WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1960s Hamilton Masterpiece, manual wind with 22 jewel 770 movement. How long should it run when wound? It winds up pretty quickly (around 10 turns of the crown) so just curious.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a couple of sources that say 45 hours - does that sound right? I guess that means I'll need to wind it once a day to be on the safe side as it won't quite go two days.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes - 45 hours is right bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Hamilton 770

But that was for a new watch - you would expect somewhat less from an old watch unless properly serviced and with a new mainspring. In any event, its better to wind it every day for more consistent timekeeping. This thread covers a lot of the issues: https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/didnt-realise-you-had-wind-so-often-394687.html

Folks in here would like to see pictures of your watch.:)
Thanks for the info. Here's a picture of the watch. It's in pretty good shape considering its age.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Say, Hamilton experts - and sorry if the answer is obvious - I'm still learning about this brand - why is OP's watch not a Parker B? Is the Masterpiece a related model?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Hi Marrick,

But that was for a new watch - you would expect somewhat less from an old watch unless properly serviced and with a new mainspring.
Thats only a part of the truth, and since many old watches are worn out or poorly serviced,
people believe it is the whole truth.

Generally power reserve is a matter of geometry: When fully wound, the spring is turned tight
around the center arbor, and when unwound it rests tightly on the periphery of the barrel.
So a tired spring will give the same number of revolutions as a fresh on.

Only if balance, gears and spring are down, the watch will stop before the spring is completely
unwound. Of course, one or another hour less may happen, but if it is more, it is high time to
visit the watch maker.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Say, Hamilton experts - and sorry if the answer is obvious - I'm still learning about this brand - why is OP's watch not a Parker B? Is the Masterpiece a related model?
From what I understand, Masterpiece was a label Hamilton used on a variety of watches. The common thread with Masterpieces was they were made for the corporate market, so a high percentage are engraved as service awards, retirement gifts etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts