WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the beloved owner of Watchuseek, Ernie Romers sees more watches in a week than most of us have minutes in the day. So he asked his daughter Nikki to take pictures of the new Christopher Ward C8 Mark II Vintage Pilot's watch and for me to comment on it. So here goes.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory

Packaging: Well, no one's going to get too excited about the watch box, it's functional but it's not really going to set the world alight is it? On the other hand, while it would have been cool to see a WWII pilot's packaging concept, the point about CW is that they focus on the quality and finish of the watch and not the fancy peripherals which add surprisingly mightily to the production costs.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

Dial: No doubt about it, this is a vintage pilot's watch with a crisp military look. The 44mm black dial features vintage style orange coloured Arabic numerals and indices, together with Old Radium Super Luminova. The porthole shaped black disc date aperture is also a neat touch. Not quite as sexy as the Bell & Ross WW1-92 Collection, but then think of the savings.

Watch Metal Fashion accessory

Crown: Large onion crown for those times when you have your pilot's gloves on and you quickly need to adjust your time zone.

Orange Watch Strap Watch accessory Analog watch

Strap and clasp: CW have managed to nail the correct colour of tan leather on the strap to the antique numerals and indices on the dial, so the combination sings. I believe like the Bell & Ross WWI-92 Vintage the strap is designed to form a patina over time to give it even more of a retro and worn look. Works great with casual clothes including black and blue denim.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

See-through caseback: The see-through case back gives a little sneak peek at the Selitta SW200-1 movement. A nice quality touch.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Hands on: It looks very handsome and at US$500 to US$600 it's another Christopher Ward triumph in delivering quality on a budget. Many on WUS would prefer the Stowa Flieger B Uhr, which costs a little more at $665, but is manufactured by one of the 5 original companies commissioned to make German pilot's watches in WWII. But if Ernie forgets to send this back to CW, I'll happily take it off his hands.

·
Premium Member
40,781 Posts
I have this watch and it is one of my favorites. Wears great, gets lots of compliments, and is just different enough to stand out. The quality and workmanship is outstanding for the price. Nice review.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Christopher Ward is one of the better makers out there and this watch is proof once more.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I think CW watches are a terrific value, but they all have that darn date window. Would look better without the date window altogether.

Also, a Stowa Flieger costs more than $665 USD. Maybe you're not including the shipping charge, which brings it to about $728 delivered right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.