WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the German Watches sub-forum, but figured I'd share it here too. I got to do a more long term review with this watch (over a month, compared to my typical 5-7 days) and I'm glad I was because I love this watch. It seems to have gone completely under the radar and has been a silent piece in Hanhart's catalog, but this watch just goes to show that there's more to Hanhart watches than the red pushers.

Video Review:

Written Review: Hanhart Pioneer Preventor 9 - Beans & Bezels

For those that don't want to venture outside the comforts of the WUS forum, here is a summary of my thoughts with pictures:

1. This watch seems to be an underdog in Hanhart's current catalog. I believe it has been around since 2013, but has been overshadowed by Hanhart's more popular red pusher chronographs. This watch does borrow some elements from Hanhart's history (1945 B-Uhr w/ Cal 44), but this really does not feel like an aviation watch or a pilot watch. This has some serious tool watch vibes and field watch aesthetics. So in terms of design, I believe this watch is really attempting to create a new space in the Hanhart catalog.

Why the single register? According to Hanhart's press release from 2012:
Due to the shortages of materials that struck manufacturers in the late 1930s and 1940s, watch movements and their components were scarce. Hanhart therefore had to come up with creative solutions to continue manufacturing its timepieces. Without further ado the Hanhart watchmakers decided to omit the 30-minute counter from their chronographs, because of a lack of components for this, but kept the small seconds at 9 o'clock. The result was a triple-hand watch with an unconventional and therefore unmistakable face.

2. It is the most modestly sized watch in Hanhart's collection, with a 40mm diameter and 12mm thickness. They do make other 40mm watches currently, but those are closer to 15mm in thickness because of the automatic chronograph movements. The flat/slim caseback together with the beautifully curved lugs and exquisite bracelet, this watch is unbelievably comfortable. To me the Rolex Explorer-I is the most comfortable watch I've ever worn, and this is definitely #2. It wraps around my wrist like a perfectly fitting glove.

3. It has a screw-down caseback but no screw-down crown (which seems a bit odd). But the watch is still rated for 100m of water resistance, so I'd say it's adequate for most day-to-day activities.

4. The bracelet and clasp are incredible. I think this is likely to be one of the best bracelets and clasps I've experienced under $3000. I know the Monta bracelets are said to be amazing as well, but this $1350 watch makes some $2000 watch bracelets look primitive. The bracelet and clasp are designed in perfect harmony, with no protruding surfaces or edges. There's 2-3 on-the-fly ratcheting extensions with a push button clasp operating. More positions would've been good, but the overall size of the clasp is small so I don't think it would've been possible without increasing the length of the clasp. The links alternate between polished and brushed surfaces and the screw-based pins are very high quality. Very, very comfortable on the wrist... and quite breathable.

5. The dial is beautiful, but I can see it not appealing to everybody. The blatant asymmetry might be off-putting to some, but I quickly grew to appreciate it. A 6 o'clock seconds register would've made this look like a deck-watch/marine chronometer. The finishing on the dial is excellent. I only noticed a small paint/printing smudge on the Hanhart logo. Everything else is impeccable.

6. The hands are definitely field watch inspired, and is probably another area in which folks might be divided. The design is bold, and the rustic finishing is even bolder. But it seems to just work perfectly on this dial color. I'm not sure what the black dial looks like with these hands, but this totally works.

7. Lume - not often a feature imposed upon field watches of this style (Weiss Standard Issue), but generously applied on the hands and adequately applied to the indices. The indices fade quicker than the hands, but they're still plenty bright and legible at night.

8. Performance - the Preventor9 uses a Sellita SW200-1 with a module from Dubois Depraz for the offset seconds register. It averaged about +1.5 spd over a 10 day period. Better than most SW200-1 based I've reviewed/owned. The Guinand Flight Engineer's SW220-1 comes close.

Thanks for reading, and if you want a more detailed review, check out the full length written review!

Happy to discuss this further!

:coffee:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.