WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any suggestions for a good tool that is suitable for removing the hands from a Vimpel type 2209 slim watch? Or maybe just some tips.

I have one of these, and it just doesn't seem slim enough to get under the hour hand!

1.jpg

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
This is probably not the approved method but I will use a small screwdriver from time to time to gently lever the hands up far enough to use the removal tool. Be sure to use dial face protection and gentle levering all the way around. They do make hand levering tools which would probably do a better job but, for some reason, they are expensive.

Patience and good luck!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is probably not the approved method but I will use a small screwdriver from time to time to gently lever the hands up far enough to use the removal tool. Be sure to use dial face protection and gentle levering all the way around. They do make hand levering tools which would probably do a better job but, for some reason, they are expensive.

Patience and good luck!
Many thanks for that tip schnurrp. My word you need a steady hand (and nerve) to undertake watch dismantling! My full respect to anyone who enjoys success at this.

I have now created my little work area complete with (I think) most things I need. I 'let down' my first mainspring and removed my first crown stem last night! Please don't laugh at the beginner, hey folks?! And be ready for more, no doubt stupid questions!

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Many thanks for that tip schnurrp. My word you need a steady hand (and nerve) to undertake watch dismantling! My full respect to anyone who enjoys success at this.

I have now created my little work area complete with (I think) most things I need. I 'let down' my first mainspring and removed my first crown stem last night! Please don't laugh at the beginner, hey folks?! And be ready for more, no doubt stupid questions!
Two essential steps, Tarquin! Nerves are definitely a consideration the first few times! It will get better with success.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I took a swiss file to thin down the hand lifters. I have 12 years experience as a machinist so it was not problem for me. Your results may vary. Go slow and check your work so you don't remove too much material. Dan

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a swiss file to thin down the hand lifters. I have 12 years experience as a machinist so it was not problem for me. Your results may vary. Go slow and check your work so you don't remove too much material. Dan
Interesting, cheers. I will bear that one in mind as a possibility!

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
My watchmaker who is definitely the old-school type, never uses the modern hand-puller we are familiar with, but the old-fashioned tiny crowbars: they are really crowbars in effect but have highly-polished rounded bottoms, and they never scratch dials. But then few have the coolness required when using them nowadays, apparently.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My watchmaker who is definitely the old-school type, never uses the modern hand-puller we are familiar with, but the old-fashioned tiny crowbars: they are really crowbars in effect but have highly-polished rounded bottoms, and they never scratch dials. But then few have the coolness required when using them nowadays, apparently.
Thanks Seele, I took these off with screwdrivers in the end, i'd be interested to see these crowbars of which you speak. Do you know of a link?

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Thanks Seele, I took these off with screwdrivers in the end, i'd be interested to see these crowbars of which you speak. Do you know of a link?
I have not seen those "crowbars" available these days; he must have bought them when he was studying to be a watchmaker, some of his tools are quite vintage!

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Hand levers are readily available at all the watchmaking tool companies and on ebay. Here's a set from Esslinger: Watch Tool Hand Levers - Watch Back Tools | Esslinger & Co

Only problem as I mentioned above is that they are expensive!

I guess to use them properly you would have to be able to coordinate left and right hand manipulation at the same time. I would still recommend using dial protection.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Well spotted, Schnurrp! They do look quite different from the pair my watchmaker uses as their working ends are much smaller, thus giving a bit less upward movement when used.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Designs vary but principle remains the same. You can usually find an old pair on ebay if you're patient by searching "watchmaking tools - used".

Got this vintage LG watch wrench there at a fraction of the cost of a new one of comparable quality. A little cleaning and oiling and voila! No play whatsoeverr in any of the mechanism. Replaced my dividers that finally gave out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I would imagine that a pair of "crowbars" could be made from two cheap watchmaking screwdrivers, simply by bending the tips of them (you may need to heat them in a gas flame to make the metal bend without snapping). Then polish the "heels" of the crowbars, and use dial protection as well.

I normally use a regular hand puller, but have used screwdrivers on occassion. It's not difficult, as long as you apply force only to the hand's "collar", and not to the shaft or tail.

P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts