WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aloha Everyone,

I certainly hope everyone in WUS-land is having a great Thanksgiving. I am working today unfortunately, because from now until Baselworld, it is basically flat out work in order to be ready.

We have been putting in long hours to get together all the new ads (did anyone see our new one in iW?), a new catalog, new registration cards, and most importantly, new watches. I am happy to say we received a new shipment of 60 Benthics yesterday, which is a good thing since we had sold out of 4 models and were running low on everything else. We won't be able to make any more Benthics until Fall 2008 (when we get our next delivery of ETA 2892s), so if you've thought of getting one, I wouldn't wait until after the holidays because they will definitely all be gone by then. We're just about to drop big time in Honolulu with ads and a party at Ben Bridge, so I know these will be very popular there.

We've been designing new watches as well, both a womens and a mens quartz model. I know that most of you are pretty anti-quartz, so I'll be brief! :-d

I'll hold off on the womans watch for now, but let me get some feedback from you guys on this new all titanium diver we are doing. Right now we are considering a 46mm diameter case, 12.5mm case height, solid grade 5 titanium, coming in around 100 grams (most of which is movement), and with both a large date and a retrograde-day complication. Like this:

I don't recall if I have posted this before or not...don't think so. Oh and it will have the 10 and the 2...just not in this mockup....

Here's the basic case drawings, though the lug horns here are shown as round, which is not correct...they will be 'pointy' as in the rendering.

We plan to go with design A-1 in terms of using a 24mm strap.

We are still refining the overall design and I was interested in some feedback from the WUS crew. Regarding the whole quartz vs automatic thing...but not trying to restart a quartz vs. auto debate at all.

We would love to do this watch using an ETA or Sellita automatic movement, and we probably will at some point. But because of the extreme difficulty in obtaining these auto movements currently, we need to offer other quartz models as part of our line as well. And as I mentioned when I came back from Basel, there a certainly plenty of beautiful quartz movements out there that I would be proud to put in one of my own watches and wear every day.

Like this nice Ronda 7003.N movement. 4 jewels, all brass plates, 15"' and satisfyingly heavy...

the back:

Here's a couple things I'm curious to get your feedback about...

What do you think about the size -46mm?

What do you think about the retrograde day?

If I use a quartz movement, how much do you care about the quality of the movement? Is your opinion more, "well screw quartz, so I don't care" or is could you be convinced that there are genuinely nice quartz movements out there?

(Remember, I came from a background of years of only wanting to wear a mechanical watch to the point I am at now, which is thinking that both types of movements have their place..even on my arm).

Please send along any comments and I'll come back later and check them out.

Oh and did you guys see this?:
http://www.urwerk.com/watches_103_08.asp

Not so sure about it being "the world's first wristwatch treated with TiAlN"..as everyone here can attest, Bathys did a TiAlN coating 2 years ago.

Kinda ticks me off because the Urwerk guys certainly could have / would have seen my strikingly purple UV quartz watch in the 2007 Baselworld catalog.
try searching for Bathys here:
http://baselcatalog.messe.ch/2007/exhList.asp

or when you google "TIALN watch" I see one whole page of Urwerk Press Releases, but at the top of the second page is a bathyswatch.com link, so this was there when they researched all this.

I mean I like their watches and all, but they really shouldn't take credit for coming up with this first.

And if you are wondering about Thanksgiving in Hawaii, well, it's nice outside as always, but as nice as it is, as usual, I could not find any fresh cranberries at the store and the first store I went to had nary a cranberry in the whole place...canned or otherwise.
I managed to get some of the last canned ones they had at store #2. Sigh..canned cranberry sauce.... :roll:
My mother would be turning in her grave, except that she's alive, so please do not tell her. :-d

So REALLY enjoy your fresh corn, your good bread, your non-frozen turkeys, your $2.89 gallons of milk, and most of all your fresh cranberry sauce! ;-)

And maybe even time with the family.....

Aloha Thanksgiving!

Cheers,
John

ps..we now have leather straps available the Benthic and anyone else who needs one. They will show up at Picciones in a week or two. $45 each I believe....

·
Registered
22 Posts
happy turkey day to you to John. its snowing here in rochester ny:-( but thats ok we are use to it. all i can say about your new design is "build it and they will come". i love it and want to be first in line to get one:-!. i just picked up my first batheys the other day, my girl friend got it for me for christmas. its a 100 f in quartz.she wont let me have it till christmas:-|.bummer.

i like quartz watches myself.and the bigger the better !!make one in 52mm.(hint hint)

also have a wonderful christmas and if you do think of us poor souls in ny when it is snowing and your surfing find it in your heart to send me a hat to go with my watch:-! mark hellard 421 mt vernon ave rochester ny 14620

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Quatz will be fine for a lot of folks that don't want to pay extra for auto + they don't want to pay extra to required maintenance.

I like the day of the week the way it was done just not sure what will "older" folks think about it.

Anyhow, have you given a tought of maby outsourcing Minoyta solar movement? This sounds like a great idea for diver watch im my oppinion since it's real hard to change battery while keeping watch "waterproof". Basically here in Canada where I live I was NOT able to find watchrepair shop that will even guarantee that watch is still "waterproof" after battery change let alone that it's "dive safe".

I'd also consider changing the ETA quartz movement for something that has 10 year battery life with end of life indicator. 10 battery life surely sound fantastic from marketing perspective!

Glad you're getting you watches sold out all the time.

Not sure for others but I surely miss you round here.

Hope you're having a great thanksgiving. Ours in canada was about 2 weeks ago or so.

Cheers, and many greetings from Canada! Love the new design! :-!

·
Registered
420 Posts
John,

I like the rendering alot and I hope you make it. Personally I prefer an auto but to each his own. (but i still own 12-15 quartz watches go figure):think::think:

You set yourself apart with innovative designs so by all means do a retrograde and quartz and anything else that comes to mind (ceramic case...hint hint) they'll sell.:p
I would use the one of the better quartz movements only because people always want to know they are getting something of value

As for the size, my Professionale is 46mm and I really like the size alot, to me bigger is better.|>

As far as the Benthic strap.....count me in...:-!:-!
Happy Thanksgiving....Steven

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd like to see the quartz second hand back on this model if it is going to be quartz. White on black date looks better especially with a black dial. Also, the day indicator could be more triangle oriented at the end matching the quartz second hand and possibly a small bit of lume on the day indicator would be pretty cool. 42-45mm sounds a bit more reasonable. Lastly, the dial minus the 12,2,4,6,8,10 markers would be interesting and different. Maybe I like less clutter but it would look more like a "divers" type of watch. All said IMHO.:)

I don't own a Benthic but a quartz silver and UV auto and if I were to buy another Bathys I'd like to see a different type of markers layout dial. Just getting rid of the mentioned numbers and adding longer or shorter line markers would change the whole look.

and... Happy Thanksgiving. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am happy to say we received a new shipment of 60 Benthics yesterday, which is a good thing since we had sold out of 4 models and were running low on everything else. We won't be able to make any more Benthics until Fall 2008 (when we get our next delivery of ETA 2892s), so if you've thought of getting one, I wouldn't wait until after the holidays because they will definitely all be gone by then.
Can you also share the inventory status of your other models?

Here's a couple things I'm curious to get your feedback about...

What do you think about the size -46mm?
Too big for me and your average consumer.

What do you think about the retrograde day?
I love it but would change the text to SMTWTFS. I know the difference between Tuesday and Thursday and Saturday and Sunday and I'd prefer a less unbalanced look. I like symmetry.

If I use a quartz movement, how much do you care about the quality of the movement?
If I'm buying a high quality watch at a premium price I want a high quality movement with a long battery life. I'd rather have a regular quartz movement than a solar or kinetic quartz movement.

Bastards. <|

I don't get any watch magazines so I haven't seen your ads. Whats is the purpose of the new ads? To highlight a specific model or models or to simply promote the brand? Can you share the PDF of the ad for those of us who haven't seen it?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Thanks for the post and the info. Don't own a Bathy's yet, but you are on my radar screen.

As to the watch design above, frankly, I like just having the 12, 4 and 8. Something different and unique.

I love the retrograde day indicator :-!, but as mentioned by a poster above, one letter per day is sufficient.

For me, Quartz can be fine, but I am anti-battery, so Solar or Kinetic is my personal preference. I only have one battery operated watch at the moment TX 730, but would be hard pressed to buy another. I just don't want to have to have the case opened unless absolutely necessary.

But of luck and looking forward to seeing what you produce.

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,769 Posts
Aloha John,

I like the design :-! You can always make an automatic model later.
The only suggestion I have is for seconds hand to be single color with or without lume.

Looking forward to seeing you at Basel 2008 and especially women's watch.

Brah, Thanksgiving is not the same without mom's cooking. It was nice and cool in AZ today :-d

Cheers,
Bhanu

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Aloha, John!

Your ti diver looks great! Lots of great comments, Everyone! :-!

I'd love to see the case diameter be more like 42mm-44mm, but then, my wrist is only 7.25" so I might be considered more in the middle of the range.

I like the retro day complication, but as others have said, single letters for each day would be sufficient and more balanced looking(symmetrical).

I'd prefer the second hand to either be all red, or have the long end red and the balance end white.

The best quartz watches that I've ever had were both Citizen Eco-Drives. The solar powered Eco-Drive quartz is very, very accurate and very, very reliable...and never needs a battery change. I don't dive, but imagine that a quartz diver that doesn't ever need a battery change has got to be a good thing. Soooo, I'd love to see your new ti diver have a solar powered quartz. But, if that's not feasible, then as high quality a quartz movement that you can put in it that has a long life battery would have my vote.

I'd love to see that watch have a nicely domed thick sapphire crystal with AR coating only on the underside.

Thanks, John! Sorry that you're working so hard, but am glad to hear that business has been so good for you! :-! Hang in there, and keep up the good work! ;-)

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you make a quartz, make it a high quality one. Lots of low quality quartz divers out there, but not enough good ones. Why would you want to compete with the cheapos when youve worked so hard to be a name that means class and high quality? Just damage the band name in my estimation. You could totally pull off a high quality quartz diver. I think there are two target neighborhoods in that area, Marathon Tsar, and Seiko Tuna would be one price range....Omega, Breitling, and Sinn would be the other...Way more room in the first group..... As for 46 mm...HELL YAH !!!! Bring it and bring it GRANDE....Im down for one of those!...maybe two.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I think it's a brilliant design. You've ruggedized with the scalloped bezel. Frankly I wouldn't much care if it's quartz or mechanical, not with a design like that which makes secondary which kind of movement. Just me, your previous designs were a bit too pretty for me, but this one has it all. I love it. Gorgeous watch.

Sean

·
Registered
527 Posts
If I use a quartz movement, how much do you care about the quality of the movement? Is your opinion more, "well screw quartz, so I don't care" or is could you be convinced that there are genuinely nice quartz movements out there?

our $2.89 gallons of milk....
I've been an auto snob for years, but have come to appreciate the accuracy and reliability of a good quartz movement - still wearing my 1st generation 100 Fathoms and loving it. The only bug bear I have with a quartz movement is the niggling concern that one day, when I rely on it, the battery will run out and the watch will fail me. Other than that I say go for it.

I wish a watch manufacturer would consider making a good diver/pilot/military watch with a nice quality quartz movement that runs on solar power. Casio has a bunch of Gs that are solar, but I think it would be awesome to have a Bathys 100 Fathoms with decent quartz movt and a dial that is part solar cell - maybe the chapter ring - but keep the main surface of the dial unchanged.

Not sure about anyone else but milk here is $4+ a gallon and with two little kids it's costing me a small fortune! :)

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I'm back at work today helping to keep the country safe....

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't have any experience with owning a solar powered watch...

-Would solar power that require the watch's design to be compromised? How does you get the light beyond the dial and into the watch?

-Don't solar and kinetic watches use a capacitor to store energy? How long do they last before needing replacement?

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
In my opinion, a 46mm watch with 54mm lug-to-lug is too large for most people and will limit the potential customer base. Especially when you're selling retail and people can try it on and see just how huge that really is.

The retrograde day is interesting, but it looks like it was taken off a dress watch and dropped onto the dial. Seems superfluous on a tool watch.

As for quartz, I say go for it, but something with a 5-10 year battery is preferable. If I'm not buying an auto, I generally lean towards Eco-Drive or Kinetic, simply because I don't want to open up a dive watch every year or two. Battery life is MUCH more important to me than how pretty the movement looks.

Please get some shots of the ladies model posted ASAP, John. My wife needs a new watch, and I'm very close to buying her one for Christmas. I know that yours won't be available until next year, but at least if she likes the pictures, I can hold off spending the money on something else. Time is ticking here with 31 shopping days left...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Size is great, bezel is great (very Sinn-ish) love the big date and the dial, but I'm not a fan of the day complication - just looks tacky, imo.

Quartz is not a bad thing on this type of watch (or any watch for that matter), as long as the battery has a long life (5-7 years if possible...) and the movement has an EOL indicator. And thats one of the best finished Quartz movements I've seen. What sort of accuracy is that one capable of, and is it thermocompensated?

The watch looks like a winner!

BTW, what a great way of garnering customer/potential customer wants and needs, too.

Alex;-)

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Please show us the ladies watch! Would love to have a look and see if it is something my daughter might like. I'm thinking it will be quartz correct? Hope you offer one with orange dial.

I really like the mock up shown above. I agree to drop the small letter on Th and Sa. Everything else sounds good.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
HI John,
Still loving my 100Fathoms quartz,and i think your design on this watch is spot on and continuing the Bathys "feel".Not an issue with me that it will be quartz.

Paul

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks good...better than I expected

As you know, I prefer auto, but I do own 4 quartz watches (2 are under $20 each, and 2 Bathys). Depending on what the price point is, I would probably buy it. Now, for the people suggesting eco or kenetic, remember, the lifespan of those movements are 5-10 years. I will take a strait battery. Long life is good, but....

And with the Myota movements, the watches would no longer be "swiss made".

David (missing kauai).

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I like the new design, but as mentioned by others the day function is pretty odd looking, I would rather have a life remaining (quartz movement) or power reserve or AM/PM function (auto). I like the big date as well, but would like to see other color options like black background with white or red numbers. Also, hopefully if you use the big date again you have the extra days "feature" fixed (32, 33, 34, 35...). ;-) I would like to maybe see different hand options or at least a longer minute hand to make it all the way to the time markers on the dial. The size is great, but I love big watches anyway, so I'm biased. ;-) 24mm lugs will work great with my current strap collection, though I have been getting a lot more 22mm since getting my first Bathys. :-!
I'm 100% ok with a quartz movement as long as it's priced accordingly and it's a quality movement.
On the Benthic strap comment are previous owners getting leather straps or is it just for the "new" owners? Also, when are you going to start offering aftermarket straps, buckles and deployments? I would love to have a nice Bathys deployment and strap for my Benthic (which should have come with more than a rubber anyway). :-d

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A large watch sounds great with a large crown. High end quartz movement. Option of a bracelet. No days on the dial, but a picture or impression of the Islands would be great, I always had to take mine off to show someone because I thought it was cool.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts