WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,I really like the military toolish look of Hamilton Khaki mechanical field with the decent size of 38mm and the HW movement with the screw in crown. I found some controversial info regarding the size ( is it 38mm w/o the crown or not?) and the type of the crystal ( is it sapphire or mineral?). How is the lume like? Strong , nothing to fancy about or mediocre? Thank you guys!:-!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hi there,I really like the military toolish look of Hamilton Khaki mechanical field with the decent size of 38mm and the HW movement with the screw in crown. I found some controversial info regarding the size ( is it 38mm w/o the crown or not?) and the type of the crystal ( is it sapphire or mineral?). How is the lume like? Strong , nothing to fancy about or mediocre? Thank you guys!:-!
38 before crown; sapphire; Hamilton lume is between "nothing fancy" and "mediocre"; crown is push-in, not screw-down

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any possibility of lume shot and wrist shot as well? Thanks, chaps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If you like this watch, you might also have a look at Marathon offerings, many of which are issued to or can be requisitioned by military personnel...

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I have the Khaki Mechanical and love it. The movement is a work horse. The lume is OK, but I don't buy watches for the lume.
It's a great hand winder if you're looking for that

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It's an awesome watch - but you need to know that parts for these are sometimes made in China (e.g. the cases). Never heard of any other Hamiltons that have "Case made in China" stamped on the inside, but this one sometimes does. If you want one with more Swiss parts, you might have to consider the Khaki Field Auto.

http://www.timetechtalk.com/forum1/3247.html

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Haven't had to open mine up yet, but it says Swiss made on the case back ( outside), just like my Khaki auto.
Hamilton and many of the Swatch brands, and other brands, do get certain parts made from their facilities in the far east.
The movement is Swiss.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Haven't had to open mine up yet, but it says Swiss made on the case back ( outside), just like my Khaki auto.
Hamilton and many of the Swatch brands, and other brands, do get certain parts made from their facilities in the far east.
The movement is Swiss.
I don't own the watch but it was what kept me from buying it (went with the auto instead). I understand that hands, straps and the face are often made in Asia for SG watches, but the entire case is where I draw the line personally. The watch is definitely assembled in Switzerland and the movement is also Swiss, so it's a great watch. For me, it's just a question of principle.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Yeah, but that link that you provides has a poster saying the auto has a made in China case, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Yeah, but that link that you provides has a poster saying the auto has a made in China case, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.
Oops, didn't even see that one. Well, not nice.

EDIT: they're not talking about the 42mm 2009 model, but an older one from 2000. It definitely doesn't say anything about China inside mine.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It's an awesome watch - but you need to know that parts for these are sometimes made in China (e.g. the cases). Never heard of any other Hamiltons that have "Case made in China" stamped on the inside, but this one sometimes does. If you want one with more Swiss parts, you might have to consider the Khaki Field Auto.

Hamilton Watches - Time Talk - Time Tech Talk - TimeTechTalk.com
The movement is Swiss.
Swiss law controls the definition and use of the term "Swiss" on watches in its various iterations...

- A "Swiss watch" is watch whose movement is cased in Switzerland and then whose QA (for lack of a better term) takes place there.

- A "Swiss Made" watch has a "Swiss Movement" that is cased in Switzerland and whose QA takes place in Switzerland

- A "Swiss Watch Movement" has been assembled in Switzerland, inspected in Switzerland, and whose components are manufactured at least 50% in Switzerland (measured by cost of materials and manufacture, excluding cost of movement assembly)

- If you see a watch that says "Swiss Movement", "Swiss Quartz", or "Swiss Parts" the lines are going to be a bit more grey.

Definitions have been in place, with periodic updates, since the early 70s.

I would generally assume that any watch below (around) the $2000 mark is using a case, crown, stem, etc. made in China, Taiwan or elsewhere in Asia. If Hamilton is doing it so is the rest of SWATCH (Tissot, Longines, Omega, Rado, Mido, CK, etc.) and as SWATCH goes, so goes the industry. Just economics.

If it really bothers you Rolex famously still makes all of their components in Switzerland (just change "f357" at the top of your browser to "f23" ;-) ) there are 3 or 4 other high-end brands that do as well.

For me, my China made iPhone works well enough, and I've got a Spyderco Knife or two made in their Taiwanese factory which is generally considered the best origin for a knife from them (far exceeding what comes out of the Colorado factory). Probably a Seiko or 3 lying about here as well, just to keep the one currently on my wrist from getting lonely you understand...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If it really bothers you Rolex famously still makes all of their components in Switzerland (just change "f357" at the top of your browser to "f23" ;-) ) there are 3 or 4 other high-end brands that do as well.
I'm very much aware of the Swissness laws - and completely agree with you that most watches under 2000$ (and many above as well) contain parts made outside of Switzerland. However, I still won't buy watches that have "Made in China" stamped on or in them. It's a matter of national pride for me. If it doesn't say "Made in China", I can at least live in the illusion that it's not.

Also, I do have a Submariner and a Tudor Heritage Chrono (the latter still might contain some mechanical parts made outside of Switzerland, although that is unlikely. The NATO strap is made in France).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm very much aware of the Swissness laws - and completely agree with you that most watches under 2000$ (and many above as well) contain parts made outside of Switzerland. However, I still won't buy watches that have "Made in China" stamped on or in them. It's a matter of national pride for me. If it doesn't say "Made in China", I can at least live in the illusion that it's not.

Also, I do have a Submariner and a Tudor Heritage Chrono (the latter still might contain some mechanical parts made outside of Switzerland, although that is unlikely. The NATO strap is made in France).
Gyah! Weren't you going to add location to your profile for me? Until you do I'm never going to remember you're in Switzerland.

I understand the pride, especially when something has such a strong, world-wide association with a particular area.

Or even when not.

Many of "my fellow americans" staunchly buy only made-in-America even when it is absolutely apparent that the alternatives are far better. Many also refuse to acknowledge that their whatever has foreign parts or ownership. In parallel to your desire for illusion: I'm always amused by the only-buy-American who rapidly changes the topic when you point out the company that makes their Dodge truck is Fiat.

Unfortunately, plenty of Americans (and some of these conversations) just devolve into ignorant bigotry. The want of illusion I'm great with. The guy shouting into his perfectly wonderful Chinese made iPhone (to use my earlier example) about why would anyone want to buy a Chinese made piece-of-... anything and how he hates such-and-such a (large group of people) just makes me want to throttle him.

Besides, not everyone does know the rules and the Hamilton Mechanical is such a frequent topic that someone is going to come along and not know anything about what "Swiss Made" means. May as well have the information in one place.

·
Registered
539 Posts
hello guys from Greece! my wrist is 19,5cm... usually I wear 42+ watches... but I am looking for a military watch and I like a lot this hamilton... but is only 38... my question is I buy or not? I don't found this watch in real market to fit it... I am confused... what you say? :S

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
hello guys from Greece! my wrist is 19,5cm... usually I wear 42+ watches... but I am looking for a military watch and I like a lot this hamilton... but is only 38... my question is I buy or not? I don't found this watch in real market to fit it... I am confused... what you say? :S
Instead of the mechanical (hand winding) have you looked at the automatics? The dials are almost identical and they are available in a 42mm in both steel and titanium. There is also a 44mm mechanical that has a sub seconds at 9 instead of the center seconds hand, that one is a 44mm and a very neat looking piece if it fits you.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Gyah! Weren't you going to add location to your profile for me? Until you do I'm never going to remember you're in Switzerland.
I've put it my location now - sorry about that. Couldn't do it on the phone last week and forgot about it completely.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Instead of the mechanical (hand winding) have you looked at the automatics? The dials are almost identical and they are available in a 42mm in both steel and titanium. There is also a 44mm mechanical that has a sub seconds at 9 instead of the center seconds hand, that one is a 44mm and a very neat looking piece if it fits you.
Yes I know that but I want original "military" style watch for this reason I am looking for 38mm mechanical... I like it... just It is only 38mm... however, I am looking for precista prs5 but is rare watch and the price it has rocketed...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts