WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I couldn't stand looking at Lou's pictures anymore, so I decided to follow the good advice of you fine folks and start tracking a Chrono-matic.

After a good tip from a friend, I knew there was one in Portland.

I'm writing to you now from a Portland hotel with #973/1,000 on my wrist!

After spending the holidays with family in Washington, we drove down to Portland. It's a great city.

I made my way to Carl Grieve Jewelers and fell all the way up the stairs to the Breilting display. The Chrono-matic fit amazingly well and I loved the flyback feature. I also loved the dial...It's all business and is quite easy to read (more like a Unitime than a Cosmonaute).

I took a breath, they got us glasses of wine, and I quietly told my wife I was about to spend a huge amount of money on a watch. She gave me the green light.

I pretended to look at a Rolex for a bit...the new GMT Anniversary model which has many updates...Updates which will be incorporated into the entire Sport/Steel line in the near future.

Then I returned to the Chrono-matic. It beat the Rolex.

I offered my price, they nearly matched it, and out came the plastic.

I took pics today of my 2.5 year old son at the Portland Maritime Museum Park with the Chrono-matic draped over his little wrist.

Someday in the far future I expect it will be his.

:-!

I'll write again in a week or so after I return home, and I'll try to include pictures.

Thanks again, all!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Whooo Hoooo!!!!!!|>|>|>|>|>|>

Congrats, Dennis! I'm glad it went to "One of us!"

-Enjoy!

-Michael

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Dennis, i am really glad my pics helped influence you into this purchase, i feel flattered to say the least, however theres one more thing you need to do for us WUS, Show the pics you took !!!!

Enjoy the very special watch, I only have girls, but i know my eldest will love it in years to come..

·
Registered
349 Posts
great choice Dennis!!

enjoy and wear it in good health.

best wishes for 2007 to you and yours.

André

·
Registered
69 Posts
:) Hi Dennis, hurry up to come back home, we are waiting for the photos of your new Brietling, surely it will be gorgeous, :-!

Cheers,
Mariangela

·
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone,
Great hearing from you guys.
This watch has been a joy to wear the last few days. Finally got home last night and am able to post a few quick pics this morning.
As you can see, I switched the bracelet from "Breitling" to "Seiko Oyster". I like them both equally, but find the simple robust oyster style complements the comparitively busy dial of the watch nicely.
Here's a pop quiz....especially for those of you who use an E6-B circular slide rule...
Why do I have "34" on top. Hint...Remember the decimal point can be placed in different spots, and this is to help me in the Bell 407 helicopter.

At the bottom is little two-year-old Guy.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Great pics Dennis! I agree with your choice of bracelet, it suits the watch beautifully!

One quick question: In that bottom pic, who's two year old Guy got in his arms?:):):)

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Seriously, BEAUTIFUL watch, and completely adorable son!

Enjoy both in the best of health.

-Michael

PS; As a 757 driver, I'm afraid you've got me stumped on the E6B question, but my gut tells me it's related to range/endurance. What's your fuel flow on that puppy?

Wait, do you true out at 340KTAS? Are you THAT fast?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Great shots Dennis.
The watch fits your wrist nicely.
It looks nice on a smaller wrist
compared to a cosmonaute

I'm tempted to go to the dealer tomorrow!

But as you know .....
always looking for the best deal and Europe tends to be expensive at the moment.

André

·
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great pics Dennis! I agree with your choice of bracelet, it suits the watch beautifully!

One quick question: In that bottom pic, who's two year old Guy got in his arms?:):):)

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Seriously, BEAUTIFUL watch, and completely adorable son!

Enjoy both in the best of health.

-Michael

PS; As a 757 driver, I'm afraid you've got me stumped on the E6B question, but my gut tells me it's related to range/endurance. What's your fuel flow on that puppy?

Wait, do you true out at 340KTAS? Are you THAT fast?
I knew you'd get it, Michael. Close enough anyway.
Vne is 140 KIAS, but we cruise at about 130 usually.

Range is the right track though! We've got the Rolls-Royce/Allison 250/C47B turbine that's rated at 813 shaft horsepower, derated (due to the transmission) to 674 SHP takeoff power. We burn about 340 pounds of Jet-A per hour conservatively, hence the "34" on top :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Congratulations Dennis:-! another super piece,

Andre nice wrist shot of the Cosmo,i will post some pix of the new wrist and this awesome watch.

Martin

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Dennis,

Thats a great looking watch bracelet combo.

My Ad has also got the 24hr in the gold version which is sooooo tempting, but i have to justify buying the same watch in a different metal, if you know what i mean.

Well, heres from one smith to another ( yep the surname gets around a bit)

·
Registered
69 Posts
:) Hi Dennis, great pics and great watch, very, very nice:-! , i'm happy for, you surely you'll enjoy very much wearing it :) .

Hope to buy one of this someday :roll: .

COmpliments for your watch and for your child b-) , surely him too will become a watch's lover :-d .

Cheers,
Mariangela

1 - 12 of 12 Posts