WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

Please check out my video review of the Hamilton Jazzmaster open heart.
For the money, I absolutely love this piece.
Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

regards
Art

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

This is one of the few Hamilton models I haven't owned that I admire. Is this 40 or 42 now? I thought they made them larger. 44 is my norm, but I own one 42. It looks tiny on me but Hamilton have longer lugs so this might be passable if it's 42.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I believe it’s a 42, it does wear slightly smaller though. For the money a knock out piece, with a lot of exploitable details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just looking at the video, I think the lugs are 22mm and the movement is a H-10 which is a modified ETA with 70+ hour power reserve

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looking at the video, I think the lugs are 22mm and the movement is a H-10 which is a modified ETA with 70+ hour power reserve
I think I read somewhere that they managed to extend the PR by basically reducing the frequency. It apparently used to beat at 28,000 vph but they slowed it to 21,000. Only drawback to this is that the sweep of the seconds hand is not as smooth. But it’s a valuable compromise imo.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes Hamilton have been doing this to most of their movements for some time, reducing the beat rate to gain extra power reserve of approx 80 hours.
It's a trade off some welcome but many others don't due to the more jittery second hand, and the lack of regulation ability.

Chris

Reactions: amg786

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Hamilton have been doing this to most of their movements for some time, reducing the beat rate to gain extra power reserve of approx 80 hours.
It's a trade off some welcome but many others don't due to the more jittery second hand, and the lack of regulation ability.

Chris
Tbh I’d prefer a smoother sweep.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I would too tbh, but at some point somewhere deep within the Swatch group HQ they thought this would be a better idea

Chris

Reactions: ChiefWahoo

·
Registered
531 Posts

Chris
That it cannot be regulated is a myth spread years ago, probably because of wrongly assuming Hamilton movements with a lot of power reserve are the same than Swissmatic (70PR) or Sistem51 (90PR) used in other watches from the Swatch/ETA family.

It has been debunked around WUS several times already that they cannot be regulated, along other myths such as that the H-10 has a plastic escapements. Recent example:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/i-am-trying-understand-new-swatch-movements-4853237.html

It's a free-sprung system used by other brands too. It might not be as easily regulable as those coming with a standard regulator but it does provide some other fundamental advantages.

Considering how accurate the H-10 movements get out of the box, I think they did a great job with this movement and I'm not surprised why it's used inside many Hamiltons.

The "problem" with it just as happens with the standard grade ETA 2824 is that it's a bit ugly in my opinion to be used inside so many watches with visible movements. However, I understand that such undecorated and plain look can actually be a charm for many.

***EDIT***
On the other hand, besides reducing the beat rate and introducing a free-sprung system, they made additional changes to the ETA 2824. Not often we can see H-10 movements being disassembled because it's too new I guess, but this guy shows several differences between the H-10 and the ETA 2824. The site's in Japanese but the pics give a good idea:
https://www.j-tajima.com/hpgen/HPB/entries/22.html

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Ok...i'll amend my statement to not easily regulated then, as it is so much easier on the 2824 to simply turn the regulator screw or move the lever on other movements.
Having to move the tiny screws on the balance wheel itself to regulate the movement is much more difficult & fiddly and also subject to a higher risk of damage simply due to the fragility of these parts, and really not worth the risk to the average tinkerer.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts