WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - long time since I last posted...

Anyway, I'm pretty much dead set on getting a Hamilton Khaki GMT Air Race (the orange leather strap model). Now, I know Hamilton have a decent reputation and I know the ETA movement isn't bad. I also love the way the watch looks...what I want to know from you lot is - at $480 is it, in your opinion, value for money?

I live in the UK so it's about £235 - which over here has not got a hope of getting a swiss automatic movement, well, certainly not a new one!

Any opinions will be appreciated - this is the first brand new watch I'll ever have bought and I'll probably be selling my 1986 Omega Seamaster Quartz, 1971 Bulova Seaking and mid-sixties Oris to fund it. :)

Cheers!

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
That sounds like a great deal. I purchased a Hamiliton Khaki on rubber strap a month ago - quartz version. $259. I love it. I haven't seen the Hamilton Khaki Navy GMT Air Race for less than $520. So, $480 sounds solid.

I just hate to hear you have to sell those other timepieces.:-( Whatever you do, enjoy your new acquisition. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have one on the way from Singapore through eBay, $405 plus shipping. I'll give my opinion when I get it. This will be my 4th Hamilton. I think they are great Watches for what they cost.:-!

·
Registered
34 Posts

I live in the UK so it's about £235 - which over here has not got a hope of getting a swiss automatic movement, well, certainly not a new one!
Eddie Platts at Timefactors in Sheffield will be quite happy to sell you a new watch with a Swiss ETA automatic movement for less than £200. The PRS-18A is £180. No GMT though. No hassle with import VAT either, and he'll have it courier delivered to you the next business day, usually.
http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

Cheers.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Really nice watch. In fact having a look round for one at the moment and found this ebay seller with one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HAMILTON-KHAKI-NAVY-AIR-RACE-GMT-AUTOMATIC-WR-WATCH_W0QQitemZ280175570793QQihZ018QQcategoryZ31387QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Think the seller is known on here?
One thing though, are all the auto Hamiltons genuine 'swiss made' I thought I had read that some are assembled in the far east. Can I know which this actually is?

Andrew

I've never bought from that seller. I got mine from timeparadise for $401.51.

All of my four Hamilton's are swiss made.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Anyway, I'm pretty much dead set on getting a Hamilton Khaki GMT Air Race (the orange leather strap model). Now, I know Hamilton have a decent reputation and I know the ETA movement isn't bad. I also love the way the watch looks...what I want to know from you lot is - at $480 is it, in your opinion, value for money?

Any opinions will be appreciated - this is the first brand new watch I'll ever have bought and I'll probably be selling my 1986 Omega Seamaster Quartz, 1971 Bulova Seaking and mid-sixties Oris to fund it. :)

Cheers!
====

[Edit: Please refer to sales forum if you would like to sell a watch :-!]

Craig

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi,

I have a few questions about this watch if anyone can help?

Does the second hand 'sweep' or 'tick'?

Also, where did you manage to find it for $480? I cant find it under $500.

I'm also in the UK so am looking to make the most of the currency conversion!

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Hi,

I have a few questions about this watch if anyone can help?

Does the second hand 'sweep' or 'tick'?

Also, where did you manage to find it for $480? I cant find it under $500.

I'm also in the UK so am looking to make the most of the currency conversion!

Thanks,
Tom

The seconds hand trickles around around the dial like all mechanicals and does'nt jump in one second steps like a quartz does.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks for that!

I'm a bit of a watch novice really and this will be my first automatic!

How is the lume on the watch? Is it any good?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The Air Race is a great watch, if not visually appealing to everyone with it's bright color combo. For me, the Hammy orange makes it.

@ Inkmonkey, $480 is a great price, probably the second lowest I've seen since my hunt ended with the one below. If you can pull one at that price, I'd say go for it.

A small quip, which is more me than the watch. When setting the date, I often move the crown in the wrong direction, thus jumping the second time zone hour wheel. Not a huge deal but just one of those things. Love the countdown inner bezel, so useful.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts