WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I will tell you right off that I am a newbie.My grandfather passed when I was 6 yo, and left a Hamilton pocketwatch to my dad.My dad came over yesterday, and passed it to me, now that I am 37 and responsible enough to have and appreciate it now.I find it very interesting, and want to know more, but can't find any other exactly like it,so here I am.

Heres what I know about it.
The internals are from Hamilton watch co.
Its a Hamilton railway special face
It's a 992B, lever set
It has 21 jewels
Open face
Size 16
Adj. temp and 6 positions.
Serial C228898, from 1947 or 48 I believe

The case is from "Star watch case co."
12 kt gold filled
6645092 is stamped inside back cover

What interests me is in the top of the front, under the winder, it is stamped
"Elgin R.R."
Could this have actually been used on the elgin railway, before its demise in 1961?

Any info is greatly appreciated.I'd be interested in the value, although I would never part with such a gift.I hope the below pics are good enough, if there are more needed, just let me know!
Thanks everyone!!!! Mike in Maine

:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I think you already have about as much information as I can give you as far as identification goes.
We don't do valuations here, please read our sticky note for reasons why.
However it doesn't get much better than this when it comes to pocket watches. The 992B was Hamilton's finest "modern" pocket watch and quite likely could have been in railroad service.
I had one my grandfather bought in 1950, and I passed it to my son-in-law when he married my daughter. He's the 4th generation to own it now.
Get it serviced if you haven't already as it is a great watch and you want it to last to pass it on to your grandchildren.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response.I do love this watch, I have to say.My father had it serviced awhile back, and it has been in a ziplock bag since then.It runs like a top.I guess what gets me is the "Elgin r.r." stamped into the top of it.It would be more interesting to me to know it was actually used for its intended purpose, and wasn't just called a railroad watch, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
It might be simply a Star watch case that was designed for an Elgin railroad watch and then used to case a Hamilton. The two watches were interchangeable in a particular case and maybe the jeweler had it in stock when the Hamilton was purchased. Or maybe it was an older Elgin case that got a new Hamilton movement. We'll never know unless you have the provenance of the watch.
Railroads did have loaner watches to give to employees while one's personal watch was under repair, but normally the engineer or conductor had to supply his own watch as a condition of employment. I don't see a reason to stamp the name of the railroad on such a watch as it would not be that company's property.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts