• Sinn 903 ST BE

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time posting a new thread and a poll. Please be kind! My apologies if it's in a wrong thread. Newcomer here from Melbourne, Australia! This forum has helped me a lot. Finally, I gathered the courage to join in May and started to post this month.

Will reach the 40 years old club soon and decided to gift myself a chrono, even though budget is tight! Damn! COVID-19!. Chronos are pretty handy lads, particularly as an analogue counter in the exam hall. I am torn between two blues brothers- Hamilton Intra-Matic H38416541 and Sinn 903 ST BE. The Sinn will stretch my budget to maximum.

Please feel free to share your views on these two and participate in the poll. The value proposition could be an interesting debate. I will give the Hammy a bit of an edge over the Sinn in the value proposition. Being that said, the Sinn feels like the great navitimer 806 love I will never have if I miss on it. Crikey, my mind!

april_2020-06-24-04-00-32-595.jpg
hamilton vs sinn.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Can’t see a poll on iOS, but I can comment - 903. Hands down.

In fact I’m struggling to stop myself getting one

I’m sure the Hamilton is a good watch, but the 903 is a great watch!

Good call with the image problem (IMO of course, no offence meant to Hamilton fans) I think I have this and it stems from the original models...

Spoil yourself OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
I voted for the Hamilton, it is very similar to the original 1968 Hamilton. The Sinn is very similar (too similar?) to the original Navitimer ...

·
Registered
953 Posts
It seems like you’ve done quite a bit of research already. Go where your heart pulls you.

That being said, $3,340 is already a hefty amount for the Sinn. Why not be patient and save up for the real deal (Breitling)? They can be had for $6k USD after discount.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Good call with the image problem (IMO of course, no offence meant to Hamilton fans) I think I have this and it stems from the original models...

Image problem? I don’t think that anyone outside of WUS gives a toss about Hamilton’s image. Now if you’re trying to impress a bunch of internet strangers on WUS, then by all means.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My choice would be the Hamilton Intra-Matic Chrono with the blue dial. As for the Sinn 903 ST BE, for an extra $1k USD, I would as my self if I need an interior rotating bezel with a logarithmic scale. If so, I may wait for the release of Hamilton's Khaki Aviation Converter Collection.
Thanks heaps for the suggestions and info. With a 16 cm wrist and at 44 mm case size, the Hamilton's Khaki Aviation Converter is completely out of my comfort zone. I feel like the Hammy is the third wheel in slide rule bezel after the Breitling and Sinn and could be a good alternative to big Breitling navitimers.

Reactions: NC_Hager626

·
Registered
949 Posts
Image problem? I don’t think that anyone outside of WUS gives a toss about Hamilton’s image. Now if you’re trying to impress a bunch of internet strangers on WUS, then by all means.
I meant personally - for me Hamilton make a great watch (I’ve had a few) there’s just something that doesn’t sit right, and they’ve always moved on. Hard to quantify but it’s there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems like you’ve done quite a bit of research already. Go where your heart pulls you.

That being said, $3,340 is already a hefty amount for the Sinn. Why not be patient and save up for the real deal (Breitling)? They can be had for $6k USD after discount.
I agree on Breitling, particularly A23322 would be a real deal. With a 16cm wrist, the new Breitlings (B01 movement) are out of my comfort zone. The old ones with a 3 bar WR, in the long run, create so many maintenances issues like fogging and so on and Melbourne is having her majesty's weather most of the time, it's a deal-breaker for me. But no doubt, A23322 is the most good looking (bling! bling !) of all.

Reactions: BRN

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I voted for the Hamilton, it is very similar to the original 1968 Hamilton. The Sinn is very similar (too similar?) to the original Navitimer ...
All the Sinners will disagree with this comment for the sake of their forbidden love for the forbidden authenticity in the eyes of Breitling navitimers. And then there are those vintage Sinns where all the inside parts are engraved "Breitling". I thank Seiko for creating these moments in the so-called history of horology.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have that same blue hammy and I really like it, fits me well and keeps real good time. That Sinn though, is a really good looking watch also, I love the color of the hands and markers on it as well as the 12 hours timer that the hammy dont have. the downside of the sinn is that the dial just looks a lot busier and the price. shop around for a while may be you can find some you like even better?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have that same blue hammy and I really like it, fits me well and keeps real good time. That Sinn though, is a really good looking watch also, I love the color of the hands and markers on it as well as the 12 hours timer that the hammy dont have. the downside of the sinn is that the dial just looks a lot busier and the price. shop around for a while may be you can find some you like even better?
Thanks for the input, FF. I was after a unique Sinn 903, Sinn 903 ST PAZZO. I reckon it was never discussed here in the Watchuseek forum. The Sinn 903 ST Pazzo is a rare Sinn 903, released only in Japan in 2006, to celebrate the 25th-anniversary of men's apparel company "PAZZO". It's only known in Japan. The "PAZZO" model is too similar to the Breitling navitimer 806. Here are some photos for the Sinn 903 fans.
april_2020-06-08-22-55-04-220.jpg
april_2020-05-26-08-54-24-297.jpg

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Amen.

Hamilton is known and revered in the US, and also very popular in Italy - where they know a thing or two about style. Which one do you prefer the looks of?

BTW for timing more than 30 min you'll need the Sinn. I would prefer the Hamilton, and most people would just pick the one they prefer without considering your needs. But since timing is a factor, I picked the Sinn in this poll.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amen.

Hamilton is known and revered in the US, and also very popular in Italy - where they know a thing or two about style. Which one do you prefer the looks of?

BTW for timing more than 30 min you'll need the Sinn. I would prefer the Hamilton, and most people would just pick the one they prefer without considering your needs. But since timing is a factor, I picked the Sinn in this poll.
I have zero issues with that Hammy. It's a ripper watch! And it fits my budget best! The Sinn 903 is a beauty and has the hour counter!

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Yeah, if your exams are 30 minutes or less, go with the Hamilton. Otherwise, I'd pick the Sinn. It's probably as close to the original Navitimer as anything Breitling makes today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently acquired the Intra-matic (the panda version) and, although I'm probably an exception, I did have problems with the chrono function only a few hours after I started wearing it (the chrono second hand would not reset at 12 every time and finally it came loose). It happened recently so I can't comment on the reason why this happened, or how Hamilton will resolve it. Will share my experience in detail once I get it back. But I wanted to mention this in case the OP is interested in using the chrono function often, since I've heard Sinn watches are very robust and, although these are similar movements, and I believe Hamilton also has a reputation for robustness, perhaps this particular watch's beauty also entails it being a little more delicate. It seems like something to consider.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, if your exams are 30 minutes or less, go with the Hamilton. Otherwise, I'd pick the Sinn. It's probably as close to the original Navitimer as anything Breitling makes today.
Ta for the advice. I agree that the Sinn 903 is the closest anyone can get to an original Breitling 806. With the 30 minutes register, I can still supervise hourly exams, just a reset in the middle and announcing the remaining 30 minutes to students.

Reactions: rfortson

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recently acquired the Intra-matic (the panda version) and, although I'm probably an exception, I did have problems with the chrono function only a few hours after I started wearing it (the chrono second hand would not reset at 12 every time and finally it came loose). It happened recently so I can't comment on the reason why this happened, or how Hamilton will resolve it. Will share my experience in detail once I get it back. But I wanted to mention this in case the OP is interested in using the chrono function often, since I've heard Sinn watches are very robust and, although these are similar movements, and I believe Hamilton also has a reputation for robustness, perhaps this particular watch's beauty also entails it being a little more delicate. It seems like something to consider.
That's new to me. I reckon Hammys are quite robust and should have a good QC process under the Swatch flagship, though they sit in the lower tier of Swatch. I heard a couple of complaints about the new Sinns. Many assume they increased their productions and QC is not that robust anymore.

Reactions: eblanes

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The movement is basically the same, it's nothing to do with robustness. The chrono seconds hand wasn't fitted with enough pressure. It's a big, quite chunky hand, and has a lot of weight. Make sure, when you sent the watch back to have it refitted, that they check the dial for small scratches after the hand fell off.

My experience with Sinn is that the Swiss movements (which Sinn does not make) are tough, but build can sometimes be a bit iffy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts