WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So about 2 years who my wife and I were walking around Chestnut Hill PA and we walked into a very unique shop filled with a lot of vintage items. Of coarse my watch sonar was activated and there was a case filled with old watches. I spotted an old unique looking Timex. It was a model I’ve never seen before. It seemed to work. I think the shop owner was asking $75.00. I said, “How do I know if it keeps time?” He said “ I’ll set it. Go out, walk around, get something to eat, come back in a couple of hours and see how it runs!” Sounded good to me and so we did. We came back and from what I can remember, it was maybe 10 seconds off.

I do not remember why I didn’t walk out with it because I really thought it was unique. But I went home without it.

Two days ago, we went to Chestnut Hill and walked around. Two years passing is enough time for small shops to vanish but I kept my eyes open for it. After ducking into several shops we went to grab a late lunch. We left and walked a bit and I spotted that shop!

We walked in and low and behold, that Timex was still there! $50.00 and it was mine.

It runs approx 1 minute fast per day. It’ll need a cleaning and oiling. It runs strong and I put it on an old lizard strap.

It puts a smile on my face and I really like it. Not bad for $50.00. It waited 2 years for me!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
That is a great story. What are the odds of that happening? I love vintage timex and I have a bunch of them in quartz, auto, and hand wind. Yours looks great.
Joe

Reactions: PAUL H.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Joe.

I have quite a few but only this and a Mercury are functioning. Two are my father’s, one of which is an electric with its original box. I put a new battery in it but no luck. Someday I’ll hunt down a fix for that nice electric!

These older Timex pieces sure are elegant!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Well done!
Great story and nice watch
Cheap Timex ftw!
How about pics of the Mercury?

Also, putting a smile on my face is my main criteria in selecting/ keeping a watch these days

1 - 9 of 9 Posts