Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Longines Column Wheel Monopusher Chronograph

Votes: 8 30.8%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, I've just pre-ordered the Hamilton Intra-Matic 68 Auto Chrono. My dad offered to chip in $1000 for me to cancel the order and he'll get us the Longines Column Wheel Monopusher. Should I take him up on the offer?

I can afford the Hamilton Intra-Matic 68, but I can't afford the Longines Column Wheel Monopusher by myself. However, I don't want anyone, especially my parents, to help me buy a watch. I want to earn these things myself. My dad did say that he'll wear the Longines as well. He treats his steel Daytona as a safe queen. I've already decided that I'll share the Intra-Matic 68 with him, so that doesn't push me either way. I'm flexible.

Hamilton-Intra-Matic-68-Chronograph-1.jpg
column-wheel-chronograph.jpg

Hamilton Intra-Matic 68 Pros:
- More appealing dial
- Vintage style pushers; dual pusher (more useful)
- Lume
- 100 ATM water resistance
- Less expensive
- more "fun"
- I plan on running for office. I'm American. I know Hamilton is owned by the Swiss. But I like the heritage.

Longines Column Wheel Monopusher Chronograph Pros:
- Better finish
- Column Wheel driven
- 41 mm width; 14 mm thickness
- Higher on brand hierarchy (My dad always wanted a Longines when he was a poor kid in Vietnam.)
- movement exposition caseback

Hamilton Intra-Matic 68 Cons:
- 42 mm width; 14.7 mm thickness
- Cam driven

Longines Column Wheel Monopusher Chronograph Cons:
- Monopusher (Even more vintage style, feature, not a bug, but I prefer dual pushers, since they're more versatile)
- 30 atm water resistance (this is a big con)
- no lume
- I'm 24 years old. It might be inappropriate for me to wear that nice of a watch.

Ties:
- Limited production, though Hamilton is designated a "Limited Edition"
- I'm lukewarm on both stock straps
- Both logos are fantastic.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: You folks asked for pictures. You've got 'em!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Re: Hamilton Intra-Matic 68 vs Longines Column Wheel Monopusher Chronograph

Buy the watch that speaks to your ideas of aesthetics and value more clearly. Your father will be happy with whatever you purchase and you can share the watch with him whenever you like.

·
Registered
342 Posts

I love my Longines column wheel monopusher, but it is pretty dressy. If you're looking for sporting/ race watch go with the Hami, if you want elegant/ dressy go Longines. I'd personally prefer the column wheel movements but I've not had to pay service costs lol,...
But in the end you should buy the one which speaks most to you.

·
Premium Member
71,325 Posts

I get the impression from reading your post that you're leaning towards the Hamilton slightly. If so do the deed and get it.

·
Registered
12,615 Posts

As I am not familiar with either of these watches a couple of photos would certainly have helped! I checked online and I prefer the Hamilton.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts

I don't think there's a big a gulf between the watches as the price suggests. Sounds to me that you like the Hamilton, so go with that. And I'd check the thickness on the Longines. I have two of their column wheel chronographs (essentially the same as the monopusher, I believe) and they are thick watches as well.

I think both are nice, and I'd give a slight edge to Longines, but not enough to overcome your desire for the Hamilton, I'd think.

·
Registered
197 Posts

I really like the looks of the Hamilton and, based on your comments, it seems like you do as well. I'd go for the Hamilton unless your dad just has to have the Longines in which case I'd offer to buy that with the understanding that you'd be trading it to him for his Daytona.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On design and looks the Longines is the clear winner. Whether joint ownership of that watch will work only you can answer.
It's not really the joint ownership that turns me off. Actually, it wouldn't be joint ownership. It would be a gift. But I'm weary of taking anything from my parents.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,341 Posts
It's not really the joint ownership that turns me off. Actually, it wouldn't be joint ownership. It would be a gift. But I'm weary of taking anything from my parents.
Sounds like weary and wary may be equally descriptive. I think you have answered the question as to which watch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like weary and wary may be equally descriptive. I think you have answered the question as to which watch.
I just checked the dictionary and you're right! I meant to use weary but wary works too! Sorry English is my third language so I get some words confused.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,341 Posts
I just checked the dictionary and you're right! I meant to use weary but wary works too! Sorry English is my third language so I get some words confused.
I was once weary(tired of) of feeling dependent on my parents so I was wary of their offer to buy me a car.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Gotta say the Hamilton. That model of Longines doesn't really do anything particularly outstanding, whereas that's a standout Hamilton. The Longines is very nice, don't get me wrong, but it just looks like a lot of dress watches out there.

Looking at your pros and cons list, the overall sum leans more heavily toward the Hamilton, based on what you listed as pros and cons, meaning the good points of the Hammy are superior to the good points of the Longines, and the cons of the Longines weigh more heavily than the few drawbacks of the Hammy (which I don't really see as drawbacks, to be be honest). Plus the Hamilton is more versatile in pairing it with a range of settings/outfits. I may be a bit biased, because I love my Hamiltons so much, haha, but I think, objectively, the favor is toward the Hammer.

Factor in the "no strings attached" element of buying it on your own, and I think the Hamilton becomes a very easy slam dunk.

Look forward to your review of what you wind up buying.

Reactions: mleok

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Dang - those both look amazing - no wrong answer. That said - if you want it to be "all yours" (no help) go for the Hammy - it's a stunner!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Both nice watches. But if you like the Hamilton then go for it. It is sporty and maybe a little more youthful. Plus I dont think many would consider Longines a far superior brand to Hamilton

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
At your age, the Hamilton is the way to go and I'd probably pick it at any age. Unless you are an Investment Banker and suiting up every day!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts