WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Hamilton is in the Swatch group with Omega and some other names, just wondering if there is a big difference in the quartz movements between the 2 brands? Or do they use the same quartz movements in both?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question. Forgive me for getting a little off-topic, but my quartz Khaki King Scuba is uncannily accurate. It's a day-date, and I sometimes have to reset the day and/or date, but the seconds hand is always spot on. My two Rolex watches run about -2, and a Citizen EcoDrive probably runs +2. I don't think that the Swiss quartz movement in my Hamilton has temperature compensation, etc., but I'd sure like to know more about it.
-Ken
Hamilton wrist computer flash.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
It depends on which watches you're comparing. On the websites it usually lists which Quartz movement they use. Usually it's ETA XXXXX or something along those lines. You could go through and compare.

Likely very similar movements.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H64611535-Khaki-Pilot-Black/dp/B0043RWFO0

"ETA caliber 955.422"

Google didn't result in any hits for Omega's with the same movement. It's kind of a joke though. You can buy the movement online for $30 lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good to know if the watch starts behaving erratically, just get a new movement - cheaper than the price of a Casio. BTW, I just noticed that my seconds hand is ticking about every 4 seconds. Time for a battery change. Good excuse to visit the local Hamilton AD to see what's new.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Good to know if the watch starts behaving erratically, just get a new movement - cheaper than the price of a Casio. BTW, I just noticed that my seconds hand is ticking about every 4 seconds. Time for a battery change. Good excuse to visit the local Hamilton AD to see what's new.

For what it's worth the second hand in my Bond Seamaster does that too so the movements probably are very similar.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
For what it's worth the second hand in my Bond Seamaster does that too so the movements probably are very similar.....
Good to know that my Hamilton might be in the same league as your Seamaster. BTW, my local Hamilton AD replaced the battery without charge. Great to have a relationship with an AD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The quartz version in Hamilton/Cooper/Interstellar watch has a pretty good ETA quartz inside. ETA has 4 quartz lines. 'Fasion' (""lowest"") quality,then the 'Trend' line, 'Normaflat' line (that's were the game gets serious) and a forth top or 'high-end' quartz product line which I cant remember its name. Hamilton in the $500-$1000 range use >>Normaflat line<< movements. Which is quite good in my opinion.... to give you a comparison ... Certina, Tissot watches in the same price range often use Trend or even Fashion line ETAs (2-3 jewel max, may or may not have Preci or Heavy drive tech). While in the Normaflat line Precidrive or Heavydrive technology (either of them or both!) are already incorporated. So not to worry. You get a solid, very decent quartz movement in Hamiltons in the $500-1000 range.... You wanna know something utter bollocks? :) TAG-heuers Aquaracer quartz ($1400+) has a ****ty $30 Trend line movement in them ... but brands like Alpina also use crappy quartz movements too yet they sell you the watch for $700... Some seriously dodgy stuff going on with some famous brands hence I respect Hamilton also Longines that they at put minimum '7 jewels' Normaflat ETAs in their watches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts