WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am look at 2 different watches - the Hamilton khaki king and Victorinx airboss black edition - and am a bit indecisive about which one to get.
Does anybody know which was is better and/or which one they would recommend.

Kind regards Matthew

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Love the Hamilton Khaki King.
I'd prefer the Airboss black edition ;-)

That said, I can't justify the purchase because I have one of the non-black-editions. They're really nice watches for the price. Note that the red is printed on the underside of the crystal on the Airboss Black, which is (IMHO) a nice touch.

That's not to say that the Khaki King isn't a great watch. I just prefer the VSA. If I were to get one of the Hamiltons, I'd prefer one with a 3:00 date. Keep in mind that the Airboss has fairly long lugs for a 42mm watch. If you're iffy on size, the Hammy is going to "wear smaller." The VSA isn't huge by any means, but if you have a smaller wrist, it might help to try one (any Airboss version) on for size.

·
Registered
355 Posts
+1 on the VSA Airboss size wearing slightly large - this was the first thing that surprised me a bit about the watch when I eyed it in person and laid it across the wrist.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
51mm lug to lug is more typical of a ~44mm watch than a 42mm watch.

I like the look, but YMMV. It's not a huge watch by any stretch but it's always something to take into consideration. I'd say it's an outlier on the "40-42mm is safe for every wrist size" theory.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Hamilton!
I love my champagne dial Khaki King, but I can see that it's not for everyone. (it's a strap-o-maniac, however ... currently have it on perlon)
I also have a black dial Khaki Field Day/Date, which looks less vintage, cleaner, and its dimensions are closer to the Air Boss. There is also a PVD model that looks pretty sharp.
It's true that Hamilton is now just a label of the Swatch Group, but that label represents a deep and important horological history, including ties to the American railways, the US Army and Navy, and to Hollywood, and also to some serious innovation.
Based on the specs, I don't see how you can go wrong in terms of quality. Which is why I come back to the brand's legacy.
Does anyone know how the customer service/warranty compares?
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts