WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a pocket watch that he recieved many years ago. It is marked Hampden Watch Co. on the face. I unscrewed the back and it shows a S/N of 2757707, Dueber Grand and "adjusted" on the movement. There are other serial numbers on the case. It also has some kind of design on the back cover.
It does work, but it seems to lose about 9 minutes in 29 hours. As far as my dad knows it has never been cleaned.
With that said, can someone give me more info on this watch and is it a watch that is popular to buy? In other words, can my dad get any money for it?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
According to the new online Hampden serial number database it is a 12S 17 jewel open face movement made in 1908.
We don't give valuations in this forum for reasons outlined in our sticky notes.
It would have been a fairly nice movement in its time, but not exceptional. A good watch for a businessman, but not a railroad grade model.
Most collectors of pocket watches from this era are looking for larger sizes such as 16S or 18S, or they want to buy railroad grade. As a result I suspect it would cost as much to get the watch serviced and restored as it is worth on the market.
A quick check of available 12S Hampden's on eBay confirmed my suspicions.
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Could you possibly give me the link to the Hampden online watch database. I didn't know they had one yet. Thank you.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thank you Ray. This will help greatly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts