WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another Haute Couture piece for the hard-core diver. Whaddaya think?

One of these puppies just went for 110k for Andre Agassi's Grand Slam for Children Charity. I'm not sure of the street price. All the LV Tambour Diver talk got me looking around for more interesting pieces. Personally, I like the LV design better, but this one is a bit more traditional looking I would say.

John P.

image courtesy of the Harry Winston Website.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Funny...

...I was up at Chanel yesterday (on a shoot, don't worry, I didn't buy any watches!) and when we were done I walked past the Harry Winston and saw a bunch of these blingy watches in the window! I was actually thinking of doing just what you did and search them out to post a follow-up to the Tambour Diver thread, just to tweek a few of the more "macho" members of the board! :-D

However, as to your question...what do I think? If the L/V watches are on one level of the luxury goods stratosphere, then Harry Winston would be at least five or six rungs up the ladder. Their products have always been reserved for the super-rich, their jewelry and watches made in extreme limited quantities and those who buy them obviously know they are going to get a special, if seriously spendy, item! That said, this particular design is too busy for my tastes. I saw a couple of other watches in the showcase that were actually very striking and certainly would have cost just as much this baby. There was a watch in the window that I just found on the Harry Winston website called the Project Z Tourbillon Sport that was really beautiful...grey dial with blue indices and a 110-hour tourbillon movement! It probably costs as much as my first house, but what the heck!

As I said in the Tambour thread...it's OK to dream, right?!!

BT

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been following the Opus Series of HW watches for awhile.

The Opus V is something else.

They are amazing watches, I wouldn't mind seeing them in person, as the pictures are stunning enough, I can only imagine how they are up close.

yeah, I started the thread as a tweak also. :p Harry Winston are definitely in the Stratosphere, but there are guys that spend more for lunch than even these cost I guess. It's all relative. haha.

John P.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Guess my question (since this IS a Dive Watch forum) is...

IS a jewel encrusted/precious metal timepiece, (no matter how aesthetically pleasing it may be to "less macho" types) really a divewatch, given that it is not actually manufactured, sold, or bought with the slightest intention to be used in a dive setting?

The same question comes up from time to time on various guitar fora re: "Art Guitars". Wildly embelished, astronomically priced guitar shaped objects that would sound horrible if actually played. No matter what it looks like, if it can't be played musically, is it really a guitar?

Just because it has a rotating bezel and a water resistance rating, is it really a dive watch?

Hmmmm...

B-)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is, technically...

a dive watch if it can be used as one and survive.

I would be tempted to try to make an analogy that some of the same things can be said for cars and motorcycles. A Hayabusa for example can go about 200mph, it's too porky to be really effective as a true race-bike, and I'm sure the manufacturer doesn't really intend many owners to test it's upper limits, yet it's still a "sportbike". The same goes for cars. A Ford GT can hit 205mph, it cost $160k, but I wonder if Ford wants those few lucky owners that bought them to drive down the interstate at 200mph in the land of speed limits, dunno. I guess it's not a great analogy after-all after typing it, but yeah, it's a "dive" watch.

I bet there's a guy out there that would take that HW diving.

John P.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Re: Guess my question (since this IS a Dive Watch forum) is...

"...Just because it has a rotating bezel and a water resistance rating, is it really a dive watch?"
:think:

I'm quite sure if the guy who buys the HW diver takes it diving, he's not too concerned about whether or not the salt water is gonna mess up the fancy gold finish on his watch, but yes, if the watch can function as a dive watch, then is most definitely IS a dive watch...even if the diver is the Sultan of Brunei! B-)

BT

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Well it's different.....................:think: I do like the strap and the case design though.
Regards

·
Registered
149 Posts
Apart from finding the watch looking cheesy, why would anybody spend serious money on something which has HARRY written on it ?
I mean, that's not even a real name, it's a school-yard nick... ;-) .

Let me guess, this thing is made in US America , for new-rich Americans ?

:-D
Tom

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Apart from finding the watch looking cheesy, why would anybody spend serious money on something which has HARRY written on it ?
I mean, that's not even a real name, it's a school-yard nick... ;-) .

Let me guess, this thing is made in US America , for new-rich Americans ?

:-D
Tom
I doubt "new-rich Americans" have any better or worse taste than "new-rich" europeans, asians, etc. etc..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts