WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In July, I bought a few years old Rolex OP36 (116000). It was in great shape and looked almost new. It seemed to stop a lot and stopped on my wrist one time. I figured that it was time to have it serviced as it is between 5 and 8 years old. I took it into the jewelry store where I got my Grand Seikos and other watches. They have a retired Rolex trained watchmaker that has access to parts. They also give a 2 year warranty. The watchmaker had it for 3 weeks and serviced it and replaced all the seals and the rotor axle (the only known issue with the bullet proof 31xx movements)

The watch came back to me looking good and seemed to run much better. However it still seemed to stop sooner then I expected. I manually wound it up 40 times and then left it alone on my desk and I got a bit over 47 hours before it wound down (which is in specs)

I handed it back in and the watchmaker kept it for about 2 weeks and ran tests on it. he even wore it a few days to make sure it was autowinding. After he brought it back to the store, the store itself asked to keep it for a week to make sure it was working. They put it on the watch winder and it ran fine. I got it back and it ran fine for the next two days and then stopped. (I tried to wear it at least 7 or 8 hours a day)

So I started back at square one and wound the watch manually 40 times and left it on the night stand. i got a bit over 47 hours (again) before it wound down, so the watch's power reserve was good

My next plan of attack was to wind the watch 40 times manually and then put it on the wrist. I would note the time I wound it and put on my wrist i would then estimate 47 hours(the PR the watch has off wrist after 40 winds) from the time I manually wound and put the watch on the wrist.

I then would note the time I took the watch off and the time when I put it back on. I would compare it against the 47 hour PR. If the watch was running past the 47 hours then I know the autowinding is working and I am just not as active as I should be(despite being able to wear a Seiko automatic and have no issues). If it does stop at the 47 hours then the autowinding is not working

I was due to start this phase of testing last Sat but I still have not done so. Instead I have been wearing a $6.00 1993 Timex Ironman I found at a thrift store.

It is like I just lost interest in this watch.

Have any of you folks been excited to buy a watch and loved it initially and then find you really don't like it as much? Have you ever sent a watch out for service and ended up losing interest in it?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I fall in/out of love for a particular watch all the time. There are actually two specific watches that I’ve bought and sold twice now and am considering a 3rd go at them lol.

With that said, it hasn’t been due to the fact that it was having issues like yours but I can understand why that would turn you off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I'm usually pretty consistent in what I like and don't like but I think it's fair to say that most all of us fall for a particular watch once in a while then figure out at some point later on that it...wasn't the one. This of course is one of the reasons why the For Sale forum has endless amounts of watches listed.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I had a Hamilton KFM with a date window. I thought I loved it for the first six months. Then I got a hand wound watch without a date window.

Never wanted to wear the Hamilton again and just gave it away.

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
Back in 2014 I was pretty much head over heels with my blue Seastar but this has faded over time to a meh!

·
Premium Member
36,286 Posts
I do this all the time. My watch mood changes faster than the weather, so just SOP for me.......

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Yep. All sorts of things can make that happen.

Sometimes I felt like that when the strap was worn out and I had to replace it. The new strap might even look great, but it's just not the same thing any longer. Or a new strap makes an old watch super exciting again. It can go both ways.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I was excited when I got my old Seagull, Swatch, and B&M and they are now gone.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
I read about Russian watches for weeks and then got a Vostok and Poljot 3133. They did not stay for even a year, and I was forcing myself to wear them after the few initial weeks.
No issues with the watch but the theory was more interesting than the watches.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Sounds like you fell off the boat because of issues with that particular watch and not necessarily the watch itself. Though your experience possibly and rightly soured you on the brand / model again.

I was really excited when I bought my first decent watch, a Timefactors Speedbird. It was a nice watch and of high quality given the price, but rather generic by design and I got bored with it after about two years. My tastes changed also as I went from liking pilot watches and hating dive watches to liking dive watches and being completely indifferent to pilot watches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts