WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

Wanting to pick up another Hamilton Khaki field, and am torn between the eta 2824 and the Hamilton H movement.

Does it really matter?

Anyone have one they're looking to part with?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I think the same movement only the H one has been modified for longer power reserve, and lower beat rate. Not sure if it has any other affect... Unless someone has more knowledge please help us noobies! I would just go with the one you like best..

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Yea, lower beat rate and longer power reserve. I'm not sure if the shock protection has improved, but I know the h movement can't be regulated easily like on the eta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, lower beat rate and longer power reserve. I'm not sure if the shock protection has improved, but I know the h movement can't be regulated easily like on the eta.

I guess my concern is ease of maintenance with the h10. The eta, anyone with a basic working knowledge can attempt to regulate...with the h10, I believe it's not able to be regulated, as the parts are assembled and "regulated" by laser

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I guess my concern is ease of maintenance with the h10. The eta, anyone with a basic working knowledge can attempt to regulate...with the h10, I believe it's not able to be regulated, as the parts are assembled and "regulated" by laser

I wouldn’t worry too much. Service intervals are 4-5 years and you could get away with leaving it for longer than that. If the timing accuracy drifted within the first year it would be covered by the warranty anyway. The laser doesn’t actually do the regulating but measures the balance wheel which has adjustable weights that the watchmaker moves to regulate rather than the traditional lever. It’s actually more precise and sort of similar to the Rolex Microstella adjusting nuts used on their balance wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have a 42mm with the H10 movement. I'd get the 38mm with the 2824.

Size: 42mm is a very reasonable size for a diver, where the dial is relatively small to accommodate the bezel, but the Khaki is all dial. It makes the watch wear MUCH bigger than its size would suggest.

The picture still doesn't quite tell the whole story. I have huge wrists (8-8.5") and the 42mm Khaki looks like a dinner plate on my wrist.

Movement: one of my favorite things about the Khaki is that the hands are the proper length. In other words, they actually reach all the way out to what it is they're supposed to be pointing to (short hands are a major pet peeve of mine). Sounds great, right? Well, at 28,800bph it probably would be. But with hands that long, especially on the 42mm, they really exaggerate the 21,600bph of the H10. I'm not a BPH-snob (my most beloved Seikos are, after all, 21.6k) but the sweep of an H10 with a long seconds-hand makes a Seiko 7s26 look like a spring drive.

I love my Khaki, but if I had to do it all over again I'd have sought out a 2824-driven 38mm.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t go for a Khaki in 42mm because it’s just too big period. 38mm is a wonderful size given the current trend is shifting away from oversized watches (thank god).

As for the vph the one thing about all my vintage watches that have a low beat is that slight tick is actually quite hypnotic to look at. And I think I mentioned that the Audemars Piguet signature Royal Oak with its needle like second hand runs at 21,600 in a 41mm case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just bought a 38mm silver dial and its a cool little watch chucked the stock strap put a colareb on and it looks great. The h10 movement has an 80 hr power reserve and is very accurate mine is dead on after its first day. Both powermatics ive had so far were extremely accurate out of the box a plus with the H10. Int he past ive had a khaki king 2 i just didnt care for the look of the watch and it was too big almost put me off to Hamiltons but i recently picked up a 38mm chrono and it was awesome so i grabbed the regular field 38mm also. They are excellent watches.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a 42mm with the H10 movement. I'd get the 38mm with the 2824.

Size: 42mm is a very reasonable size for a diver, where the dial is relatively small to accommodate the bezel, but the Khaki is all dial. It makes the watch wear MUCH bigger than its size would suggest.

The picture still doesn't quite tell the whole story. I have huge wrists (8-8.5") and the 42mm Khaki looks like a dinner plate on my wrist.

Movement: one of my favorite things about the Khaki is that the hands are the proper length. In other words, they actually reach all the way out to what it is they're supposed to be pointing to (short hands are a major pet peeve of mine). Sounds great, right? Well, at 28,800bph it probably would be. But with hands that long, especially on the 42mm, they really exaggerate the 21,600bph of the H10. I'm not a BPH-snob (my most beloved Seikos are, after all, 21.6k) but the sweep of an H10 with a long seconds-hand makes a Seiko 7s26 look like a spring drive.

I love my Khaki, but if I had to do it all over again I'd have sought out a 2824-driven 38mm.

I was just the opposite. I bought a 38mm but felt it was too small. Flipped it and bought the 42mm. Like it much better. 7.75" wrist. To each their own.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I went for the 42mm as well, i can wear 38mm but do find it a little small, i have other 38mm watches but i find they're not the first ones i reach for out of the watch box so reckon i'd get more wear from the 42mm :)

Chris

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was just the opposite. I bought a 38mm but felt it was too small. Flipped it and bought the 42mm. Like it much better. 7.75" wrist. To each their own.
Likewise, i have passed on 38mm for being too small, but jumped on a field titanium 42mm because it looked reasonable on me (8" wrists - using the last fastening hole on the stock band). I have to say, i would never consider this 42" to look like a pie plate.. its really not that big.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a 38mm with the H-10 movement. As others have said, the H-10 is a lower beat (21,600 vs 28,800). I won't lie, if you really pay attention, you will be able to notice the slower beat. HOWEVER, what made me buy the H-10 over the standard was the power reserve. It is absolutely incredible. Advertised at 80 hours, but I swear mine is closer to 90. Really cool feature. In conclusion, you really can't go wrong with either movement. I would scratch it up to personal preference, I just wanted something a little different and unique which is why I went with the H-10.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good afternoon all,

Wanting to pick up another Hamilton Khaki field, and am torn between the eta 2824 and the Hamilton H movement.

Does it really matter?

Anyone have one they're looking to part with?

Go with the eta 2824.
It is serviceable and well known.

The H series movement requires it to be completely replaced if anything is wrong . It may use a silicone spring, maybe no escapwment. But they will replace the movement.

I prefer pedigree, foibles and all. Go with ETA 2824 even though power isx38 hours.

The H series 80 hour power comes at a cost: potential replace the whole movement. Just what I read.

I prefer reliability, serviceability, and maintainability .

In short: ETA 2824

1 - 14 of 14 Posts