WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening all,

I need a bit of advice. I am in the market for a good field watch and I really like the Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 42.

I am hesitating at buying a watch of this type/price because I have previously had a bad experience with a low priced SEIKO SNZG13 field watch. There were three things I really disliked about the SNZG13. Firstly, I didn't like having the DAY in two different languages, English is fine but I hated the Arabic! Secondly, it took almost 6 hours for the day/date to change over midnight (approx 10pm to 4am) which is far too long IMHO. An finally, the accuracy of the watch (7S36 movement) was poor - always 30+ seconds per day fast.

I know the Hamilton has an ETA movement but I am a little concerned that it may turn out to be another SNZG13! I'd be interested to know if anyone can put my mind at ease and I'd really appreciate hearing about anyones experience (good or bad) with the Hamilton Khaki Auto 42.

Cheer's,
Rob

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
You might also have a look at Sinn and Damasko.

·
Banned
246 Posts
The Hamilton is a solid watch. The ETA 2824-2 speaks for itself. It should run a bit fast on the wrist (+2/3) and lose the time if you rest it crown up. Using this variance I have had 2824's run dead on. One thing about the Hamilton 42, the date window will be a little off center (towards the middle of the dial), whereas the 38mm date window will be right on the 3 o'clock position. Some people are put off by this.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The movement in the Khaki watches changes the date over at right about midnight, give or take a few minutes.

Regarding timekeeping, the movement in there could be up to +20 seconds per day, but that would be at the worst end.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I can't speak on the day changing because I'm asleep :). But during the day on my wrist my Auto 42mm runs maybe 3 seconds fast, and runs pretty much dead on overnight if rested on its side with the crown up. I think you'll be pleased.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
The date change is pretty quick. It takes about 15 minutes or less, although similar rules apply to using the quick set date change.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thought I'd throw in my two cents. I had the Khaki Field Auto in 42mm briefly, but for some reason didn't like the size although I have other 42mm watches. The 38mm is much more to my liking (although a 40mm probably would have been perfect). As for timing, mine initially gained a consistent 10sec/day which was not bad at all, but my watch guy adjusted it to a steady +5sec/day. The watch is on a Hadley Roma 2035. Love it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Be sure to check out the review by Barry H, it's excellent. In the forum under Hamilton Reviews, I think:Confessions of a rebellious WIS - A review of the Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
Thank's for all the feedback folks. I'm definitely gonna try one of these beauties when funds allow :)

Cheer's

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are many differences between a seiko and a hamilton! The hamilton is good .... but seiko is always seiko!

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 38mm Hamilton, i love the watch, it's running 5-7 sec on day, i also have the seiko skx007, Hamilton is better build it look more expensive and the 38mm fits better on small wrist (6.5') go for it it is a good watch for the price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, do you have the Khaki Field Mechanic H69419933? For how long have you had this watch? Reason for my question is I am looking to buy the same watch but i being put off by some reviews I read in the internet that it stopped working after a year, with the main spring breaking off quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts