·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do you prefer?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I haven't yet bought my first mechanical so I shouldn't even be in this thread, but I voted automatic. You can hand-wind them if you want, but you don't have to. I can get behind a design that allows that kind of laziness.

D.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have one auto, but I only wear it on weekends so I have to wind it anyway.:roll:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I love to wind my watches, I do it all the time so I vote for automatic because you cannot overwind them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Handwinding - dunno why but this makes me feel more with the watches. love to wind my watches daily.

Both my watches are HW.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Quartz. For mechanical I like wind-ups. Don't own an automatic and don't plan to get one.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Over the years I've had the opportunity to handle both, and I'd have to say I most like the idea of an automatic that also allows handwinding. If push came to shove and I had to choose only one, I'd probably go with a handwinder...it's less complicated and should be easier to service when needed.

Mike

·
Registered
780 Posts
Everything else being equal, I think I have a slight preference for hand-wound watches. I like their simplicity and robustness. However if I was confronted with two nearly identical watches, but the automatic had a single style feature I liked better, I'd go with the auto without regrets.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I prefer automatic for daily use, because I find that I sometimes forget to wind a manual wind. Nonetheless I think every mechanical watch fan really owe it to themselves to own at least one manual winder for the daily ritual experience.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Quartz has no personality.
I would not say a metal case full of metal cogs has any personality.....
Humankind has always aimed for improvements and perfection, etc. Quartz is the logical step in the watchmaking and timekeeping.
OK, I do not own a Quartz for now. I confess I like those cogs and wheels.
But I have a Quartz in my sights! If my old dad decides to give it to me ( 1:st installment of inheritance" :-d) I must add!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would not say a metal case full of metal cogs has any personality.....
Humankind has always aimed for improvements and perfection, etc. Quartz is the logical step in the watchmaking and timekeeping.
OK, I do not own a Quartz for now. I confess I like those cogs and wheels.
But I have a Quartz in my sights! If my old dad decides to give it to me ( 1:st installment of inheritance" :-d) I must add!
You're that kid who got the Coaxial Seamaster instead of the Quartz 'cause the lady gave your father the wrong box, aren't you?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts