WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....I bought this watch 1 month ago on the grey market. I had been on a mean run of flipping watches. It had started with the Remora which got traded for 2 vintage divers which then got sold to fund an Oris TT1 Diver. I just couldn't find the right match.

I really wanted something with an internal bezel in it. My grail was the Longines Legend Diver, but I couldn't come up with the cash for one new or used. My second options were the Zixen DSR500 and O7 LM-2....but both of these were going to probably be too massive for me. The third option was the Halios Laguna....but this was not coming out until the end of April or May....and there was very little chance that I was going to make it into the first round of releases.

Then I was randomly flipping through Hamilton's online catalog and found this watch. It combined many elements of design that really meshed well for a sporty dress diver. I couldn't really find any pics on google or forums of this watch besides stock photos. I guess it was more of a European release. I eventually found one on e-bay from a reputable dealer and took a chance.

I've had this watch a month now, and I can hardly take it off.

Here's a quick breakdown of my impressions of this piece

Case: The Jazzmaster case is a classic modern design which is uniquely Hamilton. It blends polished and brushed surfaces perfectly and the finish is sharp and crisp. The size is spot on at 42mm not including crowns. The lug to lug is 52mm which adds some serious size to the watch, but the curvature of the lugs allows it to sit well on the wrist as well as the flat case back. The height is ~12mm including domed crystal which allows the watch to be worn under a dress shirt. The display back is a nice perk on a diver. The placement of the 2 crowns fits smoothly and quite attractively onto the Jazzmaster case and gives the impression of a vintage style Super Compressor case. I would rate the case design as a 10/10 for an excellent execution

Movement=I believe is the 21 jewel ETA 2893 GMT. This watch has been excellently regulated and has been gaining about 1/2 a second a day for the last month. This is the most accurate mechanical watch I've ever owned. The GMT function is fun to use and quite useful.
10/10

Dial=This is why I sold my Remora....The Micro brands simply don't make dials with the kind of detail that can be found on the established Swiss brands. This watch is no exception. This is probably the coolest dial I've ever seen on a watch. The black finish has a center brushed finish that has a subtle charcoal grey metallic shimmer under direct light. This combined with the raised applied polished arabic numerals and arrow markers found throughout the Jazzmaster line make for a wonderful display. The text is crisp well layed out and very legible. The text is busy but appealing to the eye and not overwhelming. The rotating inner bezel ring blends well with the dial and adds that cool retro feel to the layout. I especially like the font used on the bezel numerals. The lume is a little underwhelming but does last throughout the night. The lume on the hands and markers is applied in such a thin line that it doesn't torch up too intensely. However, I have woken up at 5:00 in the morning and have been able to read the time without straining my eyes. I like the fact that the lume has been applied to the arrow head of the GMT hand. The crystal is a slightly domed sapphire with no AR coating so it tends to offer many different panaromas of the watches dial and looks like a totally different watch depending on what angle you are looking at it from. That may be a turn off for you die-hard dive watch fans who don't like distortion. I prefer it. Normally, I don't like a white date wheel on a black dial, but in this case it works due to the abundance of white text. I'd give the dial a 9/10 only due to the average lume.

Functionality: As mentioned above, the 2893 is a smooth and easy watch to wind, set, and change GMT/date. The 2 crowns both screw down quite easily and thread smoothly. The internal-bezel is not as easy to use as I was hoping. It's kind of a pain to have to unscrew the bottom crown in order to engage the bezel. The bezel action could probably afford to have a little more resistance in it. However, once you get the hang of using it, it is pretty simple to set the bezel and then screw it back down without having it move. I use it all the time to time therapy sessions(I'm a PT) and exercises. I'm not too sure how practical it is for diving to have a bezel that cannot be set unless you are out of the water....unless there is a gasket that is in play when the crown is pulled out. My other qualm with the bezel is that there is no lume....not even on the arrow marker. That is a big downer. However, I'm not a diver. I'm just a suburbanite with a swimming pool. So, for me these things are not that big of a deal. However, for a serious diver, this may be an issue. In terms of WR, I think 200m is quite ample for a dressy watch such as this. I'll give the watch a 7/10 for functionality as a diver.

Overall impression: This watch is a steal at its MSRP of $1200. It's even more of a steal at the $750 I paid for it on the grey market. You get the elegant design of the Jazzmaster line of watches cross bred with a vintage style diver. How can you go wrong? Hamilton has a great reputation and a well respected pedigree. The watch comes on a black sail cloth styled strap which I decided to switch out with a Hadley Roma Brown Croc. I think it suits the watch well. This watch really can be worn in any situation. It's hard to find a cool dive watch in the 42mm range with all the trending towards 44mm+. I also like 22mm straps which is a great strap size for someone with sub 7" wrists. I'll give this watch an 8/10 as a practical diver but a 10/10 as a quailty timeless watch that will always remain a classic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks for this review. This hamilton looks amazing :-!

I like its "retro" hands and the structured case with the mix of sharp and smooth angle.

Dial=This is why I sold my Remora....The Micro brands simply don't make dials with the kind of detail that can be found on the established Swiss brands.
I've noticed this as well. My 2 Hamiltons - a BelowZero and QNE - have extremely detailed dials. They really look like sharp little instruments.

My Below Zero, for example, has the most precise anisotropic radial brushed dial I ever saw. Each numeral has also a beautiful metallic outline. It's extremely thin but it helps to cut the numbers from the background dial.

Too many micro brands use low cost dials, with just a printed dial and roughly painted lume numerals. It's a shame.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice review and beautiful Hamilton. Congratulations on your new Hammy!
+1
Great review and tempting pictures of a beautiful timepiece!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Very nice (and good write-up -- thanks!) 42mm, 12mm thin, and the internal bezel gives it a great wrist presence. I'll look for one. I can definitely see it competing well with my LLD (and I've owned two Jazzmaster series already and like them - great classic design elements).

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Great detailed review and awesome pics. The watch looks fantastic. Does it have an AR coating on the crystal?

This seems like a good budget choice for those considering the Longines Legend but can't afford it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
nice review. is there a similar Hamilton without the gmt feature?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice review. is there a similar Hamilton without the gmt feature?
I don't think so. I think they make this watch in this version and a silver dialed version with a white internal bezel insert. I personally think the GMT only adds to the watch and is completely inobtrusive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow, that watch is stunning. I have never seen one before, and it is a terrific example of a dressy diver. I love my Hamilton Khaki Navy GMT and its sporty look, but really admire the subtle class of your Jazzmaster version.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Nice review - thanks for your efforts!

It's interesting you were disappointed with the Remora dial - it's about my favourite aspect of the whole watch!

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
Lovely watch! I'm a big Hamilton fan myself.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice review - thanks for your efforts!

It's interesting you were disappointed with the Remora dial - it's about my favourite aspect of the whole watch!
I know I know. The Remora is a rock solid watch. Maybe it's my weird bias towards liking "swiss made" written on a dial, or the way in which many of the micros do very little on the dial except for lume....but I wish the Remora, bluering,Moray, (just to name a few) would add some applied markers just to add some more dimension and detail to the dials. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Remora dial...actually it's quite minimalist and striking, but I sometimes feel these watches could add a little more substance to their dials.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Me too, this is the first Hamilton watch that I've actually considered. I've been wanting to get something with an internal bezel (love the Ocean7 lm-2, but it's waaay to big) that doesn't break the bank--under $1000 for me. I wish this came in a non GMT version as well. I don' need it and would prefer to save money on the movement, but at least this GMT looks simple and not in the way.

Beautiful watch, I seriously might get this as a present to myself since I finally found a new job. Looks like a great business watch. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Coolest GMT i've seen recently. Any updates on the ownership experience?
I'm thinking about gettin' this one. (in silver).

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Gorgeous GMT watch. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
It's interesting point you brought up about the dial.
+1 Jason:)
I agree that micro's tend to just print directly on dials not creating much depth and texture. This can be a hit or miss for some.
Perhaps the major reason is cost and too keep the costs down.
Either way I must say your Hammy looks great!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts