WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the Gordon and Gordon B? I know the Gordon came with the 982M movement while the Gordon B appears to have the 754.

Any other info on the Gordon series would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Never heard of the "Gordon B". It's not listed in Rene Rondeau's book or Cooksey Shugart. While it may well exist it seems strange to have a 17 jewel movement (754) in an 18K solid gold case (which, presumably the Gordon B would have, since the Gordon is 18K).

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
What is the difference between the Gordon and Gordon B? I know the Gordon came with the 982M movement while the Gordon B appears to have the 754.

Any other info on the Gordon series would be appreciated.

Thanks
The Gordon was made with both movements - - the 754 around the early 1950s. I have seen one or two Gordon cases where the inside did say "GORDON B." Perhaps the case was slightly different to better fit the 754, or maybe some other reason.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Is one movement seen to be more desirable than the other?
BTW - I saw your 1947 Gordon - very nice.
:thanks

I'm not sure if the 754 is any better - - the design is newer, but that doesn't always mean better. My sources indicate the 754 has 19 jewels, and I believe they are "adjusted" as well. Personally, I'm partial to the 982M with the gold medallion.|>

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes, I was mistaken, the 754 does have 19 jewels not 17.

I also would prefer the 982M movement but either would be OK.

Presumably the switch to the 754 was made after the 982 went out of production in 1951.

Is this the watch you are looking at?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
There were several models for which the case had to be redesigned as a result of the discountinuation of the 982/980 movements. Here is a Jeffrey B, that has the 752 movement, rather than the earlier 980.

Got it for next to nothing and gave it to a friend name Jeffrey!

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Ha! The 1947 Gordon I acquired last year didn't even say "Gordon."

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Re: Allow me to intoduce...

My 1946 Gordon.

I do need to puchase a larger band. Any idea what color the original would be?
That's a great looking Gordon...CONGRATS! I suspect they could be purchased with different color straps at the time. I would just find one that suits your taste, although less rather than more padding would be truer to the original. :-!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts