WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn, just left jewelers hear in Atlanta totally depressed. Have an early Hamilton 703 chronometer and he said "the engine is good but the chassis is bad". That he could not get parts for the winding mechanisms on the right side of the watch, that they we smashed in and more than likely crushed the springs and bent the shafts...(clearly I'm not a watch technical guy) The jeweler came highly recommended and I trust his judgement. He recommended selling it for parts or finding another one with a good "chassis" and swapping "engines". Are there any other options out there??? Was really looking forward to getting this running and wearing it, love the history and vintage.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

Atlanta

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The jeweler came highly recommended and I trust his judgement. He recommended selling it for parts or finding another one with a good "chassis" and swapping "engines". Are there any other options out there???
No idea what you mean by other options, or maybe I'm just missing something in your post:

You trust his judgement that it can't be repaired as is, so his options for you are sell it or find the additional pieces to repair it. Other than getting a second opinion that sounds like a pretty exhaustive list.

I guess you could go with one of the new Pan Europ chronos, but it really isn't the same thing for someone who owns and is in love with one of the originals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks copper, I'm just depressed over the news, I was just hoping that there was a miracle worker out there in the watch world that maybe specialized in this watch and would have access to spare parts. Finding a good "chassis" seems like a daunting task, if not impossible.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Thanks copper, I'm just depressed over the news, I was just hoping that there was a miracle worker out there in the watch world that maybe specialized in this watch and would have access to spare parts. Finding a good "chassis" seems like a daunting task, if not impossible.
Ah.

Don't know about a miracle worker, but try broadening your scope. The Caliber 11 (think it's an 11) is not unique to your Pan Europ. Not only was it used in other Hamiltons, it was also Huers and Brietlings (though Hamiltons will probably be less expensive). A great article on this history of the movement can be found here: Project 99 -- Parts One and Two and it also shows some of the other models it was used in. After that it is eBay and patience.

Best of luck, it's an amazing piece.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can't thank you enough for the tip. I will contact Craig and see what he says. Just hoping my sentimentality doesn't get the best of me or my pocket book but I really want to salvage this piece, it's just too cool. Thank you again tinknocker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
n-theory, appreciate the interest. Current status is Craig has put me on the wait list and tentatively I am scheduled for assessment late December. As stated above, my engine is fine. it's the chassis that needs the attention. By most reports and impressions from our communications, Craig is good at what he does. I'll try to update when things change but certainly stay in touch.

703.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats and fingers crossed for a great result for you. I've found a couple 703s but at sky high prices. I got a great deal on a 2011 Blue Dial Pan Europ Limited Edition. I'm quite pleased and hope it'll tide me over until I find the genuine article at a price I can afford.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, here it is. Just got it back from Chronodeco, whom by the way was very professional and patient with over 20 email volleys. I think he did a fantastic job--you be the judge. He serviced it, got it fully functioning and replaced the crystal. As you can see I have all the original packaging and tags--just not the original ban. Will be interested in the reaction, there is some pitting on the back which I'm told I can't do anything about. Thanks to all for steering me in the right direction--after being told locally this beauty was a lost cause---a little piece of history saved. Hamilton Pan-Europ 703.jpg

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Looks great. Be careful with that type of band, they have a tendency to grind the inside of the lugs.
If you like that type of bracelet, look for one that doesn't have the springy end links to fit different size lug widths. Look for one that is the right fit.
I bought a JB Champion NOS from this guy for my 68 Hamilton. I thought the expansion would go well with it. They're not cheap but they are quality.
19mm, 18mm items in Vintage Watch Band store on eBay!

Here's mine, 1950's NOS

Reactions: ChiefWahoo

·
Registered
4,717 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Well, here it is. Just got it back from Chronodeco, whom by the way was very professional and patient with over 20 email volleys. I think he did a fantastic job--you be the judge. He serviced it, got it fully functioning and replaced the crystal. As you can see I have all the original packaging and tags--just not the original ban. Will be interested in the reaction, there is some pitting on the back which I'm told I can't do anything about. Thanks to all for steering me in the right direction--after being told locally this beauty was a lost cause---a little piece of history saved. View attachment 6989690
Super stuff. Way to hang in there and see it through!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts