WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
29,680 Posts
Horses for courses as we rich race horse owning Brits would say.

People with small wrists will Wear smaller cased watches, people with big wrists will wear larger cased watches.

Unless they want to wear big watches or little watches respectively.

It’s your watch and your wrist wear what you are comfortable with, personally the DSSD was too big for me, and I have big arms and wrists.

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
Reactions: Thadmach

·
Registered
239 Posts
I purchased my Rolex DSSD in 2011. For years I convinced myself that on my slim, 17cm wrist, it wasn't unduly large/heavy. I then purchased a 39.5mm Omega AT and, 'saw the light'. Big watches? For me, never again. ;)
I’m in a similar boat. I have big wrists and primarily wore 42mm for years. That’s not “big” for me, but it’s the biggest that I have any interest wearing. I picked up a 40mm to try something different and ended up really enjoying that size. That’s what gets the most wrist time at this point, because it’s just so light (titanium) and comfortable.

You do you (OP) if that’s the size you want. I’m just not a fan of big heavy watches. I pulled the bracelet off my latest 42mm stainless steel purchase because it pretty much doubled the weight of the watch (I wear it on a nylon single pass now).

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you're concerned about how it looks on you, then consider your overall physique when gauging whether the watch fits. Check the look standing a few feet from a full-length mirror when you try the watch on, and you'll know right away.

If you're wondering whether you'll enjoy the chunkiness, then there's really only one way to find out.

I've heard others say the PO Chrono wears really well for its size.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My wrist is 7+3/4". I have a few 44's & 3 45's. My Aussie made Panzera at 45 is the only one that looks big on my wrist. Polished case & shape I believe makes the difference, where the other 45's appear ok. My comment on purchasing was "not for the faint hearted". When its on I keep looking at it trying to make up my mind, but I DO love the way it looks !
Judge for yourself.
PANZERA.JPG

·
Registered
69 Posts
While not as fancy as a Rolex or Omega, these get regularly rotated on my wrist…and I’m quite happy with them and how they fit. As for how they “look”? Great, as you can see!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not really thrown caution to the wind but I actually tried one on and see for myself. I realized that for sport watches whether they be dive or chronograph I like them on the big side. I mean, they are "sport" watches right? Besides, with my old, tired eyes legibility with the bigger dials is a plus. That PO chronograph is what I wanted but ended up getting the non-chronograph titanium instead when I tried both at my AD. With a wrist size of just 16cm the chrono is still wearable but the non-chrono one is just perfect. If I had the funds to buy both I would have. The 40mm Omega Speedmaster racing is another case in point. That watch is on the "small" side for me but I got it because it could fill the "sport" coat semi formal attire but for outdoor rugged activities and attire to me that size looks "delicate" if that make sense. For me, unless the dial looks like it's eating up my whole top of the wrist I would still get it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I routinely wear watches that are too big for me without a care. If they feel fine I keep them. Sometimes a watch won't sit well on my wrist and then I'll have to part ways.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not me. A watch fitting my wrist properly is high on the priority list
I lean toward this as well. It is both an issue of wearing something that feels comfortable, but also not looking sloppy, like most oversized clothes and jewelry do. If you are 23 and don't know any better, wearing a watch that makes you look like a little kid is forgivable. Grown men, however, will notice a watch that is too big or too small and think you clownish. At 7.5- 7.75 inches, sadly there are a lot of vintage watches that look 100% like I am wearing a teenage girl's watch and are unwearable. Likewise, a watch much too big (overhanging lugs, etc.) screams of forcing a fit to compensate for being a little fella and has a feel of a child wearing their dad's clothes, not a good look for meetings, interviews, or dates. Sentimentality aside, such as Prince William's Seamaster, there are so many options at so many sizes that it is easy to stay in your sweet spot (for me that is 40mm-45mm). Honestly though, life is short and if you truly want and love a watch that is not in your ideal size, then who cares. Go for it and enjoy it for as long as you can! And if you change your mind, then just sell it, thankfully a watch purchase is not a marriage.

·
Registered
644 Posts

I wear a Glycine Combat Sub in 48mm. While it's probably not too big for my wrist. The lugs wear very well. It's impossible not to call it a huge ass watch. I love it though, and find it fun and casual to have a dinner plate to put on every once in a while.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I recently purchased a 43.5 PO and it fits my wrist wonderfully (in my opinion). I really love the newer chronograph POs as well, but that size 45.5 is obviously large, and quite large for my wrist. I'm very close to not giving a crap and wearing something I really like. The question is, have any of y'all thrown size caution to the wind and purchased larger than "should have" watches and still been happy with that decision?
View attachment 15860707
I think if you really like the watch, and it sounds like you do, you shouldn’t consider too much what others think. I mean you say that it’s something you really like. On the other hand, I do understand the argument that one person made that wearing a watch that is noticeably too big for your wrist could make it look a bit clownish. It sounds like this watch, for you though, is borderline, so chances are it will look ok or potentially slightly too large, but it doesn’t sound like it will be clownish.

I have found that I thought, when I first started wearing and collecting watches, that I really liked big beefy watches 44-45mm and I wanted them on a bracelet. Now I tend more towards 40-42mm on leather or rubber, as it’s just so much more comfortable to me. My wrist is only 6.75”, but I’m a pretty muscular guy at 5’9” 225 pounds, so watches that are even 45mm look good on my wrist and with my build. Everyone talks about wrist size, but it’s also about the proportions of your body and your style.

I also think that sometimes these large watches will wear completely different depending whether it’s on a bracelet or some kind of strap. Also, I’m currently eyeing a 45.5mm Omega Planet Ocean in ceramic because the ceramic combined with the rubber strap makes it wear completely different than the same size steel model on bracelet.

Just some things I’ve observed recently. At the end of the day if you keep thinking about the watch and you like it, you should probably go for it and enjoy the heck out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 57 Posts