WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received this beauty as a present from a relative.based on family history I am guessing 30s or 40s vintage. Anyone more knowledgeable have any insight on make, value and, or production year? Engraved 10 k gold model with working second had separate subdial. All cleaned good working order! Just looking for Any kind advice on origins and history, will hold this lovely.

thanks. CTK, Texas

Attachments

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
The serial number dates to approximately 1920. I can not read the calibre (model) on the movement but it is a good one based on the adjustment level.

The case is most likely two 10kt thin sheets of gold sandwiching a plate of brass but pics of the hallmarks on the inside caseback would give good clues.

I hope that helps.

It is a very nice piece. Thanks for sharing and welcome to WUS!

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
That is a 992, one of the classic 21j railroad grade movements.

I suspect that the case may be a bit newer than the movement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much! I am going to do more research on the Hamilton 992. Appreciate it!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You gents were spot on, it is a Hamilton 21 jewel, model 992, says Double Roller. The case back does say 10k plated, and reads "Keystone Watch case". Works well when wound, recently serviced.

i assume my most important steps are not to over wind, keep it clean and oiled, and wind it every now and again. Any maintenance tips also greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
You gents were spot on, it is a Hamilton 21 jewel, model 992, says Double Roller. The case back does say 10k plated, and reads "Keystone Watch case". Works well when wound, recently serviced.

i assume my most important steps are not to over wind, keep it clean and oiled, and wind it every now and again. Any maintenance tips also greatly appreciated.
If you are going to wear it (and there is no reason not to... it is fine watch that will keep as good time as modern watches) then get a chain. These watches mostly die because they get dropped.

Don't worry about overwinding. You will know when it is fully wound. You will notice a pronounced difference in the winding effort and will have to get a pair of pliers to keep winding it -- which you obviously should NOT do! :-d

Service it every five to seven years or when you notice it no longer keeps good time.

And enjoy it! It is a functional heirloom!!

Reactions: Paleotime
1 - 6 of 6 Posts