WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ian Lancaster Fleming (May 28, 1908 – August 12, 1964). Thank you for all the Adventure. John Wilson

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happy Birthday!

I was shown the WUS forums by someone (Eagle b-)) who found me on a James Bond forum...

I'm ashamed to say I've only read 5 of the Fleming Bond books though...
I'll be getting the new Sebastian Faulks Bond novel though. |>
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q145/Seamaster007/Picture357.jpg
DON'T be ashamed! I've never read a one. I just go to the picture show. Only certain thing's I enjoy reading. No shame here at WUS. I'm a village idot...no one cares. John Wilson

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
Great shout John - couldn't agree more about Fleming - great books and films. Not able to post pictures right now, but there would be lots of 007 content - nice set Hippocampus.

Nigel

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
You undersell yourself Mr Wilson.

Best damn photographer on the board, always fresh and amusing posts and the bonus of being a genuinely nice bloke. what more precisely could you offer here?

I'm always pleased to see your posts.

·
Banned
3,251 Posts
It is a pity one of the great novelist of the 20th century is no longer with us. If Ian was still alive, but retired from writing, I wonder what he would have thought of Die Another Day? Anyway, this one is for the memory of Ian.

~James Bond

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You undersell yourself Mr Wilson.

Best damn photographer on the board, always fresh and amusing posts and the bonus of being a genuinely nice bloke. what more precisely could you offer here?

I'm always pleased to see your posts.
Thanks Luv! John Wilson

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'll be getting the new Sebastian Faulks Bond novel though. |>
i can't say i approve of copycat writers. such books always lack the authenticity of the originals. to my mind, this new novel says more about the alure of easy money than anything else. some things are best left alone.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
i can't say i approve of copycat writers. such books always lack the authenticity of the originals. to my mind, this new novel says more about the alure of easy money than anything else. some things are best left alone.
Copycat? Fleming's family hired him to write it. Nothing about easy money or lack of authenticity.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Copycat? Fleming's family hired him to write it. Nothing about easy money or lack of authenticity.
so, would you like to apply that statement to some famous painters? of course not! a copy is a copy. and in the style of means just that. it ain't original no matter who does the hiring. but do let me know if they donate the money to charity? i'll happily withdraw that claim under those circumstances.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I understand, but aren't you at least slightly curious? It picks up where the last novel (The Man with the Golden Gun) leaves off. So unlike the Benson novels etc. which just use the Bond character it continues the story Fleming was going with. Of course you can't consider it one of the classics but I think it's worth a read at least...

thus producing the plot for a quantum of Solace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNwSv6c7m0
Hehehe, not keen on the new ones? :-d I liked Brosnan's first three well enough, but an invisible car and ridiculous computer animation... I don't think they belong in a Bond film.

Still think I like Timothy Dalton the best though.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I understand, but aren't you at least slightly curious? It picks up where the last novel (The Man with the Golden Gun) leaves off. So unlike the Benson novels etc. which just use the Bond character it continues the story Fleming was going with. Of course you can't consider it one of the classics but I think it's worth a read at least...
i'm going to leave that one to public opinion. what i will say is that there is a tendancy to do things to their death and i do think that detracts from the original. i'm sure there will be no shortage of people that rush out to buy this book and i'm sure there will be a film too. but i suspect that if taken too far, ultimately this approach will deminish the character that ian fleming created.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i'm going to leave that one to public opinion. what i will say is that there is a tendancy to do things to their death and i do think that detracts from the original. i'm sure there will be no shortage of people that rush out to buy this book and i'm sure there will be a film too. but i suspect that if taken too far, ultimately this approach will deminish the character that ian fleming created.
I can see why you'd think that but really I'm hoping for the opposite... If anything I think the films have already diminished the original Bond character Fleming created into a more generic movie character. I think the new book might get people to go back and read the original Flemings and see the differences between the literary and cinematic James Bond.

Though I suppose I share your concern about it going too far... Though it won't be made into a movie, at least anytime soon, as EON would have to jump over a lot of legal hurdles to make it into a movie I think... And not to mention that the Craig films take place at the beginning of Bond's career, whereas Devil May Care is at the end. So at least not anytime soon. But I hope the Fleming foundation doesn't just want to cash out and start dishing out new books just for the sake of money...

Though I shouldn't defend this book too much before I've read it. :-x:-d

1 - 20 of 24 Posts