WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 43.5 PO and it fits my wrist wonderfully (in my opinion). I really love the newer chronograph POs as well, but that size 45.5 is obviously large, and quite large for my wrist. I'm very close to not giving a crap and wearing something I really like. The question is, have any of y'all thrown size caution to the wind and purchased larger than "should have" watches and still been happy with that decision?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I say if you really like it, get it. 45.5mm is not much larger than 43.5mm and if the smaller one fits perfectly then the 45.5 PO should fit well. Have you tried it on?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Ive always end up not happy when I get a watch larger than my own "norm". The good thing is, with watches I usually only lose 20-30% when I sell them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering others experience with a watch close to or out of their normal size range. I get that it's all individual opinion and choice, but was curious of the actual experience.

To my mind, outside of height, the PO chrono is visually compact...to me...given its overall dimensions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I had a 45.5 mm Planet Ocean, a 2500-series, and it wore quite nicely when not on the bracelet. I found that the bracelet added up to too much weight (231 grams) which would make my wrist tired after a few hours. But on rubber, NATOs, or silicone, the big PO was quite comfortable.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have big wrists, and find I don't like smaller ones. Sort of your opposite problem, but its quite noticeable when they are too small IMO.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
The question is, have any of y'all thrown size caution to the wind and purchased larger than "should have" watches and still been happy with that decision?
Not me. A watch fitting my wrist properly is high on the priority list

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think 45.5mm is not too big (meaning clownish) for anyone. To me it is not as related to wrist size as it's made out to be.

It is more a matter of the size as compared to other watches. There are tons and tons of watches being worn in that size range currently, so it wouldn't stand out and actually would look quite normal.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My own advice to myself is always that it's very hard for a watch to be too small, but easy to be too big. I could pull off big watches on my ~7.5" wrist, but I think it looks silly and dated. I try to keep my watches < 40mm (and I'm making an exception for my Speedy because it was one of my first loves).

Yesterday I tried wearing a 41mm dive watch and it just looked clunky, unrefined and a tad clownish in my mind. I can't go back to bigger watches now that I'm used to the look of 36-39 on my wrist.

Long story short: I'd be careful. All the trends are going smaller again. Try it out to see for yourself how you honestly feel when wearing it (y)

Reactions: Jambo50

·
Registered
390 Posts
The thing that caused me to fall out of love with my PO 45.5 was not diameter but thickness. Where photos from a third party perspective famously mitigate apparently ‘too big’ diameters when viewed up close, here the opposite was true.

Seeing myself in reflection and realising it looked like I had a fat puck strapped to my wrist was something I could never unsee. That was not decisive, but it planted a seed. The decisive moment came after I was on the road for work, and only had a much slimmer piece with me. Strapping on the PO after some weeks of that, it just seemed cumbersome and artificial.

Aa far as I recall, the PO Chrono is super thick - I recall trying on the previous generation long before the above change of heart and finding it untenable. All of the above is just me, and if you like it, great. The point of my story is not to dissuade you but to highlight the factor I suspect you should be evaluating to determine whether this will work for you; not breadth, girth.

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
I purchased my Rolex DSSD in 2011. For years I convinced myself that on my slim, 17cm wrist, it wasn't unduly large/heavy. I then purchased a 39.5mm Omega AT and, 'saw the light'. Big watches? For me, never again. ;)

Reactions: Buramu
1 - 20 of 57 Posts