WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am interested in purchasing this watch and read that it has an 80 hour power reserve. Is this the same movement as the powermatic 80 from Tissot? If so, do all Hamilton khaki watches come with this movement as I don't like the 6 beats per second of the second hand compared to that of the non-powermatic movements. Thanks.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes, it is the same movement as in the Tissot. They all belong to the Swatch group, and ETA is the one manufacturing this movement for all of them.

I don't think that the movement is in all their watches, at least not yet. They seem to be gradually introducing them into more and more of their watches though, so it could just be a matter of time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. I like this watch regardless of the powermatic 80 movement so I think I'll grab it anyway. I'm excited. This will be my first Hammy!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply. I like this watch regardless of the powermatic 80 movement so I think I'll grab it anyway. I'm excited. This will be my first Hammy!
Glad to be of help. That's a great choice, be sure to show us some pictures once you get it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm in the same boat and was debating on which one to get out of the two. I use to have a Tissot and loved it, but there are alot of great reviews out there on the Hamilton. Maybe you can post the follow up about your impressions and buying experience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll make sure to post a follow-up on the Hamilton. Should receive it within the next two weeks. I'lol post my experience with it on this thread along with some pictures.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I recently bought a Tissot with the Powermatic 80 movement. I was also concerned with the vph of the movement and was afraid the second hand would be jumpy or tick instead of sweep. I've had the watch for close to a month now and have no regrets about the movement. The second hand doesn't appear jumpy. The watch has a 42mm case and is mostly dial so that would exaggerate any ticking vs. sweeping appearance as well. It looks great, the movement is very accurate, and the long power reserve is really nice. I think you're going to be pleased!

Here's an internet pic of the Tissot I bought (thread needs pics!):

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the exact watch that I was so close to purchasing. It's definitely on my "future purchases" list. I tried that watch on at an AD in NYC and loved it but opted for a Tissot chemin de tourelles chrono model, black dial. Beautiful watch you got and good luck with it. Thank you for letting me know about the movement of the Hamilton which I purchased too. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's an online pic of the Chemin de Tourelles that I purchased for my upcoming wedding in July. Not wearing it until then and the Hamilton field is the watch that I was questioning. Very excited to get the hammy. And just in time for summer BBQs!

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Here's an online pic of the Chemin de Tourelles that I purchased for my upcoming wedding in July. Not wearing it until then and the Hamilton field is the watch that I was questioning. Very excited to get the hammy. And just in time for summer BBQs!
Hahaha, you've gotta be kidding me. I just bought that exact same Hamilton this morning. Should be here by the end of the week. Looks like we have similar taste.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that's crazy. Where did you order your hammy from? I ordered from joma. So since we have very similar taste and I'm looking at my next purchase already (yeah it's turned into a sickness). I've been looking at getting my first diver. I don't plan on getting it any time soon although it doesn't hurt to marinate on the idea of it for a while. Figured I might as well ask you what diver you own since you probably already have the watch which I will be getting hahaha. I really like the Longines Hydro Conquest with the two tone bracelet and blue dial. Haven't been looking at divers too long but this one has my attention.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a few divers right now. Here are some bad cell phone pics of the divers in my watch box right now:

Since I'm a terrible photographer, here are some internet shots of each...

Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Military mk1:

Seiko Orange Monster:

Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 43mm:

Oris Aquis Date:

Luminox 3182.BO:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Longines hydro conquest
The HydroConquest is a classic for sure. That would be a great addition. I've been watching for a good deal on the original "no date" version of the Longines Legend Diver for a while now myself. I've almost purchased a HydroConquest a few times as well. I used to have an Orient Blue Mako that had similar aesthetics to the HydroConquest. That kept me from buying one.

In addition to the Legend Diver no date, I've got my eyes peeled for good deals on a Tudor Black Bay and an IWC Aquatimer Jacques Cousteau. I'd love to have a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms eventually as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice collection. I think I'm partial to the Oris and Steinhart. I've seen a VS comparison between Oris and Longines a few times and it's been argued more than once that the Oris has it all over the Longines.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Very nice collection. I think I'm partial to the Oris and Steinhart. I've seen a VS comparison between Oris and Longines a few times and it's been argued more than once that the Oris has it all over the Longines.
The Oris is my favorite among my current divers. It is also my newest diver though, so that could partially be the honeymoon effect. I picked up the Oris a few weeks ago before a recent vacation. I "needed" a new vacation watch ;)

The Oris does seem to be the highest overall quality among my divers. They each have their own strong points for sure though.

The Oris is just a really nice watch all around. The dimensions are nicely proportioned. The ceramic bezel is great. I like the styling of the bezel, hands, markers, date wheel, crown, lugs, etc. The entire thing works very well from a design standpoint. All of the elements compliment each other nicely. The lume isn't the brightest, but it lasts longer than any of the others. The blue color is a really nice shade as well (both the lume and the dial/bezel). The blue color of the lume is a very "cool" shade of blue but with just enough vibrance to make it pop. The blue of the dial and bezel are quite subdued but gorgeous. The dial and bezel can appear anywhere from a cool grey color to a somewhat bright blue depending on lighting. Some folks don't like the lugs on the Oris since it's a proprietary design. It does prevent going plug and play with a bunch of different straps, but that doesn't bother me. Many fine, custom strap makers are happy to specially make straps for the Aquis (see combat straps for example). Plus the OEM bracelet and rubber strap are both wonderfully designed. So far, this has been my most accurate diver as well. It has run about +2 seconds/day on average over the last three weeks. I also appreciate the black date wheel. It really blends into the dial despite the dial actually being blue. It's very well executed. The rotating bezel action is firm and confident with no play. The rotor is silent and the crown operation feels very stout. The winding also feels very stout.

The Christopher Ward is also very nice all around. The watch has a little bit dressier appearance than the others. The Trident is also one of my most complimented watches. The black ceramic bezel is really stunning. It's nearly a mirror polish and catches and reflects light in a beautiful way. The dial has that wave pattern, but it's very subdued. The black version's wave pattern on the dial is much more prominent, though I prefer the white. The wave pattern is there, but you really don't notice it unless you are really looking at the watch. I really like the design of the hands, though some vehemently disagree. The hour hand has a great water droplet shape to it when viewed in the dark with the lume charged. It's really fitting for a dive watch and is a great touch imo. I also really like the trident shaped counterbalance of the second hand. Once again, it's very fitting for a dive watch. The stick hour markers really help to give the piece a dressy look as well. I also like the small lume dots around the edge of the dial outside of each hour marker. The lume on the watch is actually very good. It is the least bright other than the Oris, but it lasts all night with a good charge. The lume is a really nice shade of green. The bezel's rotating action is also very firm just like the Oris. It has a tiny bit of play in it, but it's negligible. The biggest knock on this watch is that it runs about 45 seconds per day fast. I own two other Christopher Ward watches that both run generally within COSC specs. I wonder if the Trident was somehow slightly damaged during shipping. I've been meaning to get it regulated but haven't yet. The bracelet on mine is the newest iteration and is great. The diver extension is well-designed and functions very well. The bracelet and end links all have nice, tight tolerances. The crown design and operation are excellent. The crown has a tiny bit of wobble when out, but doesn't feel delicate. The winding action is very stout on this one as well.

The Steinhart is a really great beater watch. It is very accurate and feels very solid and sturdy. It's the one that I worry the least about when it comes to banging it around and such. It's probably just the rugged, military appearance that makes me feel this way, but the watch is solid without a doubt. I really love the styling even though it was obviously stolen directly from the old Rolex milsub references. I do appreciate the slightly enlarged case at 42mm compared to the old Rolexes though. The lume is bright and lasts for several hours, though it is not applied as evenly as the others. The lume dots glow at varying brightnesses and the brightness does not dissipate evenly either. The watch easily runs within +/- 10 seconds/day. The bezel action is very good with little play as well. It has a little more play than the Trident, but it's still basically negligible. The crown operates well and the winding feels strong. There isn't any wobble in the crown and it screws down confidently. The domed sapphire crystal is great. I'm a sucker for a domed crystal and this one is no exception. It has a slight lip around the edge of the dome as well that creates some nifty visual effects in the dark. The dome of course creates nifty visual effects in any lighting. For the money, this one is really hard to beat.

The Orange Monster is a whole different beast. The styling is obviously unique and you'll either love it or hate it. I love it. The lume is fantastic. It is the brightest of all my divers and lasts through the night as well. The watch keeps great time; I'm sure it's within +/- 5 seconds/day though. I believe it was +2 the last time I checked it, but I cannot recall exactly. The bracelet is very light but has nice tolerances and is very comfortable. I don't really like the crown on this one. The crown's operation, winding, and screwing are my biggest knock on this piece. The crown is hard to grip and unscrew. It's also difficult to get the crown into the second position in order to chance the day and date. The crown always wants to pull all the way out instead of stopping at the second position. It usually takes me several tries to get it into second position. The winding is also not my favorite. There is almost no resistance or noise when winding the watch. The winding mechanism certainly works well, but it doesn't provide the feedback that I enjoy in most watches. I also don't like the bezel's rotating action. There is very little resistance between clicks. It's very easy to rotate too far. I also notice that this bezel will tend to move throughout the day. If I set it to 12 o'clock in the morning, it's common for me to look down during the day to see that the triangle has shifted several minutes without me intentionally moving it. The watch has a rugged appearance, and I'd really like it if the crown, winding, and bezel all felt as rugged and sure as the watch looks.

The Luminox is another completely different animal. I'm not particularly fond of it honestly. I bought it because I wanted a watch with the gas tubes to wear when hunting. I like the idea of being able to tell the time without having to worry about the lume being charged. Sometimes we leave the boat ramp at 1 AM to head into the woods to get to a timber hole for duck hunting. There are about 5 good hours there of solid darkness before the sun starts to come up, and I like not having to worry about charging lume when I have so many other things going on. The problem is that the watch is hard to read in the daylight since it's all black. I'll likely sell it and get a Ball with gas tubes or another Luminox model that has some color on the bezel, dial, hands, etc. The watch is very, very light. I have both the rubber strap and the poly bracelet. Both are pretty well done and compliment the watch nicely. The bezel action isn't the greatest. The pushers for the chrono are also not the most confidence-inspiring, though this one is a quartz watch so they naturally aren't going to feel as solid as a mechanical.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Incredible write-up @Sodium. Thank you for all the information on your divers!

Now onto the Hamilton. I received my Hamilton khaki field day/date watch today and upon opening the box noticed that it had to be wound so I gave it a full wind and proceeded to set the time, date and day. The sweeping motion of the second hand moves at 6 beats per second due to the same powermatic 80 movement found in the Tissot brand watches and others in the Swatch group's lineup. When comparing the fore mentioned movement to the smoother ETA movements of 8 ticks per second, the second hand is a bit jumpy but still has a very satisfying sweep. As a refresher, it was for this reason that I was apprehensive to purchase this watch. I am now so glad that I did because it really is very nice in person. So after winding the watch and setting the date and day, I forwarded the time, passing through the next day and set the time exactly to check for accuracy. I know this is not the most accurate barometer for checking an automatic watch but I have had this watch wound and keeping absolutely perfect time for almost exactly 7 hours while wearing it. It has not deviated by 1 second yet. I actually observed it at the turn of the day also and the day/date switched at 11:56pm. As far as the leather band goes it is soft along with it being a very nice color to compliment this watch. The outer part of the band is somewhat soft like suede. Overall I am very happy so far and here are some pictures for you all. Tell me what you think. For those curious, my wrist is 7 1/4 inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I checked the accuracy of this watch over the course of 2 days and it is within 2 seconds each 24 hour period. During these two days the watch had daily wrist time and sitting in a watch case over night on one initial wind. It was 2-3 seconds fast each day which I am very pleased with. Loving my first Hamilton.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts