WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I love the looks of my new X-Wind, but it has it's flaws.

I can forgive the next to useless complication, but the lack of legibility is a real problem for me. I find it takes me several seconds to read at the best of times, and when those silver hands are over the silver sub-dials I end up squinting at it like I'm trying to read the small print of an ingredient label in a poorly lit kitchen.

I feel like replacement hands or even just a repaint of the original ones would make a world of difference.

I've tried to Google "Hamilton X-Wind mod" but nothing comes up. Surely I can't be the only person who's thought this!

Does anyone else have experience of modding the X-Wind? Are there some recommended hands that would suit it? Actually I've never owned a modded watch - is it possible / advisable to get the stock ones repainted?

I've done a quick and dirty Photoshop of it with red hands. What do you think?

red hands.jpg

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You might reach out to Motorcity watch works, they offer a host of services and reprinting the hands likely wouldn't cost more than $20-30(rough guess).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might reach out to Motorcity watch works, they offer a host of services and reprinting the hands likely wouldn't cost more than $20-30(rough guess).
Thanks, I'll check them out tomorrow. I'm in the Netherlands - can anyone recommend somewhere in Europe that could do this?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to Jay of motor city (really nice guy) but sadly he doesn't have hands for the 7750 movement.

Does anyone know where I might have more luck either with replacement hands or painting the original ones (preferably in Europe)?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard back from Maxtime. The price for the red and black lacquered hands is €40 plus €6 for delivery.

I've made a mockup to get an idea of how they would look. I think the second and minute hands might be too long - it's hard to tell if I've got the scale right.

And although they would probably make it readable at a glance, I'm not sure they fit the look of the watch.

What do you guys think?

hamilton hands.jpg

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I heard back from Maxtime. The price for the red and black lacquered hands is €40 plus €6 for delivery.

I've made a mockup to get an idea of how they would look. I think the second and minute hands might be too long - it's hard to tell if I've got the scale right.

And although they would probably make it readable at a glance, I'm not sure they fit the look of the watch.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 5486641
I think the visibility will be affected, but based on the renders I think it's worth it. Looks really good.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the visibility will be affected, but based on the renders I think it's worth it. Looks really good.
I'm trying to improve the visibility. When the stock hands go over the silver sub dials it's hard to read.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think the replacement hands are a smarter idea than paint, but I think I'd continue searching. There have been modded Hamilton 7750 chronos on here in the past (not specifically x-winds) if you run a few more searches. Try giving google the site:watchuseek.com and then adding in Hamilton mod or whatever. Tends to work a little smoother than the forums own search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the replacement hands are a smarter idea than paint
Yeah, me too. It'd be nice to be able to go back to stock.

There have been modded Hamilton 7750 chronos on here in the past (not specifically x-winds) if you run a few more searches. Try giving google the site:watchuseek.com ...
Thanks for the tip :)
I searched for ages for modded X-Wind's but didn't find any. It didn't occur to me to look at other Hammys with similar movements. I've already found a couple.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I recall this being a minor concern when I sold my first X-wind a year ago, but having reacquired one recently, it does not seem to be an issue. Compared to some other watches I've owned (including the white X-wind with chrome hands), this seems quite legible. It's rare that the whole hand is over a silver subdial.
If you do make a change, though, I like the idea of new hands just for something different. The painted hands are a little too much red for my taste.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I'm still debating this. I've put it on a darker strap though and strangely that seems to have improved matters. I'm going to take my time and see if an interesting set of hands present themselves.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And now that I'm safely on the train, here's a pic of the new strap. This makes the whole dial seem darker and oddly easier to read. It really tones down the "busyness" to my eyes.

uploadfromtaptalk1444111522848.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts