WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying that I dislike the idea of a formal white 3-hand watch, but I find that my collection is sorely missing a proper dress watch, especially when I'm wearing a suit.

There are few choices in the sub-$1000 category, and I find that most of them are a little too plain for me - the Tissot PR100 Quartz COSC, Certina DS-2 Precidrive 3-hander, Seiko Dolce SACM171 are all fine HAQ watches but just a tad too plain for me.

I'm looking at the Japanese domestic market only Seiko Dolce SADZ163 (which looks great a dress watch as seen below)

...and the Seiko Dolce SADZ175, which also looks fine as a dress watch

Wondering if anyone owns either model and can comment on accuracy and radio frequency range? Also open to other suggestions.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Not to be pedantic, but technically the SADZ line is RF, not HAQ. Since you include it, tho, you're pretty much implying you'll consider either.

I have the 163, picked up at the time with the intent of it being my more formal piece...as formal as I'm likely to need, anyway. That's since been superseded by one of those old-fashioned wind-type thingies. :) But I still like the 163.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f9/seiko-sadz163-came-today-early-review-3398482.html

Do you take white dials to be more formal than black? Business attire, I'd think it's a tossup. SADZ187 is a dark-dial option.

Reactions: Verdict

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to be pedantic, but technically the SADZ line is RF, not HAQ. Since you include it, tho, you're pretty much implying you'll consider either.

I have the 163, picked up at the time with the intent of it being my more formal piece...as formal as I'm likely to need, anyway. That's since been superseded by one of those old-fashioned wind-type thingies. :) But I still like the 163.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f9/seiko-sadz163-came-today-early-review-3398482.html

Do you take white dials to be more formal than black? Business attire, I'd think it's a tossup. SADZ187 is a dark-dial option.
Hm...I assumed that RF watches would sync automatically every now and then, which means that it would be highly accurate? My Citizen Satellite Wave is pretty much dead on accurate.

How do you like the texture of the solar cell dial? The translucency of the dial might not be ideal for a dress watch IMO/

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you familiar with the Citizen Exceed line or did you rule out. Their small on leather dressy kind of watches.
Which models would you recommend? I'm drawn to this one though I assume it's satellite/rf...and also out of my budget.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
The nuance is, HAQ more specifically means high inherent accuracy without resorting to sync with an external source. The SACM171 is an HAQ. The Tissot and Certina are HAQs. It's not a problem, it's one of nomenclature.

Citizen Exceed AR4000 group is HAQ. I think the issue's gonna be it's too plain.

There is also a bicolor case, but the dial is still fairly plain.

Junghans also has some solar RF watches. Never hurts to look. :) Don't think any of the Casio Oceanus models count as dressy, they're sport watches usually.

Reactions: Verdict

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
I looked again at that Citizen. It's RF...BUT...I think all the Exceed RF models are Japanese reception only. That's what the feature search here says, anyway:

エクシード ラインナップ [CITIZEN-シチズン腕時計]

I can't find a dial that quite matches the pic you've got, but when the whole line is Japanese reception only, it seems unlikely this would be different. It doesn't look like a Baselworld release, but they're really not showing many new things. Eco Drive One (but no new models), Promaster, the Citizen L ladies' line, and connected tech via Bluetooth.

That is one thing you do have to check with RF watches, tho, is where it'll work. The SADZ163 works in the US, but the SADZ designation generally is, IIRC, split between Japan only and international.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
OP, like gangrel said, take a look at AR4000-XX series 10 s/yr, kind of look like that Seiko you like.
AR400x - xx in this case. Citizen's numbering scheme has always seemed to aspire to maximum obfuscation; I'll offer the A010 family. AQ10xy. When you think you see a pattern...boom, there's exceptions. Of course, it's not like Seiko is much better.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The nuance is, HAQ more specifically means high inherent accuracy without resorting to sync with an external source. The SACM171 is an HAQ. The Tissot and Certina are HAQs. It's not a problem, it's one of nomenclature.

Citizen Exceed AR4000 group is HAQ. I think the issue's gonna be it's too plain.

There is also a bicolor case, but the dial is still fairly plain.

Junghans also has some solar RF watches. Never hurts to look. :) Don't think any of the Casio Oceanus models count as dressy, they're sport watches usually.
Just checked out some pics, it is definitely not too plain, but at 37mm it's a tad too small lol. I prefer HAQ to RF myself so this would've perfect if it is a few mm larger. Then again most JDM Seikos tend to be smaller.

I looked again at that Citizen. It's RF...BUT...I think all the Exceed RF models are Japanese reception only. That's what the feature search here says, anyway:

エクシード ラインナップ [CITIZEN-シ�ズン腕時計]

I can't find a dial that quite matches the pic you've got, but when the whole line is Japanese reception only, it seems unlikely this would be different. It doesn't look like a Baselworld release, but they're really not showing many new things. Eco Drive One (but no new models), Promaster, the Citizen L ladies' line, and connected tech via Bluetooth.

That is one thing you do have to check with RF watches, tho, is where it'll work. The SADZ163 works in the US, but the SADZ designation generally is, IIRC, split between Japan only and international.
Yea, then there's the problem of receiving the actual signal. I wish it was as easy as GPS where you can sync it almost anywhere.

Speaking of Baselworld this year though, I'm digging the new Longines VHP a lot. MSRP is $940 so street price should be a little lower...add in grey market prices and it should be right in my price range.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
For a truly excellent HAQ in a 'dress' format (whatever that means), the Longines Flagship VHP Perpetual Calendar is a fair candidate. Long out of production and always quite rare, they can still be found in good condition, or even unused. Black or white dial, simple markers or Roman numerals, multi-link bracelet or leather strap. 35.5mm x 42mm x 8.5mm. This model has all the best HAQ features (10SPY, independent hour hand, perpetual calendar, 10-year battery) and can be regulated by a keen end user or a watchmaker, without special equipment.

Here's a couple of examples:

Longines VHP Perpetual Calendar Flagship Mens Watch for £655 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24
(that one just needs a decent strap)

Quality Time Watches UK - Please enter for New, Pre owned, Used Watches & Second Hand Watches - Used swiss Watches - Second hand watches uk - Pre owned Swiss Watches

1 - 12 of 12 Posts