Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Tissot

Votes: 2 11.1%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a Hammy forum, so I guess results might be biased.

Just wondering which brand overall people preferred. I own a Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date automatic, but thinking about picking up a Tissot Heritage Visodate.

In my opinion, both are equally worthy Swiss brands. But just wondering if one appeals more than the other, and why...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am new to Hamilton ownership (being a Seiko guy, personally) and I have never owned a Tissot so take my opinion with a few grains of salt. I choose Hamilton for the following reasons:

Hamilton watches overall have much better designs than Tissot. Most Tissot watches I've browsed appeared busy, unappealing, and in some cases, downright ugly. Most Hamilton watches I've seen, on the other hand, are classic and unassuming (exception: Ventura, ugh). Simple, good-looking designs which will endure for years. I love the look of the Khaki line - it is a perfect tool watch, imo. Likewise, I also really like the Jazzmaster and other dressy offerings. To me, there is no comparison - not even a close one.

Next, lineage, innovation, history, etc. Tissot is older than Hamilton by a few decades. I am no watch history expert, but I have always been much more familiar with the Hamilton brand than Tissot. Hamilton seems to possess a larger history of innovation than Tissot. Hamilton also has a good name in pocket watches and from the start they have been involved in building very accurate timepieces. I'm sure Tissot has achieved their fair share but to a newb like me Hamilton stands out by name.

Lastly, Hamilton apparently began in Lancaster, PA. I live in Chester County which borders Lancaster County, so this is a personal bit of history for me. I like to support things which are local - the closer to where I live, the better. Granted, the brand is now owned by Swatch and I believe their HQ is in Switzerland. From a company perspective Hamilton is probably totally different than where it started and it can barely be associated with Lancaster anymore. But that counts for me.

So, those are the three criteria I have based my decision on. Like I warned up front, I am not a watch expert, I am not a Hamilton expert, and I am not a Tissot expert. Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about either brand since I just became interested in Hamilton and bought my first watch from that company a little over a week ago. But I've browsed both brands in the past, as they are part of the typical "budget Swiss" circuit someone who doesn't have a ton of money would consider when buying a new watch. I think either company is totally reputable and you won't make a mistake with either - it comes down to some personal preferences which only you can answer.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,045 Posts
Except for the proximity to PA USA, I echo europeendless' observations (I live in sunny CA USA). The first wristwatches I began collecting were Hamiltons (back in 1986...geez I'm old). I do think today they are of equal quality, but I gravitate towards Hamilton's (overall) more traditional design.
Either would be an excellent choice for the money. Just a matter of choosing the design you like!

·
Registered
196 Posts
both are solid, no frills watches. I find case finishing to be similar, dials to go very slightly to tissot (at least what i've seen), but the strap on the hamilton is way better.

very comparable, pick the design you prefer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A few weeks ago I tried on the Vissodate at the mall. My first impression was nice watch but nothing special.

I then saw an Intra-matic at Macy's and it grabbed my attention like the Vissodate didn't.

Ended up getting the Intra-matic from the sales forum.

I also appreciated the history of Hamilton starting in the U.S., as well as the Intra-matic is an homage to an earlier Hamilton watch.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It just depends on the type of watch you want, and what you find preferential. If I wanted a chronograph with a 7750 I'd order a Hamilton (or a Mido), because I think they look better. If I wanted a chronometer with an 80 hr power reserve I'd order a Tissot (or a Certina). I really don't see a great deal of difference between the quality of each companies products at equal price points as with all the mid-priced Swatch Group companies.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
There are watches I like from both brands, but I like a whole lot more Hamilton's than Tissot's. This is probably because Hamilton has a more conservative traditional look, and that's the style of watch I like.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
A few weeks ago I tried on the Vissodate at the mall. My first impression was nice watch but nothing special.

I then saw an Intra-matic at Macy's and it grabbed my attention like the Vissodate didn't.

Ended up getting the Intra-matic from the sales forum.

I also appreciated the history of Hamilton starting in the U.S., as well as the Intra-matic is an homage to an earlier Hamilton watch.
I had a similar experience but I decided to save up for the Intra-matic, didn't have the money to buy.

Scratched the visodate off my list, even the thin-o-matic is nicer tban the viso in my opinion. Viso looks better in pics than real life

1 - 8 of 8 Posts