WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
There was a time when I researched this and knew the answer. I cannot find my source so do not assume this is gospel. From what I can remember, the 982M and the 982 with the Medallion are the same mechanism. The 982M ( no medallion) came later and was basically a cost saving not to place the gold symbol. I do not know dates. I would also be happy to hear from anyone with a definitive answer.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Has that been redialed? Looks like some of the hour markers are crooked

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Has that been redialed? Looks like some of the hour markers are crooked
I'm not sure,I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out.They do seem to be misaligned to me too.It belongs to a good friend of mine I'll have to let him know.I can't tell if the print looks good I'm not very familiar with how this dial should look but there is some ware of the dial paint under the bezel.Could it be an older redial or maybe the markers came lose at some point?

I just checked it with a few others and it does seem like it has been redialed.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Looks like a nice watch. Someone took good care of it also. Looks like over a half dozen service marks. I'm also thinking that the markers are not original to the watch either. It just looks odd to me that the 3, 9 & 12 markers cross over the line. I would think they would have been more uniformed to the other markers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Agree that this has been redialed... 'Hamilton' is looking a bit off too. However, in looking at the image on page 53 of Bruce Shawkey's book, it looks like it was done correctly and done well. The indices are (or should be) riveted on and could be rotated into correct alignment.

In contrast to Giotime, Bruce's book also discusses the 982 M vs. the regular 982. The M models apparently start showing up in 1940, were basically the same as the regular 982 (introduced 1935) but were finished at a higher degree and reserved (mostly) for solid gold cases.

Information on the case maker can be found here.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Agree that this has been redialed... 'Hamilton' is looking a bit off too. However, in looking at the image on page 53 of Bruce Shawkey's book, it looks like it was done correctly and done well. The indices are (or should be) riveted on and could be rotated into correct alignment.

In contrast to Giotime, Bruce's book also discusses the 982 M vs. the regular 982. The M models apparently start showing up in 1940, were basically the same as the regular 982 (introduced 1935) but were finished at a higher degree and reserved (mostly) for solid gold cases.

Information on the case maker can be found here.
Just to clarify my earlier post: I was not comparing a 982 with a 982 M. Absolutely the 982 came earlier and the 982 M was later and an upgrade . My comparison was between the 2 versions of the 982M. I thought this was what the OP was referring to. Some versions of the 982 M have a gold stamp (very cool looking ). The other version of the 982M,as in the OP's , just has a capital M, but no gold stamp medallion. It is (was) my understanding that these 2 are the same. Based on serial numbers it appears that the no gold stamp version came later.

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information Jack And Giotime!! This was purchased by a friend of mine who bought it with a lot of jewelry and coins.I was the first one to open it and it was exciting to see it was solid gold.He does a lot of business this way and I think there is a good chance for finding some great watches.I'm just having fun being able to identify them for him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts