you know how it turned out. Hopefully, I'll be really happy about it. I really like the watch, but hate the strap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Houston Chris,
Any word on how the alteration came out? I have recently purchased a Jazzmaster Auto Chrono on a bracelet and want to know what my options are for putting a strap on in the future, so may be considering having additional springbar indentations drilled in to get the strap springbar closer to the case. My AD was not very helpful and didn't even know the springbars were in different locations. Any comments or pictures or if you could share about what the alteration cost would be great!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nope. Apparently, Hamilton makes cases that are the same size and look exactly alike, but have different locations for the springbars, depending on whether it leaves the factory with a bracelet or a strap. Afterwards, you can't swap one for the other without taking power tools to the lugs. On my watch, I stuck the endlinks into the lugs (without the bracelet or springbars) and looked to see where the holes should be. They're off by about 1-2 mm. Stupid design by Hamilton, if you ask me, but obviously, they didn't.
It's not only the springbar location....the lugs themselves are different. I"ve owned a couple of Hamilton Khaki chronos (I made a post about this on here or on TZ....can't remember now), but the lugs are longer on the bracelet version and have a straight end. On the strap version, the lugs are shorter and are rounded slightly.

I found this out the hard way when I bought a bracelet version, sold the bracelet and put on a leather strap. There was a big gap between the strap and the end of the case that looked odd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts