WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm very interested in getting a Hamilton kaki field chrono probably through ebay. These ebay stores appear not to have Hamilton gaurantees but rather their own warranty (typically 2 years) in which case they send the watch out to Hamilton if their is a manufacturers fault. Does this sound cool? It makes me a little apprehensive however but the watchs are about 1/2 of what they typically are at authourized dealers. They do appear to be real Hamiltons. Anyone have some wisdom on this? There is I beleive a legal difference between a warranty and a gaurantee.
Also, I'm a big fan of screw down crowns. Its about the only thing lacking on this watch in my opinion. Does anyone know whether the crown can easily (by accident) be pulled out and if so how water proof is the watch if this happens.
Looking forward to some input, thanks

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
A gray market dealer is selling the real thing but they probably have their own service department to do the warranty work. You would not be able to get warranty work done at an authorized dealer.
If you don't mind returning the watch to the online dealer if something goes wrong, it'll probably be OK to buy gray market. The more expensive the watch, the less appealing this sort of stuff is, in my view anyway.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a couple of Hammy field khaki's and I've never had a problem accidentally pulling out the crown. My father has a solid gold Hammy circa 1940 or so, and I don't think he's had any problems...although he's never let me close enough to the thing to tell ;)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Also, I'm a big fan of screw down crowns. Its about the only thing lacking on this watch in my opinion. Does anyone know whether the crown can easily (by accident) be pulled out and if so how water proof is the watch if this happens.
I've owned over a couple dozen watches and I've never had one in which I can say the crown "can be easily (by accident) be pulled out."
My Sinn 356 uses the same movement as the Hammy (7750) and I can't see how the crown can go from the first stop to the time setting position unless it is deliberately pulled on. However, the 356 does have a screw down crown.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I used to own an Aviation Chrono with the 7750 and it didn't have a screw down crown. Never had any problems with the crown coming out. The watch is not "waterproof" at all if the crown is out. In fact, no watch is "waterproof" but that's for another day. Don't be afraid.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Ray summed it up well. Its very unlikely that they will be sending it to Hamilton for repairs. They give you their own warranty which means that they get it fixed on their own, which is the equivalent to the cheapest way they can. I dont know how many in-house parts go into a hamilton, but you may very well end up with non-oem parts in your watch after they do a repair. That said though, if its not that expensive of a watch, its really not that big of a deal. The more money is costs, the more wary of gray market you should be.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
My father has a solid gold Hammy circa 1940 or so, and I don't think he's had any problems...although he's never let me close enough to the thing to tell ;)
You won't want to take a bath with a 1940 solid gold Hamilton. No water resistance at all...great watch though. :-!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.